Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Border Control (Saudi Arabia issues demands to Qatar)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Have you seen this link in the article, Skids?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-13/peter-dutton-defends-work-rights-process-for-asylum-seekers/6389996?pfmredir=sm

Quote:
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has defended the process for granting work rights to asylum seekers living in the community.

Around 24,000 asylum seekers who arrived under the former government are yet to be processed and those who want to work need approval from Mr Dutton.

The Greens and refugee advocates both argue that the process is inefficient and say asylum seekers should automatically be given work rights.

But Mr Dutton said the process was working and that he would continue to process each individual case, despite the task being estimated to take until 2018 to complete.

Otherwise, there are many reasons refugees might struggle to find work, including unrecognised qualifications (probably the biggest one), poor English skills, mental health issues including PTSD, disability or dependent family members. I don't know if you're trying to imply that refugees are lazy dole bludgers who don't want to work, but I expect that the opposite is true: most presumably want to work as much as the average Australian-born citizen, if not more. The answer to statistics like those must surely be "how can we give refugees easier pathways and better incentives to work", not "refugees are by nature a drain on the system who don't give anything back".

It's really saddening to see so much uninformed prejudice on this topic.

Good point.
But also maybe points to too many being admitted before they are intergrated sufficiently. (But then it's also percentages stated, percentages of how many total? That makes a big difference!)

I also agree with Stui, ban all full face coverings, it's an identity threat. You can't walk into a bank in a helmet of any kind,

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:07 am

It's all a question of resources at the end of the day. As the article I posted up there (which is two years old, but I doubt much has changed) suggests, no recent government has shown enough interest in putting the money into it or spending time developing the right social policy for refugee integration. Sometimes we shape our own destiny.

However much is needed, it couldn't be anywhere near as expensive as our militarised deterrence fleets and overseas prison camps.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:08 am

Or the money it's costing in theft, medical expenses to victims, fear, and locking the bad ones up!

Maybe some of the cash recovered from the ATO thieves could help.

PS I've said before I have a friend who is deputy head of a primary school with mostly refugee kids and some of their stories and challenges are just terrible. It takes a lot of money to fix these things and a lot of compassion. She says there are plenty that really appreciate the assistance given but also too many that want to bring their not so good habits with them. I'll go in to it more when I'm not tapping on a phone in the desert. Cheers

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:48 am

David wrote:
It's all a question of resources at the end of the day. As the article I posted up there (which is two years old, but I doubt much has changed) suggests, no recent government has shown enough interest in putting the money into it or spending time developing the right social policy for refugee integration. Sometimes we shape our own destiny.

However much is needed, it couldn't be anywhere near as expensive as our militarised deterrence fleets and overseas prison camps.

I'd broadly agree.

if we're going to bring in refugees, we can't treat them like skilled migrants and just drop them somewhere and hope for the best, we need to invest in helping them integrate and assimilate. Give them resources, get em into the workforce, get em mixing with other Australians.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:22 pm

There were vast numbers of refugees resettled in the aftermath of the Second World War, many of whom had seen things at least equivalent to those of modern refugees. I read little in the history of these post War migrations to suggest the kinds of anti-social behavior we incur today. Perhaps this might suggest that the problem is not with refugees, but with the society we have become and the way we excuse anti-social behavior and negate individual autonomy through the misuse of psychiatric ideas such as addiction and PTSD etc.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Mugwump wrote:
There were vast numbers of refugees resettled in the aftermath of the Second World War, many of whom had seen things at least equivalent to those of modern refugees. I read little in the history of these post War migrations to suggest the kinds of anti-social behavior we incur today. Perhaps this might suggest that the problem is not with refugees, but with the society we have become and the way we excuse anti-social behavior and negate individual autonomy through the misuse of psychiatric ideas such as addiction and PTSD etc.

A key difference was, although they were from different cultural backgrounds, but most were from a version of Christianity so there were some shared cultural beliefs.

having said that, back then the men went to work and the women stayed home. many women who came from Greece and Italy in the 50's still can't converse comfortably in English.

The other key difference was, society was indeed different. People returning from the war most likely did suffer from PTSD but back then, it was treated far differently. I've listened to my mothers stories about being a 6 year old child at the end of WWII and her uncle who spent several years in Changi returned from the way. How the kids were warned how to behave, how everyone walked on eggshells around him for years. She didn't know him before he went away to war but there's no doubt he came back a different man and took years to adjust, if he ever really did.

Some of these people have grown up in warzones, have learned behaviour from childhood that just doesn't work in our society. Putting some things in place to encourage assimilation would be a worthwhile investment IMHO

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 pm

This is the crap our new settlers want to bring here... absolute disgrace Evil or Very Mad

Muslim woman Moutia Elzahed, charged over refusal to stand in court, considers challenge.

During the civil hearing, Ms Elzahed's barrister Clive Evatt told the court his client "won't stand for anyone except Allah".

Today Ms Elzahed's solicitor Zali Burrows said she has been speaking to two barristers about launching a constitutional challenge but could not provide any more details at this stage.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/muslim-woman-moutia-elzahed-charged-over-refusal-to-stand-in-court-considers-challenge/ar-BBCGCNx?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=HPCDHP

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Skids wrote:
This is the crap our new settlers want to bring here... absolute disgrace Evil or Very Mad

Muslim woman Moutia Elzahed, charged over refusal to stand in court, considers challenge.

During the civil hearing, Ms Elzahed's barrister Clive Evatt told the court his client "won't stand for anyone except Allah".

Today Ms Elzahed's solicitor Zali Burrows said she has been speaking to two barristers about launching a constitutional challenge but could not provide any more details at this stage.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/muslim-woman-moutia-elzahed-charged-over-refusal-to-stand-in-court-considers-challenge/ar-BBCGCNx?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=HPCDHP

for me that shit just doesn't fly. "When in Rome". If you aren't willing to obey the laws of the country you are in, you go to Gaol or leave. That shit we need to stop piss farting around about. You're free to have your religious beliefs but the laws of the land over rule those, always.
/argument

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 pm

What happened to her?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Skids wrote:

for me that shit just doesn't fly. "When in Rome". If you aren't willing to obey the laws of the country you are in, you go to Gaol or leave. That shit we need to stop piss farting around about. You're free to have your religious beliefs but the laws of the land over rule those, always.
/argument

Another example of contempt for the law.

I read today in the Melbourne paper that there have been 118 examples of police vehicles being deliberately rammed in the last year in Victoria, and that crime statistics of all sort, notably violent crime and violent home invasions are car jacking, are soaring. The government is now considering mandatory min sentences of two years for ramming a police vehicle.

I can't think of a better indicator of loss of fear of the law than deliberately ramming a police vehicle ; and once ordinary criminals lose their fear of the law, the public is in real danger, as the statistics show. The cost, in terms of a pyramid of silent misery and grief among the law-abiding and peaceable, are enormous.

Meanwhile, three federal ministers are being called before the unelected judges by lawyers for the lese majeste of criticizing sentencing practices. If we want an emblem of the tail wagging the dog, here we have it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:30 pm

Skids wrote:

At least she made the effort to turn up...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jun/15/belle-gibson-court-struggles-to-determine-penalty-after-no-show

Seriously, this is what grinds your gears? Not standing for a judge? Wait until you hear about those Anzacs and their lack of respect for their British superior officers!

FFS, you happily admit to smoking weed in open defiance of Australian law. I think your prejudice may be coming through a little here.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:22 pm

^

To use a Tanninism,

Woosh.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:25 am

We got off track in this thread a while ago, but here's the latest on Qatar: the Saudis have presented a list of demands to the country and given it ten days to comply.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/23/close-al-jazeera-saudi-arabia-issues-qatar-with-13-demands-to-end-blockade

Some of the items on the list seem reasonable enough – asking them to stop funding terrorist organisations – while others are outrageous, like demanding that they shut down the Al-Jazeera TV network and break off ties with Iran, a key economic partner. Interesting times ahead, to say the least...

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:29 am

I find it ironic that Saudi Arabia is barking orders at Qatar considering they're one of the biggest exporters behind the ideology that propels Islamist terrorism in the first place and they've funded hard-line Sunni jihadist groups as well.

That's not to say that Qatar is absolved of any blame or responsibility, but I just find it amusing that Saudi Arabia are trying to depict themselves as squeaky clean compared to their fellow neighbouring state.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:21 am

The ex Thai PM Thaksin was granted a passport by one of those jokers.He was kicked out by the military which is well probably worse.Money tals and BS walks.

If i was Qatar I would tell Saudi Arabia to piss off. Sovereign states, for all their faults, must remain so.

Maybe the Sausis should just call them recalcitrant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: