Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What a hypocritical Country!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:18 pm
Post subject: What a hypocritical Country!Reply with quote

Australians get up in arms about greyhound racing.... one state even banned it for a while because of live baiting. You know, the odd chook or piglet getting munched on (I, in no way, condone this).

Yet, every day, 1000's of Aussies flock to the filthy, corrupt, shit hole in Indonesia, called Bali!

Anyone who visits this vile country needs to read the whole abc report. I never have and never will travel to the shit hole!

A shocking Animals Australia investigation has documented Bali’s elusive dog meat trade — fuelled in part by international tourists.

Dumped in bamboo crates or plastic rice sacks, terrified dogs await the nightly slaughter with legs tied and mouths taped shut. They may languish like this for hours or days without food or water. One by one they will be brutally slaughtered in full view of their companions.

And business is booming. Year on year, seven times more dogs are slaughtered in Bali than in China’s notorious Yulin Dog Eating Festival.

"Poisoned baits were laid on a dirt path amid the labyrinth of Denpasar's back streets. Before long a lean and timid black dog appeared and ate one. The bait acted to 'stun' the dog and a gang member quickly grabbed him by the front leg while another leapt in to shove more poison down his throat. He began foaming at the mouth and collapsed as he tried to escape.

"While the effects of the poison were rapid, the dog's death was slow and it was obvious he was wracked with pain. Eventually, his laboured breathing stopped and he was dead. The gang quickly took to him with a blow torch to burn off his fur.

"Even as the dog's legs were cut off his body, a gang member announced that another dog had taken a bait. As I repositioned myself to capture this on film, I was gutted to see it was a small white puppy who was eating the poisoned treat. It took many agonising minutes for the puppy to die, and for the first time in my career, I turned off the camera. I sat stroking him as he died and found myself apologising for the cruelty of my fellow man

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-19/bali-dog-meat-trade-investigator-reveals-brutality-of-hunters/8626172?pfmredir=sm

Last edited by Skids on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypocrisy cuts both ways. No question these practices are cruel and should be stamped out, but let's look after our backyard before pointing the finger elsewhere. Our own factory farming would be a good place to start.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 pm

It would be nice if our own factory farming would be a good place to start.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 pm

David wrote:
Hypocrisy cuts both ways. No question these practices are cruel and should be stamped out, but let's look after our backyard before pointing the finger elsewhere. Our own factory farming would be a good place to start.

A great comparison David, just great.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Spot on Skids.

David: you nailed it.

(Refer Shakespeare, Romeo And Juliet Act 3, scene 1, 90–92.)

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Well, yes, Skids, it is absolutely awful. Now I know this, I will never travel to Bali again.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Skids wrote:
David wrote:

A great comparison David, just great.

TP and I have had this argument a number of times, but I'll say again what I've said there: we don't treat animals as badly as they're sometimes treated in other (generally poorer and less socially progressive) countries, but we still treat them pretty abysmally. Consider the miserable conditions chickens are kept in from birth to death, or the hormones pumped into calves, or the hellish transport to the slaughterhouses. And at the end of the day, they all die just so we don't have to eat lentil burgers. So I find this kind of holier-than-thou approach towards cruelty in other countries – how dare you torture animals worse than we torture ours! – a little myopic and possibly disingenuous.

By all means, we should discuss the kinds of horrors exposed in the article and consider ways to stop them from happening. But using them to denigrate an entire people as barbarians (or worse) is, again, hypocrisy.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Never have and never will go to Bali.

If you can remotely compare a dog... commonly known as 'Mans best friend' being baited, tortured and submitted to what can only be described as a barbaric death. To the farming of a chicken, you are more deluded than i have ever imagined.

HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:00 am

What was the last one you saw?
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:05 am

Tannin wrote:
Spot on Skids.

David: you nailed it.

(Refer Shakespeare, Romeo And Juliet Act 3, scene 1, 90–92.)

How do you know all this!? Confused Cool

Very cool.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:40 am

^ Google. Smile
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:30 am

^ factory farming is an area which should be reformed in my opinion, to bring it further within an overall system and culture which acknowledges the need to treat animals humanely.

It's hardly equivalent to a system that does not, and I'd suggest your reflex desire to attack your own society and mitigate any other, is leading to a false equivalence.

For all that, the first reason not to go to Bali is that Indonesia treats people -especially West Papuans and Timorese - inhumanely. If you can get past that, dogs are another good reason.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:47 am

Don't agree with dogs slaughter either but I am always a bit wary of people who slag off an entire nation when they have never been. I live in SE Asia and it is a vexed question as the Cambodians and Fillipinos love dog meat and my girlfriends family in Thailand hads had pets nicked and presumably ended in the pot as the itinerant farm workers are Cambodians. The majority of Indonesians are Muslim and don't keep dogs. They are considered unclean.
I saw the report and Hindus don't eat then either in the main. Most of the stray dogs in Asia are pests because the are dumped, not looked after and left to breed. A big part of the problem is the tourists, and it would be fair to say a significant number of Aussies in Bali and Phuket, feed the buggers. Organisations like Soi Dog in Thalland and others try to help by desexing and treating the animals but most volunteers are vets on holidays and the yobbos give them stuff all to pay for medicine etc.

My brother had a rat issue outside his house in Borneo but his wife wouldn't let him get a Fox Terrier because she is muslim and didn't want a dog.

It is a little more complex than slagging off 120 million people because of one report.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:08 am

Can't wait to get to Bali in a few weeks. Sate Dog? That's different I wonder if we get to pick which breed? Shocked I loved the story and the WA bogans who are just clueless, buying shit off the street sitting there in their Bintang T-Shirts. Laughing I laughed and the Mrs laughed as when us Older East Coasters are in Bali we are pretty much embarrassed by our West Coast counterparts. Travelling to Bali for them is like Brisbane for us.

Corruption is rife as is criminal activity and scams. Nothing like visiting a country without a welfare system and getting a real eye opener in what we will become if the LNP have their way. The Balinese are lovely people, warm and friendly and very laid back and that is pretty much why Australians get along with them. In saying that we do have the fwit bogan element who thinks they can do as they please and normally end up in the shit.

When people died in the bombings (mostly Balinese), people helped each other. Even though the situation was dangerous the Balinese attended and helped, cared for the wounded until help arrived. Many people survived because of the assistance given. The injured Balinese got no assistance from the Indonesian Government where Australians got all the assistance and more.

Each to their own and in saying that I can say that corruption is everywhere not just in Bali. I would suggest corruption is higher dollar terms in Australia than it is in Bali. Have a look at the Adani mine, nothing legit there.
HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:13 am

I sometimes wish people were more logical like robots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10   

Jump to: