Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

FIFO life.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:55 pm
Post subject: FIFO life.Reply with quote

David once asked me, in another thread, about FIFO life and its effects on family life and life in general. This article, written by the daughter of FIFO worker, in todays West Australian, brought a tear to my eye.... as I sit here in my little box on A Saturday night, 1000k's from home.

I woke up at 0130hr this morning to an alarm at our Waste Water treatment plant... got back to sleep about 0230hr, but then got woken up by my neighbour having a shower at 0320hr (the walls are paper thin, you can hear your neighbour fart). My alarm went off at 0420hr.

I've driven 350k's (to an aboriginal community & back) and worked a 12 hr shift. Got back to my donga, had a beer out the front with a mate, then got a call at 1800hr for a leak under a basin in another blokes room..... I could go on but this article is a better description.

The FIFO life can be hard on both workers and families.

My Dad has been a FIFO worker for the last 16 years.

When I was a teenager he wasnt really around for birthdays, Christmases, my school graduation or weekends.

It was hard for us but it wasnt until I was older that I really understood the emotional toll it took on him.

Hed spend most Christmases on the other end of the phone listening while we celebrated only to go back to his empty room in the middle of nowhere, alone.

When some kids at my new school asked me dont you have a dad?, he says it broke his heart

I asked him why he didnt just quit and go home to his family.

He explained that he made four times the amount working away than he would at home -- thats if he could even get a job at home.

Your family gets used to a certain lifestyle and its hard to take that away from them ... besides theres no work for me back home, he said

https://thewest.com.au/news/health/the-fifo-life-can-be-hard-on-both-workers-and-families-ng-b88510115z

partypie 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

sending good thoughts your way at the back of beyond
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:38 pm

As a fellow plumber, I feel your pain. Plenty of work over East, but living in W.A. it's probably the best way of making a decent quid, but yeah family life is the offset.

I've got an old school mate living on the Vic west coast, fifoing to northern W.A. oil rigs. He actually loves it. Each to his own I suppose.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Thanks for posting, Skids it's a good insight and an issue that probably needs to be addressed much more than it has. People doing that kind of work as well as their families could do with more support.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:17 am

My brother and a heap of hs mates got retrenched in Borneo because the coal price is too low. He now flys in and out from Borneo to a gold mine in Surinam. His flight schedule is something like. Balikpapan to Batam. $5 minute ferry to Singapore. Singapore to Amsterdam. Ansterdam ti Instanbul. Instanbul to New York. New York to Miami. Miami to Pariboro. 2 hours flight to jungle and then one hour car ride. It takes near 29 hours. By the time he gets home he is frazzled.And the site is alcohol free and they get half a day off Sunday and head to the nearest town for a beer. (sneaking some back of course).That route is not certain because it is cost dependant. It can take longer.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 am

^

Phuc Dat. Shocked

What's the work schedule? How many days/weeks of work to how long off?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Phuc Dat. Shocked

What's the work schedule? How many days/weeks of work to how long off?

8 weeks on. 4 off. Travel time his his time. He is a smoker too so the stops are a godsend at times.He pays travel above a certain amount which is why he gors to Batam. Saves a few hunded dollars and his mate has a bar there so is a lot cheaper than sitting in Jacks bar in Changi.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Again, geezuz. Shocked Can I assume the 8 weeks on aren't 7 days per week?

Still, that's a single man's caper and even then I'd struggle with it

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:39 am

6 days and Sundays on call. Most of the loacals go to church. He is the maintainance boss so if a truck breaks down he sends a mechanic, a diesel fitter or a auto elec. Then back to watching tv or whatever. A lot of the maids, domestics and working girls are from Indonesia as they are both ex dutch colonies and are on a working holiday from Holland. . Speaking fluent Indo is a good start. When I last saw him he had been on a bender on the airways. He got me banned from a local club in Thailand.

He reckons they work so they don;t get bored and end up getting too involved and start buying love shacks etc.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:03 pm

I do like the lifestyle, I have been fortunate enough to be on 'family friendly' rosters, as they call them, 8 days on/ 6 days off for the past 6 years.

I can't imagine what it's like for blokes on 4/1 or other long swings. A mate of mine does 4 weeks on/ 2 weeks off out of a copper mine in Mongolia.

Even on my roster there are times when you get down. This year I'm away for nearly all my families birthdays.

I wouldn't do anything other than an even time roster.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 pm

Or you could try African FIFO - which actually means walk ( a long long seriously long way) set up your flimsy tent on the side of the road - work and then walk miles back to your tent and rinse and repeat!! Razz for months at a time - couple f the guys we stopped to chat to hadn't been home for 9 months! Shocked
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Or you could try African FIFO - which actually means walk ( a long long seriously long way) set up your flimsy tent on the side of the road - work and then walk miles back to your tent and rinse and repeat!! Razz for months at a time - couple f the guys we stopped to chat to hadn't been home for 9 months! Shocked

Ner the Thai =Cambodian border are lots of farm workers. They congegrate around dams, live in UNHCR tents and have no power. Just light a fire and cook rice and whatever they are picking or have caught or found. They are on 8 bucks a day and send half that home. Unfortunately they also catch peoples dogs for the pot. Who knows when they go home, presumably when the work runs out.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:53 am

A sad reminder of the struggles that come with FIFO.
A girl who had been here for 6 years, in her early 30's, took her own life in her room on Wednesday night.
RIP Louise Crying or Very sad

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 am

Very sad.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 am

Gees thats awful, sorry for your loss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: