Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tom Phillips - Rising Star

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Tom, sometimes we focus on the bad and forget the good things he does. He made 2 terrible decisions what player doesn't? In one of those he redeemed himself.

The kid generally has good skills, very good overhead. I like him, not quick but reads the play well.

Unfortunately we can't all be Pendles, what a game, what a leader.

ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:49 am

Congrats Tommy.

Like Maynard, he makes some mistakes but he is still very young.

Give him another 40 games and 2 years experience and he will be everything we hope he can be.

So far he has had the ability to burn it up on the wing for 25 minutes with 9-10 touches but then can go missing for the next 25. Experience will weed this out hopefully.
Millane42 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Bucks2014 wrote:
Well done Tom, sometimes we focus on the bad and forget the good things he does. He made 2 terrible decisions what player doesn't? In one of those he redeemed himself.

The kid generally has good skills, very good overhead. I like him, not quick but reads the play well.

Not quick? He won the 2k time trial 2 years running....I'd like to be
"not quick" like him...

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Wrapped for Phillips he was very important in the last quarter, worked hard all game !

www.facebook/the hybernators
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Congratulations to Tom Phillips. Well done.

I thought he was in our worst few in the first quarter and a half on Saturday night. To his credit he turned it around & as I noted earlier played a lot better. Keep the learning curve in the right direction.

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Millane42 wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:

"not quick" like him...

Yep that's correct, 2k not a 100m or 200m, 2km. So he has great endurance.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Bucks2014 wrote:
Millane42 wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:

"not quick" like him...

Correct weight. Phillips is not pacy but has extraordinary endurance.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:16 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I don't understand some of the negative comments by some Nicksters towards Phillips. He's still only 20 and has averaged 20 disposals a game this year and on Saturday had 24 disposals, laid 6 tackles and had 3 inside 50s. Not bad for a kid who's played 20 or thereabouts senior games.

I don't see negative comments per se, what I see are comments which try to balance the often ridiculously inflated views of others on the same players. Like calling 18-20 year old kids as superstars, and 200+ game players.

You yourself wax lyrical about Maynard. I think the kids got promise but he's got some flaws too that come from his youth and inexperience. That's not negative, that's just honest assessment.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:41 pm

dalyc wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I don't understand some of the negative comments by some Nicksters towards Phillips. He's still only 20 and has averaged 20 disposals a game this year and on Saturday had 24 disposals, laid 6 tackles and had 3 inside 50s. Not bad for a kid who's played 20 or thereabouts senior games.

I don't see negative comments per se, what I see are comments which try to balance the often ridiculously inflated views of others on the same players. Like calling 18-20 year old kids as superstars, and 200+ game players.

You yourself wax lyrical about Maynard. I think the kids got promise but he's got some flaws too that come from his youth and inexperience. That's not negative, that's just honest assessment.

That's fair enough dalyc. For the record, I think Maynard is going to be a 10 year player for us, with enormous upside. For the record, I never thought that either Swanny or Heater would make it as AFL players. So wtfwik? Wink
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:00 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
dalyc wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

That's fair enough dalyc. For the record, I think Maynard is going to be a 10 year player for us, with enormous upside. For the record, I never thought that either Swanny or Heater would make it as AFL players. So wtfwik? Wink

I held great hopes for Cameron Cloke so I'm no one to follow. On Maynard , I hope you're right. As someone else hAs posted here, I'm not sure he's got the composure to be a backman. Wing maybe.

mosig 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:
Millane42 wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:

"not quick" like him...

Correct weight. Phillips is not pacy but has extraordinary endurance.

Endurance players tend to look fast in the second half / final quarter because they are still going the same pace while everyone else has slowed down from fatigue.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Millane42 wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:

"not quick" like him...

Don't see many Kenyans running in the 100m.

Endurance and speed, 2 different things.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:43 am

Congrats to Tom on the rising star nomination.

Played a good game against the Hawks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: