Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 3 - Sandringham vs Collingwood at Trevor Barker Oval

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Flew down beach road to Martin street Gardenvale. To think we could have bought a beautiful renovators delight in the mid-80's for about $130K but just couldn't afford it at the time Rolling Eyes

Back to the VFL:

Apart from those who I've already mentioned Crocker did some nice things, Blair did too, Aish not so much really (however I was on the wing on the Beach Road side of the things and some of the play was on the beach side of things). Keefe took some big leaps & slowly getting back into it. Thomas starting to get the feel of football again.

it was expected that we would get smacked as Sandy are a good team so given I had low expectations there was a lot to like. They had a huge tall ruckman that gave them first use of the ball & while White & O'Keefe did honourable jobs they are not first ruckmen.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks for the updates WPT and MagpieBat Smile

Goalkicking issues seem to reverberate around the whole club at the moment.

Is it realistic to suggest that De Goey is a likely inclusion next week for the Carlton match?

The Life of Pie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Just back from the game.
Some thoughts. Apart from the first 20 mins when we about 5 goals down, I thought we were the better side. Zebras kicked really well for goal and used the wind well.
Our kicking for goal was average.0
The positives
JDG is a physical presence and played well. Will walk straight in next week.
Kirby, if he can continue to build his tank will be a star. Could have kicked 5 goals.
Pace, aggression, tackling, goal sense and can take a hangar. Here's hoping.
Mayne played better and marked quite well. Lacks penetration in his kicking.
Blair played well as you would expect at this level. Aish, I think played well but slips under the radar, smart player and good mark but I am not sure how many possessions.
I love Shaz and he played okay but didn't kick it as well as last.week.
Keefe and Thomas are definitely improving.
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Just back from the usual windy stroll to a home game for me at Trevor Barker Oval
They had McCartin, Hickey in the ruck and a couple of other big guys we gave up 5 goals in the first 15 minutes.
But we matched it with them after that. Being a Sandy boy born and breed watching guys like Ian Humper Cooper, Bobby Murray Goose Mackenzie and Cuddles Mannix it is always surprising how tricky the breeze is!

We kicked at goal poorly especially in the last and should have challenged and with a bit of luck could have got the chocolates a late bomb from McLarty that Kirby touched flying for a mark might have been the spark. Blair Sharenberg Keefe Mayne all missed kickables with the breeze.

However the positives Kirby has something, Josh Thomas looked like an AFL footballer after half time, Blairy was honest, McLarty had a tough first half but never dropped his head and would have learned a lot today but he kept putting in. I am a big fan of this kid, he might get one or two games this year but he is way off but I think he is a footballer
Lachie Tardrew can we rookie him next year please (it would be nice if he was bigger) but gets it and uses it well

Rupert Wills has really good size and is not far away he wants the ball and gets it and if he hasn't got it he tackles and try's to get it. ready for a midfield promotion and can rest in the forward line he would be a perfect foil for our captain he wants to kick goals
De goey was good but not great
Aish is more inside than he seems in the AFL but is not demanding a spot.
Keefe he was not bad but not great
Gus Borthwick you were tough at it today and was very good
But I really liked C Brown tough better overhead than he should be again a Footballer does the both ways stuff as you would expect but would love him to play AFL in a couple of weeks
lynch does not give up and he had a tough day against Hickey

Just my views from beach side of Trevor Barker Oval

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Aish and De Goey where my 2 Stand Outs
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Thanks guys.
Obvious that JDG comes in.
Should make a difference.
As for Kirby ....we all know he could be anything.
It is between the ears where the great battle will loom that will make or break him

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the updates/thoughts.

I miss going to VFL matches.

Sounds like JDG ready to come straight back in Vs Carlton.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:27 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Thanks guys.
It is between the ears where the great battle will loom that will make or break him

I don't think between the ears is an issue with this kid. Match fitness, conditioning, and continued development are the keys.

The discipline to chase down & tackle were wonderful to see.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:52 pm

Out of curiosity did Nathan Freeman play and how did he go?
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:06 pm

watt price tully wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Thanks guys.

I don't think between the ears is an issue with this kid. Match fitness, conditioning, and continued development are the keys.

The discipline to chase down & tackle were wonderful to see.

Agree 100% has some magic but has a lot of conditioning and game awareness. His run down was great but him being run down in the last was not
Just needs time in games as do virtually all the kids in the magoos
But on yesterday the net first gamer should be Young Brown but we need to let him learn how to play against men

The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:08 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:

He played he got through he had a few touches which is great for him but he did not look like a first round draft pick
Maybe I was looking through my Black n White eyes

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:33 pm

The Average Tourist wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

He played he got through he had a few touches which is great for him but he did not look like a first round draft pick
Maybe I was looking through my Black n White eyes

Thanks Average Tourist.

Nearly 1/2 way through his 3 year deal and still struggling to get a game.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:57 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:

I only saw the 2nd half. He was conspicuous in the last with some good touches but not influential that I noticed.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:41 am

Just a couple of final things to tie this one off, before we send it off to the archives (apologies for overlooking these until now)...

Firstly, no less than 3 separate photo galleries to peruse. We have the usually exceptional talents of our old friend Shane Barrie on display, along with those of Kadek Thatcher (the young woman whose shots I posted in here following the Coburg game) and Sandringham regular Dave Savell. Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/VictoriaParkHC/status/858965470925291520

https://twitter.com/kadeklouise/status/858538819238350849

https://twitter.com/SavellDave/status/858298485002588160

Which brings me to the second and last item (and I suspect I am going to regret this, but you only live once)...

I mentioned here last week that I was unable to do the usual score updates because of "logistical difficulties", which was true, because there is simply no way I could have been using my laptop while doing this. On a whim, I decided to dig out my old handicam, and after getting my hands on a tripod, I headed down to Sandringham to try my hand at what you might call a field trial/experiment, namely filming the game for possible upload and repost to Youtube.

Suffice to say, the results were not entirely satisfying. While I am pleased that I accomplished the task I set out to do, the camera work leaves something to be desired (again, I claim rookie amateur status here; Gregg Toland I am not), the choice of filming positions (particularly in the first half) were not especially wise and there are more clangers here than... well, than an episode of Clangers. But Margaret and David gave it 2 and half stars out of 5, which is the equivalent of a participation ribbon (or, to put it another way, the equivalent of a spot in the Collingwood VFL bests). But, if you can overlook all the flaws, take this for what it is and dose up on your motion sickness medication, then this homemade replay might be able to help put things into context a little bit more, especially when looking at the form line of those running around in the reserves whom you might want to see come into the seniors.

So, without further adieu and for probably the only and last time, here is what I came up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZxIaWV9VUw&list=PLD0uDPAnU3tvqsd0Op895LT_OB3di4qoR

Be gentle, or be quick if you must be brutal...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: