Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Make Australia Great Again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
We are talking about the citizenship test here aren't we?

What's the problem? is there a proposal to deport people who fail the test that i missed or if they have permanent residency do they just continue as that without being able to become a citizen?

is it aimed largely at muslims? not a lot of doubt but again, so what? if people want to live here as a citizen we want them to assimilate to Australian culture. practice their own religion by all means, retain their own cultural heritage by all means, but understand that if you're an Australian citizen, we have one set of laws for all.

Oh god is it? Well at least I can answer the question above, my booking is for 30th June, 9am (seriously how the **** am I going to be in the city at that time? I hate trains, I might sleep over) and I'm not convinced i will pass, I mean I really don't care how many $£$%^%%$ senators we have or where they are, can I write the answers on my hand?

Oh god imagine if I fail the speak English test!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:14 am

Under the new rules, Josh Frydenberg would not be here. Shocked Razz Laughing
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 am

David wrote:
If the sample questions are anything to go by, no nuance or complexity will be involved – the whole thing is merely an opportunity to grandstand by presenting questions that are only permitted to be considered in black or white terms.

Hmmm are they including a" at what age can you legally be married in Australia" question?

A 34-year-old Melbourne man has cried in court while pleading guilty to illegally marrying a 14-year-old bride in an Islamic wedding last year.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-18/melbourne-man-pleads-guilty-to-child-marriage/8451474

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm

^ Yep, that was on the front page as well.

Mugwump, if you're implying that I'm an apologist for female genital mutilation, that's extraordinarily offensive. I find it disappointing when intelligent people dismiss complexities in favour of black and white statements or infer things that aren't being argued.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm

This has nothing to do with anything other than grabbing the one nation votes back in the upcoming Queensland election. This is desperation stakes. Fair Go they speak? Oh, that's unless your one of these restaurant workers being screwed over and exploited. The reaction from the LNP, "if they spoke better English they would know that they are being exploited". WTF? roll: Rolling Eyes
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:52 pm

David wrote:

Mugwump, if you're implying that I'm an apologist for female genital mutilation, that's extraordinarily offensive. I find it disappointing when intelligent people dismiss complexities in favour of black and white statements or infer things that aren't being argued.

Then why on earth would you try to compare it to male circumcision? You made that comparison, hence started the argument which was rightly dismissed as ridiculous by most.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks for pointing that comparison started the argument which was dismissed as ridiculous by most out.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 pm

David wrote:

Sorry, I could have put it better. I am sure that you hate FGM as much as I do. However, I thought that your argument in this instance was (a) that a form of "light cutting" should be considered ok, and (b) that we do something similar anyway with male circumcision. Those are not an apologia, but there is a point where "complexity" cuts both ways. The kind of symbolic cutting that you describe might be bridge out of FGM, but it could also be a bridge toward legitimising it : leading to furry arguments about how much mutilation is allowed within the law, etc. And as everyone has noted, the suggestion that we are being inconsistent in damning FGM while allowing MC also provides a kind of route to acceptance for FGM. There certainly are apologists and provocateurs for FGM in our society who try to portray it as just another cultural practice, no more wrong than some of our own. Your argument seemed to me to lie on that cultural relativist spectrum. Maybe I misunderstood it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: