Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lose to Bulldogs - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Alternatively, we could just accept that our forward line on Friday had almost no-one in it (apart from Moore) that we would actually want to recruit to the Club, if we weren't on here defending them.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Mossi wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Collingwood had the third lowest score of the weekend. Kind of indicative of our forward power.

How about the dogs have the best defence in the comp! Footy writers commentators etc are just raving about how well their defence stood up. We beat them in all other stats so they had to do something right to win. They did kick straight, but their defence from the moment we won the stoppage was exceptional.

Yep, 2nd to none for team defense. It's why they won the flag last year.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ Alternatively, we could just accept that our forward line on Friday had almost no-one in it (apart from Moore) that we would actually want to recruit to the Club, if we weren't on here defending them.

No love for Fas?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:51 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I'm more optimistic than I have been for quite some time. Remember the bookies had the bulldogs at very short odds, suggesting we were in for a smashing. That did not happen. We were extremely competitive against the best team in the comp. We can't be unhappy with that.

I actually think our team just needs a bit of tweaking, to improve us by 5-10% and that will have us beating most sides without doubt. Currently the absence of De Goey, Wells and Greenwood has reduced our midfield depth and forced us to play Sidey in the middle for lengthy spells. He has shown that when he's playing around our goals, the goals will come. I reckon that our forward line will function significantly better when we have both Sidey and Elliott playing as traditional forward pockets. Obviously it's going to be crucial that we get the structure right playing Moore, Cox, White and Grundy. With Grundy our first ruck, it's clear that Cox and White need to spend time on the bench so at any one time we only have 2 key forwards. That's why I think we'll persevere with Cox, because, if nothing else, he is emerging as a very good tap ruckman.

As others have noted, we also have to improve our shape and structure, so as to avoid letting teams run the ball the length of the ground scoring easy goals without any pressure. To be honest, I'm not sure how we stop that, but I've got confidence that Bucks, Sanderson and Burns will identify our mistakes and teach our team how to tighten up defensively. So all in all, though I'm still disappointed we missed a fabulous chance to begin the season with a win, I'm optimistic we are heading in the right direction and already look better than last year. Having said that, the Tigers game is a must win. Go Pies!

PS. For those clamoring for us to play Kirby on the back of his 3 goal hall in a VFL practice game, the word is the club is working to significantly improve his fitness, so he can do all the defensive running necessary to prevent those easy opposition goals we are all so concerned about. So let the kid get on with playing good footy in the VFL, and when he's physically ready, as with young Daics, he'll get a game and be equipped to have an immediate impact at senior level.

Another rational, well articulated post from you Rudeboy. No panic, just straightforward analysis that makes sense. Whatever you are on, can you share it aound other members of this board.

I thought I'd get my rational and well articulated post up early in the season kymbo. Going by previous years, as the season progresses my posts are sure to become increasingly emotive, irrational, inarticulate and panic stricken! Cool
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

No love for Fas?

You're right, JC - I knew there was someone else. Embarassed
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Collingwood had the third lowest score of the weekend. Kind of indicative of our forward power.

Moore - Cox - White - Blair - Mayne is just a beige as f*** forward line of which I haven't seen too many worse listed at Pieland. I mentioned it pre game. I mentioned it to Bucks at the 2013 members' forum. I dunno. I give up. When you watch the slillfull front and centre squads around the league, WTF has Hine built???

ON the other hand, we were the second lowest defeated team, after the suns, all the other sides who lost, were basically belted badly. our loss was quite good really, against the reigning Premier, so theres a silver lining for you Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:44 pm

a good loss lmao
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:39 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
a good loss lmao

Yep, a great loss, well done boys. Coulda done worse, shoulda done worse, Woulda have done better but the rub of the green is perpetually against us.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:00 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
a good loss lmao

WE could have got belted by ten goals, against the Premier, I will take a two goal loss over that ANYDAY. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:18 pm

^^^ I don't think you'll get much argument that a 14-point loss is better than a 60-point loss (unless we are tanking for draft picks). Rather, I think you'll find a few people who don't rate the Welfare that highly and think a competent side with a 4-week head-start to the preseason should be able to knock them off in round one. Like, say, happened to Sydney and GWS (but not to Geelong who were playing the team that finished 16th last year).
bbmods 

Location: PMs TO THIS GROUP MAY NOT BE READ, USE THE EMAIL LINK INSTEAD -->

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:22 pm

How could anyone be too dismissive of the Bulldogs when considering their finals campaign last year. They are a pretty reasonable team and play to their strengths. They play with great confidence and their style of play works well for them.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:28 pm

I don't think anyone's being dismissive of them. They are, however, just a good mid-ranking team that fluked a flag. It's the "just loss to the Premiers" mantra that's a bit irritating. If they hadn't won the Flag, they'd just be the team that finished 7th last season.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:50 pm

^

Minor problem with that logic, they DID win the flag last year

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Honestly, I think the best thing to do is go back to your own personal comments last time we played them last year - that should hold the truth on our true opinions
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Some posters here like to have it both ways. They bag Collingwood and Buckley saying injuries are no excuse and point to the Bulldogs as an example of what can be achieved even when injuries hit.

They then go on to say the Bulldogs aren't that good a side, as they finished 7th, however the impact of the injuries to their finishing position in 2016 are ignored.

Clay Smith kicked 4 goals in a prelim final and had a good grand final and couldn't get a game on Friday night.

Josh Dunkley killed us both times we played them in 2016 and had a great first season, including finals. He also couldn't get a game on Friday night.

They had a couple of handy inclusions on Friday night that didn't have much, if any impact in 2016 in Bob Murphy and Stewart Crameri. Both these players make them a better side.

They also had Suckling and Jong come back into the side, who both would have played in the GF if they had of been fit.

Am I happy we lost on Friday night? absolutely not, because I believe we are as good a side as they are and we had our chances to win. But, don't discount how good the Bulldogs are and where they sit as a side in the competition. They are a young side on the rise, whereas for example Hawthorn are an old side on the decline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22   

Jump to: