Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Doesn't make it ok, needless to say! But yeah, David Bowie is just one other who comes to mind who had sex with an underage girl.

Bill Wyman
Jerry Lee Lewis

Sting wrote a song about it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

or a gangster (Al Capone)

David Bowie had sex with Al Capone?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Did you read the facts ? What is it about the facts of the conviction that suggests it was not paedophilia to you ?

We really do need to get the terminology on this right, Mugwump – paedophilia is a condition, not a crime, and in any case relates to attraction to prepubescent children. Having sex with a 14 year old is generally referred to as statutory rape, and someone who wished to do that would generally be referred to as a hebephile or ephebophile (though could just as easily be a regular heterosexual man acting unethically).

I think it's fair enough to bring stuff like this up, by the way, but it doesn't and shouldn't affect his legacy as a musician.

Sorry for the terminology error, then. As you may recall, I have a lot of sympathy for paedophiles, who are afflicted with a horrible sickness. We should definitely treat this as a medical condition. I have less sympathy with a grown man who commits the various acts of which Berry was convicted over a long period.

The discussion was somewhat sidetracked by my need to justify what I wrote on that specific point. The real point is the way that things which would normally be condemned vigorously by the arbiters of modern morals are airbrushed away because those same people love rock'n'roll (one of our modern religions). There are many whose works are in better taste than their lives. My interest is in the double standard, and what it means.

Yes, he grew up poor and black in a very unjust America. But so did Muhammad Ali, Paul Robeson, Sammy Davis Jr, Nat King Cole, Muddy Waters, William "Count" Basie, and many others. They all had faults, like the rest of us, but I can admire every one of them for their work, their courage and their life. I can't feel that about Chuck Berry. The armed robbery and Mann Act thing can be explained away as youthful hot-headedness. But what sort of man makes non-consensual toilet videos in middle-age ? It's also interesting that flagrant tax evasion is apparently not a big issue if you are a rock'n'roll star, where it would be if someone was a politician or a business executive.

No worries! I agree with a lot of what you write here, and was having a similar discussion on Facebook today about good old Roman Polanski. While I strongly believe in evaluating art and artistic oeuvres without regard for the creator's personal virtues, I also feel that we should be careful not to allow our admiration for an artist to minimise the unethical or illegal things they may have done. As you say, we too often engage in hero worship in this society and it can cloud our ability to recognise that these figures are human beings, with all the failings that entails.

Chuck Berry was a legendary rock musician, perhaps the greatest; he also seems to have been prone to committing unethical, sexually exploitative acts. We can and must accept both of these concepts at the same time. There is nothing inherently paradoxical here.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

it was a threesome. Jagger was involved. Capone was never the same.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:54 pm

David wrote:

No worries! I agree with a lot of what you write here, and was having a similar discussion on Facebook today about good old Roman Polanski. While I strongly believe in evaluating art and artistic oeuvres without regard for the creator's personal virtues, I also feel that we should be careful not to allow our admiration for an artist to minimise the unethical or illegal things they may have done. As you say, we too often engage in hero worship in this society and it can cloud our ability to recognise that these figures are human beings, with all the failings that entails.

Chuck Berry was a legendary rock musician, perhaps the greatest; he also seems to have been prone to committing unethical, sexually exploitative acts. We can and must accept both of these concepts at the same time. There is nothing inherently paradoxical here.

^ Sure. Some of the artists and scientists I admire most were horrible human beings. Sir Isaac Newton, for instance, was a monster. So was Richard Wagner. The work and the life should be separable, and we should be able to carry these facts in mind.

What interests me is the way that people roar about (say) Sir Tim Hunt's rather silly wittering about women in science and he is forced to resign - and yet Chuck Berry's really sinister behaviour is airbrushed out of his obituaries.

I think this is because rock'n'roll gets such a free pass because it fits so comfortably with the libertarian assumptions of the elites of our age. Like everyone else, I like the rock music I like, and I can still play Berry's defining guitar licks - but I think it is overrated as a cultural commodity, and the stars of rock'n'roll are granted licence to behave and pontificate in ways that would not be tolerated in more serious areas. Still, at least Berry did not regale me with witless opinions on politics. And unlike John Lennon, the ne plus ultra of the type, he was not truly nasty to the people who were close to him. It takes a special kind of viciousness to do that.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 pm

David wrote:
Doesn't make it ok, needless to say! But yeah, David Bowie is just one other who comes to mind who had sex with an underage girl.

No it doesn't

Bowie too huh?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 am

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

it was a threesome. Jagger was involved. Capone was never the same.

Neither was Jagger after Capone sent him a Valentine.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:00 am

Cub Coda's biography from Allmusic.com includes the following:

'Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers. Quite simply, without him there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, nor a myriad others. There would be no standard "Chuck Berry guitar intro," the instrument's clarion call to get the joint rockin' in any setting. The clippety-clop rhythms of rockabilly would not have been mainstreamed into the now standard 4/4 rock & roll beat. There would be no obsessive wordplay by modern-day tunesmiths; in fact, the whole history (and artistic level) of rock & roll songwriting would have been much poorer without him. Like Brian Wilson said, he wrote "all of the great songs and came up with all the rock & roll beats." Those who do not claim him as a seminal influence or profess a liking for his music and showmanship show their ignorance of rock's development as well as his place as the music's first great creator. Elvis may have fueled rock & roll's imagery, but Chuck Berry was its heartbeat and original mindset.

... for all of his off-stage exploits and seemingly ongoing troubles with the law, Chuck Berry remains the epitome of rock & roll, and his music will endure long after his private escapades have faded from memory. Because when it comes down to his music, perhaps John Lennon said it best, "If you were going to give rock & roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." '

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/chuck-berry-mn0000120521/biography
Larabee 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:43 pm
Post subject: Vale Drew MorphettReply with quote

He passed away last night. I always thought he was a good AFL commentator, not that footy means anything when confronted with eternity.

Condolences to his wife and family.

"Commentator and long-time colleague Sandy Roberts paid tribute to his friend, who he described as “very professional, but also mischievous”. He was very versatile as a broadcaster,” Roberts said. I just loved him as a mate – he had a couple of standard sayings. He called a lot of Daicos goals and his catch-cry was “magnificent”.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/sports-broadcaster-drew-morphett-dies-aged-69/news-story/d45bb842983aedf36300944e185ee9fe

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Very sad, taken far too soon, great commentator. Vale.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:54 pm

A really good bloke. Sad loss to us all.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Fkn hell, only 69 too!

Just like that, he wasn't even ill.

RIP Drew.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:06 pm

(Cross-posted from the VPT thread.)

Oh no! The best caller in the game - not just footy, practically any game. Drew was the master.

Drew dreamed about calling sport even as a little boy growing up in Sydney. It was all he ever wanted to do. One day, still only in his teens, he was one of a small group of youngsters who managed to get an interview with the ABC Sport Department, which took place at a Sydney footy ground some hours before the game. (Being Sydney, this was Rugby League of course.)

The interview went OK. Rather to their surprise, the boys were then invited to call a few minutes each of the no-account seconds game that happened to be on. Obviously, no-one knew any of the players or their numbers. that was OK, said the senior man, you haven't had a chance to study, just make something up or say "Number 3" or "the full-back".

When Drew's turn came along, he knew every player on both sides and called them accurately. Young Drew loved his sport and "just happened" to know every player in every team - first and seconds both - in the New South Wales Rugby League. So he ignored the instructions and called them all by name.

He got the job.

He was posted to Western Australia as a cadet, and thrown straight into calling the completely unfamiliar game of Aussie Rules. Took to it like a duck to water, and never looked back.

Even when he was right royally shafted by Tony Abbot's disgraceful "no cuts to the ABC" savage cuts and sacked, he took it in good spirit and finished his days at an inferior commercial broadcaster, never showing any trace of bitterness. He just went on calling sport in his inimitable way.

Go well Drew Morphett. Top bloke; best sport broadcaster of our generation. No-one else ever managed your unique blend of easy-going style, true-to-life accuracy, tremendous knowledge, understanding, and infectious good humour.

You will be sadly missed.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Very sad and sudden news.

Vale Drew Morphett

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:04 pm

An iconic call of an iconic moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-ckJ4zhmA

Rest in Peace, Drew.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 70 of 100   

Jump to: