Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

You know you're back on Nick's when ...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think better 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we all have Hal to keep us on track
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:25 am

Do you mean you and me have?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Skids wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:
Meanwhile other Collingwood supporters are declaring our club as the 2017 premiers already (according to Kevin Bartlett):

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-fans-getting-ahead-of-themselves-says-kevin-bartlett-after-premiership-declaration-following-preseason-win/news-story/d2b5743fad615d5918132833d4c0eadd

Laughing Laughing

Who writes this shit?! I haven't even seen a highlight from the game yet, it was a practice match Cool

(The Coooolllliiinnnnggggwoooood chant didn't really go up.... did it?)

yes it did, twice!!

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Got to love Collingwood fans - those of us who have been around the block a few times understand that teams take time to gel - there will always be the impatient and opinionated but in general most Collingwood people are genuine and constant.

What amuses me most is that some simply cannot comprehend that in a competition of 18 teams and an unbalanced draw along with an AFL comission that seems intent on framing rules that just push players to the brink of injury game after game you have a recipe for failure.

MUCH more of a raffle nowadays but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good discussion.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:10 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Got to love Collingwood fans - those of us who have been around the block a few times understand that teams take time to gel - there will always be the impatient and opinionated but in general most Collingwood people are genuine and constant.

What amuses me most is that some simply cannot comprehend that in a competition of 18 teams and an unbalanced draw along with an AFL comission that seems intent on framing rules that just push players to the brink of injury game after game you have a recipe for failure.

MUCH more of a raffle nowadays but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good discussion.

Hang on a sec. Are you suggesting that the last 5 years has been about needing "time to gel"???

I've been "around the block" once or twice also, I've been a Magpie for 45+ years, and have never wavered, never changed, & never left a game early, (including the '84 Prelim when Essendon slammed us by 140 odd. I've watched us lose 11 Grannys & win just two, and I've played the game at most levels. I know this game and I know Collingwood, and if you're telling me the story of the last 5 years was the players not gelling, you're either being dishonest or you don't know the game very well.
I thought we 'gelled' fairly well in 2010, and even more so in 2011, our best H&A season since the '20s
The 5 years since have seen us win less games each year, they've seen premiership players leave en masse, and they’ve seen injury lists among the longest in the game for 5 years, something completely unprecedented in football, and possibly any major sport - I'm yet to find any sporting team that has come close. I've also seen people here come up with bizarre & outlandish excuses for our downward spiral in an attempt to justify keeping the worst coach in our 125 year history. That's not opinion, that’s fact, backed up by the numbers.

If you've been watching the last 5 years as closely as I have you would know that Buckley's training methods cause injuries and shorten careers. His game day performance is weak & ineffectual. And he simply didn't have the players behind him, certainly in his first 4 years. Sooner or later one would expect him to improve, but there's been precious little sign of it, In fact I have asked & asked the Buckley apologists to give examples of clever coaching over three years and has received not one single answer, zip! Even I can think of one or two good moves he's made, but apparently I'm Robinson!

The thing which has kept us from winning a couple of wooden spoons has been the recruiting, trading, and nurturing of new players. Nearly all the new players we've picked up since 2013 have been successful, and some have become absolute guns. If it weren't for players like Grundy, Treloar Adams, Moore, Crisp, & Phillips - to name just a few, we'd be really screwed. Whatever part, if any, Buckley has played in this phenomenon, he deserves congratulations for it.

Rest assured, history will be the judge, and the great "Succession" will go down as one of the great cock-ups of our great game, if not sport in general.
I've heard some bizarre stories & justifications here about how we would've fallen apart after 2011 if MM hadn't been dumped. Frankly this is one of the most ridiculous assertions I've heard, and every factor points to the exact opposite. It requires a short memory to buy that crap.

I'm not 'negative' about Collingwood, never have been. The only great problem I can see is the senior coach. Our list is great, as is our recruiting & our ability to bring kids through much faster than expected. With the addition of Dunne, Shade, & WHE we don't have a weak line, and I know our guys can get the job done despite the coach. This year I expect 12 or more wins. People forget we were in the top 4 at the halfway mark of 2014 & 2015, and beat several of the teams which played finals last year, very nearly beating a few more. Of course I'd love to hear the AFL explain how a team which finished 12th gets both grand finalists in the first 3 rounds, 3 of the 4 prelim finalists by the all-important Rd.6 and the whole top 4 by Rd.9. How is that right? It's a pattern which has been unbroken for several years, and simply can't be an accident.
Still, I am dying to see young Daicos play, the first JLT & the intra-club showed he has the goods, and I'm excited about Callum Brown, and big improvements from Phillips, DeGoey, Smith, Cox, and others. My big worry is injuries. If our record run of injuries continues, we'll be in trouble again, and the early signs aren't good. with 9 blokes on the list weeks before Rd.1. However, if by some miracle this turns around I believe we can do anything.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:23 pm

35forever wrote:
I've heard some bizarre stories & justifications here about how we would've fallen apart after 2011 if MM hadn't been dumped. Frankly this is one of the most ridiculous assertions I've heard, and every factor points to the exact opposite. It requires a short memory to buy that crap...

Mate we'll never know. We still would have made the finals in 2012 & 2013, but it was plainly obvious teams were passing us by that stage. Then the ageing of Jolly, Didak, Maxy and co really started to unsettle the balance.
We still might have retained Heath Shaw after 2013, but chances are Taylor Adams would therefore have wound up at Geelong. And I doubt Shaw's presence alone would have catapulted us into a spot in the eight in 2014/2015/2016.
Would we really be in any better position if Thomas, Dawes and Wellingham had stayed as well? Beams would still be crippled with injuries regardless if he hadn't got off the bus. DeGoey and Crispy are ample compensation for this loss.
Cloke is the only variable that had any realistic influence on our fortunes.

Anyhoo, let's see what the side dish up in the first eight weeks before we swing the axe over the coach eh?

cheers

Dyso

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:27 pm

35forever wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Hang on a sec. Are you suggesting that the last 5 years has been about needing "time to gel"???

I've been "around the block" once or twice also, I've been a Magpie for 45+ years, and have never wavered, never changed, & never left a game early, (including the '84 Prelim when Essendon slammed us by 140 odd. I've watched us lose 11 Grannys & win just two, and I've played the game at most levels. I know this game and I know Collingwood, and if you're telling me the story of the last 5 years was the players not gelling, you're either being dishonest or you don't know the game very well.
I thought we 'gelled' fairly well in 2010, and even more so in 2011, our best H&A season since the '20s
The 5 years since have seen us win less games each year, they've seen premiership players leave en masse, and they’ve seen injury lists among the longest in the game for 5 years, something completely unprecedented in football, and possibly any major sport - I'm yet to find any sporting team that has come close. I've also seen people here come up with bizarre & outlandish excuses for our downward spiral in an attempt to justify keeping the worst coach in our 125 year history. That's not opinion, that’s fact, backed up by the numbers.

If you've been watching the last 5 years as closely as I have you would know that Buckley's training methods cause injuries and shorten careers. His game day performance is weak & ineffectual. And he simply didn't have the players behind him, certainly in his first 4 years. Sooner or later one would expect him to improve, but there's been precious little sign of it, In fact I have asked & asked the Buckley apologists to give examples of clever coaching over three years and has received not one single answer, zip! Even I can think of one or two good moves he's made, but apparently I'm Robinson!

The thing which has kept us from winning a couple of wooden spoons has been the recruiting, trading, and nurturing of new players. Nearly all the new players we've picked up since 2013 have been successful, and some have become absolute guns. If it weren't for players like Grundy, Treloar Adams, Moore, Crisp, & Phillips - to name just a few, we'd be really screwed. Whatever part, if any, Buckley has played in this phenomenon, he deserves congratulations for it.

Rest assured, history will be the judge, and the great "Succession" will go down as one of the great cock-ups of our great game, if not sport in general.
I've heard some bizarre stories & justifications here about how we would've fallen apart after 2011 if MM hadn't been dumped. Frankly this is one of the most ridiculous assertions I've heard, and every factor points to the exact opposite. It requires a short memory to buy that crap.

I'm not 'negative' about Collingwood, never have been. The only great problem I can see is the senior coach. Our list is great, as is our recruiting & our ability to bring kids through much faster than expected. With the addition of Dunne, Shade, & WHE we don't have a weak line, and I know our guys can get the job done despite the coach. This year I expect 12 or more wins. People forget we were in the top 4 at the halfway mark of 2014 & 2015, and beat several of the teams which played finals last year, very nearly beating a few more. Of course I'd love to hear the AFL explain how a team which finished 12th gets both grand finalists in the first 3 rounds, 3 of the 4 prelim finalists by the all-important Rd.6 and the whole top 4 by Rd.9. How is that right? It's a pattern which has been unbroken for several years, and simply can't be an accident.
Still, I am dying to see young Daicos play, the first JLT & the intra-club showed he has the goods, and I'm excited about Callum Brown, and big improvements from Phillips, DeGoey, Smith, Cox, and others. My big worry is injuries. If our record run of injuries continues, we'll be in trouble again, and the early signs aren't good. with 9 blokes on the list weeks before Rd.1. However, if by some miracle this turns around I believe we can do anything.

Yes we all know about your problem with the coach, some of us can look beyond our hobby horse however.
As for gelling over 5 years I don't think so, nothing in football is so simplistic - not even coaching.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Still how long? Better call a doctor.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:25 am

You know when you're back on Nicks when you start a post hoping to get a few funny posts, and what you get is the same old posters posting the same shit they've been writing for years and arguing with the same posters they've been arguing with for years.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Skids wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:
Meanwhile other Collingwood supporters are declaring our club as the 2017 premiers already (according to Kevin Bartlett):

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-fans-getting-ahead-of-themselves-says-kevin-bartlett-after-premiership-declaration-following-preseason-win/news-story/d2b5743fad615d5918132833d4c0eadd

Laughing Laughing

Who writes this shit?! I haven't even seen a highlight from the game yet, it was a practice match Cool

(The Coooolllliiinnnnggggwoooood chant didn't really go up.... did it?)

Yeah but why not? It's been 6 months since they saw the boys in action and they were playing some pretty good footy to come from behind in a game they weren't expected to go close in. Praccy game or not, there's nothing wrong with having a barrack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: