Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Memories of the fire/brawl against the Bombers at Vic Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

magpie greg wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
Mountains Magpie wrote:
I love the history of our great club but you can't buy that stuff in books Magpie Greg. Sensational reading !!!

Please sir, can we have some more ??

Magpie Greg, here's two book ideas that I reckon you could carry out. They would add immeasurably to our club's wonderful history and fans (including me) would snap them up.

1. A book describing the year we had in 1970, round-by-round - the best side by a long way, playing modern football with real skill, leading up to the tragedy of the GF. There's been a book by Martin Flanagan on the 1970 GF (out of print), but nothing on that year of Magpie excellence.

2. The Hafey Years - I think most would agree old Tommy was hard done by in getting the sack. I mean anyone who to takes an ordinary football team (remember we won the dreaded Spoon in 1976) to five consecutive GFs must have been doing something right. The drawn GF in 1977 had so much drama (Carmen's suspension, Twiggy's mark!), and the cheating scum Harms who conned the boundary ump into calling a ball in from the Members Stand to pinch the 1979 flag - is that the biggest injustice in footy history?

Drama, action, intrigue from the greatest club of all. Magpie Greg. Write the books and we will buy them! Wink

Fabulous Phil Carmen (pictured below) was the best player in the VFL in the mid-seventies. But his suspension in the lead-up to the 1977 GF almost certainly gifted a flag to the luckiest bastard ever to coach a football team (Ronald Dale Barassi). How else can you describe Barassi after the luck he had in the 1970 GF when Peter McKenna (who had been starring) was accidentally knocked senseless by one of our own blokes, leading to the awful Scum comeback. You can see why I hate the Carlton Scum-bags and anyone associated with them - they spoiled my youth!!!! Twisted Evil

Mate, they are two great ideas!

I am actually currently working on a book which I believe will be finished at the end of the year. It has taken me about 4 years to date because I can only work on it a bit at a time.

I am getting some assistance from a journo who supports the club as well, and then working out what we do from there.

I cant tell you what it is on, but I can say it will probably interest you.

But I especially like your 1970 idea!

Might be my next project next year!

Fast forward 9 long years.
Did Magpie Greg write any of those 2 books?
Second, Where and when did Magpie Greg go from this board?
I know all about Jack Spain.
And I still talk to him via email, but Magpie Greg?
He last posted on this board just after the 2011 grand final.
Maybe he wasn't a great fan of the change over.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:54 am

Magpie Greg is alive and well and is as passionate as ever about all things Collingwood. We have been neighbours for the last 38 years.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Magpie Greg is alive and well and is as passionate as ever about all things Collingwood. We have been neighbours for the last 38 years.

Well the questions remain.
Did he write the books and why did he leave?h
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:35 am

Member 7167 wrote:

He is one of the most decent and passionate Collingwood supporters I have ever met in my life. Miss him on Nicks to this day.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

When I see him next I will ask him about the book. I will leave it to Greg to explain why he no longer posts.

Member 7167 Leo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Lazza wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

He is one of the most decent and passionate Collingwood supporters I have ever met in my life. Miss him on Nicks to this day.

Agree Lazza. He a true gentleman.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

When I see him next I will ask him about the book. I will leave it to Greg to explain why he no longer posts.

thankyou.
I await with interest.
If it wasn't published in book form, maybe he could publish thru the internet with a link provided.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: