Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mobile phones and driving

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 pm
Post subject: Mobile phones and drivingReply with quote

Quote:
Mobile-using motorists should lose their licence

Here’s an idea to stop motorists using their phones — take away their licence. Fines and other slaps on the wrist aren’t working. Cars are weapons and in the hands of the foolish, they can kill.
In 2016, drivers on their phones caused more deaths than any other year. And these are only the fatalities we know about.
Over the past decade in Queensland, men have racked up 189,000 fines compared with 92,500 for women. Blokes aged 21-49 are the worst offenders, so it’s not just a Generation Text teen problem.

https://thewest.com.au/opinion/mobile-using-motorists-should-lose-their-licence-ng-b88354817z

Yep, should be instant loss of license, no excuses. If your driving, put it on silent/turn it off and put it in your glovebox.

I saw a chick on the freeway the other day, mobile phone in one hand, fixing her make up with the other .... must of been steering with her knees. Unbelievable.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you're using it as a GPS?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:13 pm
Post subject: Re: Mobile phones and drivingReply with quote

Skids wrote:
Quote:
Mobile-using motorists should lose their licence

Here’s an idea to stop motorists using their phones — take away their licence. Fines and other slaps on the wrist aren’t working. Cars are weapons and in the hands of the foolish, they can kill.
In 2016, drivers on their phones caused more deaths than any other year. And these are only the fatalities we know about.
Over the past decade in Queensland, men have racked up 189,000 fines compared with 92,500 for women. Blokes aged 21-49 are the worst offenders, so it’s not just a Generation Text teen problem.

https://thewest.com.au/opinion/mobile-using-motorists-should-lose-their-licence-ng-b88354817z

Yep, should be instant loss of license, no excuses. If your driving, put it on silent/turn it off and put it in your glovebox.

I saw a chick on the freeway the other day, mobile phone in one hand, fixing her make up with the other .... must of been steering with her knees. Unbelievable.

I seen plenty who have no Regard of that Law and Use there Phone in the Car and don't care.

People take there's and other's life in Risk. But guess it's the old "Won't Happen to Me" Attitude

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:22 pm

David wrote:
What if you're using it as a GPS?
that's ok if you have it on a hands free stand.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Agree. They aren't expensive
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:41 pm

No, not at all. It can still ring and distract you from your primary task... driving!

You can pick up a tom tom off ebay for $100.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:52 pm

nah. I don't drive to places I don't know enough to even consider buying one. I have a windscreen mounted bracket i can put the phone in if I need to use it as a GPS. If it rings, I have it connected to the stereo via bluetooth, I just touch the paddle on the steering wheel and i can answer and talk. That's less distraction than having a kid in the car.

The big problem is people texting, sending emails or messages and checking social media all of which take your eyes off the road.

I can read texts and messages on my watch, so if I get one while driving it's only a quick flick of the wrist to see if it's urgent then if not, ignore til I get where I'm going otherwise pull over and respond.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Yeah both cars I drive have intergrated Bluetooth phone.
Just a side note, since December 1st last year, you must be on a full licence to use even intergrated bluetooth, P players can not use it at all, at least in vic.

The amount of fools you see texting is shocking

I can eventually see all phone, even Bluetooth use, being outlawed and for good reason

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:45 pm

I see plenty of tools with the mobile in their ear with one hand. I've also seen them doing their hair, eating breakfast from a bowl with a spoon, doing makeup, saw one guy having a shave, driving wearing earphones (pet hate) I had to deal with (several years ago) a bloke who seemed to have a thing for having an uncle doug while driving to his GF's house in the clearly labelled work car.

i'd be happy if just more people paid attention to what they were doing and stopped driving 20km under the speed limit. 5kmh I can live with, more than that it should be legal to put an RPG up their exhaust.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 pm

I used to have a hands free car phone years ago when i had my own business.
I was on it heaps and many times I'd finish the call and think... 'i don't remember what way I'd got to where i was'.
Even talking on a hands free is very distracting. I turn mine off when I'm driving now.

I think that's a great idea TP with P platers for sure. We don't have that rule in WA yet.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 am

This issue comes back to $$$$, media and perceptions. It is cheaper to run a budget on invisible policing through speed cameras. If the police have to enforce the mobile phone problem then it will require a physical presence of police on the streets. Currently in Melbourne the priority is the young crime offenders not traffic operations.

Standard operation for mobile phone users in cars on a multi lane road is:
2 officers in plain clothes on each side of the road (normally at intersections) reporting drivers and registration and description via communication to multiple officers and cars down the road who in addition have speed operations in place.

Now the media in Melbourne have an APEX virus and if the police ran that operation instead of trying to catch the offenders the media would be in hysteria.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 am

Loss of licence? Pfft. Only need to watch a couple episodes of Highway Patrol to see how many people are driving with no licence. Losing your licence (to a hell of a lot of people) is no deterrent. Taking the phone off them on the other hand... I'm sure that would work but doubt they'd ever be allowed to do that.

I had a policewoman as a customer & told her about a P Plater I saw on the Eastern Fwy, on Facebook, while her mobile was strapped to her sun visor!! (was at night too, so her whole car was pretty much lit up) I was gobsmacked, her advice was to call the police & report a dangerous driver.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 pm

I don't understand why people do the two things at once. I make it a strict rule to remove my hands completely from the steering wheel when I'm on the 'phone.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:43 pm

^

yeah but that doesn't matter as your driver has hold of the real one in the front seat.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:58 pm

think positive wrote:
Yeah both cars I drive have intergrated Bluetooth phone.
Just a side note, since December 1st last year, you must be on a full licence to use even intergrated bluetooth, P players can not use it at all, at least in vic.

The amount of fools you see texting is shocking

I can eventually see all phone, even Bluetooth use, being outlawed and for good reason

There be a Massive Outrage IF all Phones be Banned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: