Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Great Consolidated 2016/17 Pre-season Thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep me too, let's hope he stays out there. Good the club took such a proactive move on him last year. Hopefully fix him properly.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:18 am

Does any know if there is an open training session on Thursday or Friday this week?

Have been overseas for a few months so cannot phone he club myself. In need a footy fix when I return in a couple of days!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:55 pm

ad4eva wrote:
Does any know if there is an open training session on Thursday or Friday this week?!

Was about to ask the same question as I'm attending the Australian Open on Friday and was curious to check whether the boys were training on that day.

My guess is that since the boys regularly train on Wednesdays, they may train on Friday as well instead of Thursday.

EDIT: Just checked on the club's website that there's a morning training session on Wednesday at 9:30am, but couldn't find anything for Thursday or Friday. Just have to keep a look out for any new training information.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Fresh intelligence, from across the bay...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/training-report-no-3-wednesday-january-18-2017.1156373/

mattys123 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 am

Tickets went on sale this mornning for the JLT community series matches.

I got tickets to the Moe game on March 11th quite easily, although I'm sure that one will sell out quickly.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Training Wed Feb 1st 9:30AM - 11:30AM

Best training session I've attended this summer, made even better by the music of the great man himself, Bruce Springsteen, blaring over the loud speaker system.

No fancy drills. Straight into it after warming up: split into two halves of the ground to practice hand balling and goal kicking skills; then simulated match play with the red guernseys versus the Collingwood training jumpers.

As with last week Wells played the first half of the match play then went indoors. Some players changed jumper after the interval which made it difficult to pick up certain players. After the match play exercise Davoren put the players through six short sharp sprints. When the sprints were completed most of the players left the field with a few of the players deciding to stay behind on the field and practice their goal kicking.

Absentees: Brown, Reid, McCarthy, Kirby

In rehabilitation: Oxley, Blair, Crocker, Broomhead, Sier, McLarty. The great thing about this group was that all of them were kicking the football and participating in portions of the training. McLarty was moving a lot more freely than I have seen previously. He looks much quicker than previous and has good hand balling and kicking skills.

Some observations of the match play exercise:

Overall: Emphasis to me in on ball movement and rebounding from opposition turnovers. You don't want players to make mistakes, but when they do, the opposition should should capitalise by kicking a goal. If today is an example of how sides are going to be playing this year, we are going to be seeing a lot of goals kicked from opposition turnovers. This doesn't mean that first use of the ball isn't important, just that applying pressure on the opposition when they have the ball, by quick movement, can turn the ball over and lead to goals your end.

Our defence: Simple way of looking at it, is that Dunn and Schade have replaced Brown and Frost. With Brown and Frost, we had two players who had quick closing speed, who were reasonable marks and good spoilers. The downside of Brown and Frost, was that when they took a mark, or got a free, they would take 10 seconds to assess the situation and then lob the ball up into the air into an opposition pack. Dunn isn't perfect. He's not fast and doesn't have the height or speed to stop opposition players running off him, or sailing over the top of him to take a mark. What he does have going for him is good decision making and ability to get the ball moving quickly out of defence into attack. Schade is essentially the same as Dunn, only taller and a little less precise with his kicking and hand balling. Both are mobile talls who can play on the opposition best tall forwards and once they get the football, they will quickly move the ball out of defence into attack.

Our small and medium defenders situation is well covered if Ramsay and Sinclair can get through the season. Both looked good today and complement the tall backs by sweeping the ball out of the defence when the ball hits the ground. We no longer have anyone slow in our defensive half. Every player in defence moves forward into our attacking half when the team is in possession of the ball and then sprints back into defence when the opposition has the ball. If the AFL wants to see less congested football on the ground, they are going to have to change the rules at some point in the future by maybe forcing sides to keep one or two defenders behind the centre square. Reducing the number of interchangers hasn't reduced the congestion. It just forces teams to play more mobile players who can run longer and stay out on the field longer.

Some observations on individuals players:

De Goey: He's essentially a burst player who doesn't need a lot of kicks to hurt the opposition. The reason he hasn't performed to date as hoped, is because he has been either been getting caught with the ball, or he has been under pressure when he has the ball and forced into making errors. This will be his third year this season. His body is stronger this year and he is more experienced and able to deal with the opposition. I hope this translates into a break out year for him (which I admit was what I had hoped for last season).

WHE: Another player who doesn't need a lot of kicks to hurt the opposition. He laid a beautiful bump to his opponent which led to a goal. He makes good clean decisions. Like De Goey I'm hoping he has a breakout year.

Mayne: Covers his opponent and can chip in for an ocassional goal. Will be an important cog in our forward line this year.

Keeffe: Mobile tall who can work his way on the forward line taking marks over the opposition back. Lovely kick for goal.

White: Plays up the field as a virtual rover who takes a solid mark over a pack and can chip in for a goal or two. Will be a serious weapon for us this year if he doesn't lose confidence.

Josh Thomas: I really thought Callum Brown had a good chance to debut for us in the first game of the season. Now he's out it opens up an opportunity for Thomas to stake a claim for an early debut.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Just a tip for anyone considering going to the Essendon game at Etihad next week.

Etihad/AFL/Ticketmaster are selling most of the bottom deck now as reserved seats, so come game night there may not be much left on the bottom deck for general admission.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:52 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Just a tip for anyone considering going to the Essendon game at Etihad next week.

Etihad/AFL/Ticketmaster are selling most of the bottom deck now as reserved seats, so come game night there may not be much left on the bottom deck for general admission.

Doubt they sell it be a sell out even for Bottom Deck

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Watch out.

http://insidesauce.com/footscray-evacuated-as-travis-cloke-begins-goalkicking-practice/

Razz Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: