Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Monkey King's brief WA journey.......

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:39 am
Post subject: The Monkey King's brief WA journey.......Reply with quote

........ in search of the metaphorical scriptures of enlightenment. Laughing Laughing Yeah, nah... Laughing Laughing

Pity the timing didn't work out to meet up for a beer there Skids, but I must say you have a beautiful state mate!! Smile

So landed on Thursday, picked up the hire car and headed straight down to where we were based in Bunbury; my wife obviously couldn't wait to see her parents, brothers, nephews and nieces.

We drove back up and checked out a bit of Perth on Friday, got the obligatory snaps in cricket club hat and shirt at the WACA Ground of course Very Happy and also visited Subiaco Oval. I liked the idea of that "walk of fame" at Subi where they have pavers on the footpath honouring Sandover Medalists; nice touch.
Just pretty much drove around checking stuff out without much of a plan apart from that.
It struck me how green Perth was. I don't know why, but that sort of surprised me.

Had the Mother-in-law's 60th on Saturday which was nice. Massive feed cooked on a massive modified version of a Weber. Yum!!
Then ended up at one of the Uncle's places in Dalingyup Saturday night switching between the Footy, the Rugby, the Rugby League, the Dart Board, the Pool Table - God knows how many beers and about 7/8 of a bottle of whiskey later, was having to dodge my own dribble on the way back to the car. Laughing Laughing

Went to a few spots further south on Sunday.
Meelup was a highlight, what a beautiful spot - beach, bush and rocks; nature at it's finest. The area is sort of protected by a bit of a bay too, so really no wind to speak of.
Also went to Busselton Jetty, pretty long and curvy for a jetty! Pity the weather was absolute rubbish; cold and extremely windy. Between the whole lot of us there were too many little ones to take the 1.8km walk out there considering.
Next we went to check out Margaret River and (damn it the name escapes me) an apparently famous surfing spot. If what I was told was correct, I think it was the most western point of the continent of Australia. Awesome view and massive waves, but the gale force winds almost blew my beanie, specs and my whole bloody head off!!
Spent some time in Dunsborough at the Sister-in-law's place before making the journey back to Bunbury fairly late, a whole lot later than originally planned.
Great day!!!!

Monday I took my 2 boys around Bunbury and we went for a kick on a few ovals to give the missus some space and time with her mum.
Geez those Burley footballs they use over there in WA are much pointier than the Sherrin. Took a little bit to get used to. Had to buy a decent quality one to bring back, couldn't resist! Very Happy
(The 10 year old smashed me at "H-O-R-S-E" a few times and won't let me forget, but he doesn't seem to remember the games that I actually won. Laughing Laughing )

Late night flight home Monday night.

I can now say I am a fan of WA.
Hopefully can get a chance to check out some locations north of Perth as well next time.
(Although, what was with the bloody weather??!!!???? Might as well have stayed in Melbourne on that front. Mad Bloody horrendous! Laughing )

I'll be trying my best to get to Subi for Collingwood's last ever game there next year - there should hopefully be nothing in the way of a beer or 14 before/at/after the game my good man Skids!! Very Happy

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Good stuff.

I've only been to WA once, for work years ago, and other than the taxi to the airport and back didn't leave the CBD. Confused

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:45 am

Good job KM.
Yes, unfortunately time didn't allow us to catch up. Next year at Subi sounds like a plan. Cool

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Typing that out I was actually amazed we got so much in over the 5 or so days we were there. Definitely hoping to go back for a longer period and check out more of the state at some stage; never know, the sun might even show itself next time! Laughing

Highly recommend it Stui!!
Grab a hire car and a map over there and just drive.......

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:50 am

Im glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.
Sorry the weather was ordinary ... I live south of Margaret River and we've had the wettest winter in 20 years.
it amazes me more people don't visit from the eastern states
People who enjoy nature and wonderful old buildings would really like it!
I had a lovely walk today, looked at rare wildflower species and a couple of southern right whales
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:18 pm

King Monkey wrote:
Typing that out I was actually amazed we got so much in over the 5 or so days we were there. Definitely hoping to go back for a longer period and check out more of the state at some stage; never know, the sun might even show itself next time! Laughing

Highly recommend it Stui!!
Grab a hire car and a map over there and just drive.......

It's beautiful isn't it.

5 years ago I did the WA bike ride over 9 days in that neck of the woods with a rest day in Margaret River. Striking, beautiful & amazing forest, coastline & bush.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:57 pm

Skids wrote:
Good job KM.
Yes, unfortunately time didn't allow us to catch up. Next year at Subi sounds like a plan. Cool

Unless you wind up in Vega$ that is...

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:05 am

partypie wrote:
Sorry the weather was ordinary ... I live south of Margaret River and we've had the wettest winter in 20 years.
I had a lovely walk today, looked at rare wildflower species and a couple of southern right whales

What a lovely day!

It's a great place to visit from Broome to Albany - beautiful landscapes and great wine 🍷🍷🍷

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:31 am

Morrigu wrote:
partypie wrote:

What a lovely day!

It's a great place to visit from Broome to Albany - beautiful landscapes and great wine 🍷🍷🍷

Yep ... hic... Had a few tonight ... Bf suggested removing the lid would make it easier to pour 😳
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: