Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Boomer Supremacy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

luvdids wrote:
I see customers almost daily that leave me wondering how they ended up as they are... Two incomes, middle aged, renters, no kids, no savings, nothing. I'd understand more if there were a few kids but how can you get to 50 & have nothing?

yep i wonder the same, (and i know people like that, living week to week, altohugh most at least have a house loan

and this is really scary:

"A new report by the Evatt Foundation marshals the existing evidence on wealth in Australia.

As you would expect, Australia as a whole has become much wealthier since 1970: the total stock of capital has grown twice as fast as national income during the decades since then.

But what is more striking is the marked increase in wealth inequality over the same time.

We have become collectively richer but much more unequal.

A reasonable estimate is that, currently, the poorest 40 per cent of Australian households effectively have no wealth at all.

About half of them actually have negative net wealth because of their personal debts.

At the opposite pole, the wealthiest 10 per cent have more than half the nation's total household wealth.

The top 1 per cent alone have at least 15 per cent of the total wealth.

This affluent elite is getting cumulatively richer — not only when compared with poor households but also, significantly, relative to the middle 50 per cent of households.

Two fault lines are widening."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-09/australia-is-land-of-the-fair-go-no-more/7703818

if those figures are in any way accurate, thats terrifying.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:27 pm

^

Centrelink is a two edged sword

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Huh?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:51 pm

It gives a safety net for people who need it, which is a good thing unlike in the USA where you get shit unless you can qualify for disability. That's the good side.

It provides an addictive crutch to people with minimal work ethic who can go their whole lives relying on the government drip feed with some cash on top until they get to 50+ and have zero assets. That's the bad side.

Two edged sword, positives and negatives in the same gig.

And for anyone claiming the second category is a Current Affair myth, I can think of at least 3 examples I personally know or have known without testing my memory.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It gives a safety net for people who need it, which is a good thing unlike in the USA where you get shit unless you can qualify for disability. That's the good side.

It provides an addictive crutch to people with minimal work ethic who can go their whole lives relying on the government drip feed with some cash on top until they get to 50+ and have zero assets. That's the bad side.

Two edged sword, positives and negatives in the same gig.

And for anyone claiming the second category is a Current Affair myth, I can think of at least 3 examples I personally know or have known without testing my memory.

Haha, I agree with you entirely, and I can name a dozen! It's the western suburbs after all!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:35 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-19/meet-key-players-in-new-zealands-welfare-reform/7859446

interesting, not surprised the first woman was unhappy at first, change is difficult. but good on her for making it work, and thriving

the second guy, well i read his words and thought "get off your arse and help yourself". he says he needs a medical excuse, if his dependency becomes a medical problem, surely he would get the help he needs? how doers he now afford food let alone alcohol? is he clean? can he get in some program?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:20 pm

I like the premise, devil is in the detail.

The job search agency model needs a big overhaul, the incentive structure appears to be driving the wrong behaviour. Some are OK, some are shit.

As for the bloke with drug and alcohol issues, I'm putting my hard bastard hat on, there are support services to help with that but you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Some may are OK some are shit, but not all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: