Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NSW to ban greyhound racing in 2017

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article.

Not sure what will happen. If they could clean it up, then yes keep it going, the dogs do love to run. but how do you stop joe blow in the outback baiting? And how about restricting the breeding some how, so not so many dogs end up slaughtered?

Horse racing is very different. For one you can't get a horse to chase a live bait! The rest on horse/jumps racing is for another thread.

If it some how wakes up other industries to make damn sure they are doing the right thing, then that can only be a positive.

As usual it's the rogues ruining it for the good guys.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:32 am

I just don't get how they can ban it. What about banning domestic pets?

Of the 67,573 dogs that ended up at the RSPCA in 2010-11, 19,583 (about one in three) were put down. Most cats that end up at the RSPCA are killed – 37,177 out of 64,617. Many of these animals are healthy and the figures do not include euthanasia at vets or other shelters.Sep 25, 2012

http://www.news.com.au/national/shelter-animals-killed-for-convenience/story-fncynjr2-1226480386569

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Skids wrote:
I just don't get how they can ban it. What about banning domestic pets?

Of the 67,573 dogs that ended up at the RSPCA in 2010-11, 19,583 (about one in three) were put down. Most cats that end up at the RSPCA are killed – 37,177 out of 64,617. Many of these animals are healthy and the figures do not include euthanasia at vets or other shelters.Sep 25, 2012

http://www.news.com.au/national/shelter-animals-killed-for-convenience/story-fncynjr2-1226480386569

Yes it's disgraceful. That's why things like Oscars Law are so important. Shutting down puppy and cat farms, stopping the breeding of designer (damaged) breeds. Too many being bred, not enough homes, all for the sake of the mighty dollar. For me no more do,estimated animals should be bred until every shelter animal has a home. But that's unrealistic.

I get where your coming from. Dogs love to race, so do horses, and some like jumping too. It's when the greed of man comes into play the trouble starts. If it can be controlled, if it can be a cruelty free business, fair enough, but can it?

I also get that neither sport will be fully banned, therefore tougher regulations need to be put in place.

I've seen in side the racing industry, I used to excercise a couple of trotters for someone, on the track. Those horses were loved as my own novelty racing pony was. But I've also seen a shit kid belt crap out of his horse when he lost a flag race. Unfortunately all too often greed, wether money or power, leads to corruption.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:45 pm

True TP. I encountered a nasty trainer who i witnessed punch one of my horses in the head. I was gobsmacked. Told him he was a halfwit and got our boy out of that stable straight away!

The guy no longer trains horses.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:14 pm

It was an interesting article. Little doubt the report was flawed and the reaction was done in haste. See what happens.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm still trying to work out what you mean

And I could almost get the record again!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Greyhound racing ban: Nationals MPs cross floor as bill passes

Several Nationals MPs have broken ranks with the New South Wales Government to vote against controversial legislation to ban greyhound racing, but it has passed Parliament regardless

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-24/greyhound-racing-prohibition-bill-passed-by-nsw-parliament/7779222

👏👏👏 👍 Cool

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Greyhound Victoria are ready for the influx. Wodonga Greyhounds are set to announce extra meetings as trainers are and have moved. NSW loss is Victoria's gain. Money always does the talking.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:29 pm

^ we'll be watching REAL closely don't you worry about that!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Culprit wrote:
Greyhound Victoria are ready for the influx. Wodonga Greyhounds are set to announce extra meetings as trainers are and have moved. NSW loss is Victoria's gain. Money always does the talking.

Like the pokies back in the day, I remember my Nan taking trips to Echuca to play them.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:04 pm

Morrigu wrote:
I am just being devils advocate and whilst everyone pity's the animals the ramifications of what will transpire because of the ruling are ignored. NSW Greyhound Association expects to see at a minimum 10000 Greyhounds put down due as they will be unable to find a home. With the influx of greyhounds to other states the flow on effect will be even more will be put down. This law was brought into protecting Greyhounds yet we will be having a cull.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Culprit wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
I am just being devils advocate and whilst everyone pity's the animals the ramifications of what will transpire because of the ruling are ignored. NSW Greyhound Association expects to see at a minimum 10000 Greyhounds put down due as they will be unable to find a home. With the influx of greyhounds to other states the flow on effect will be even more will be put down. This law was brought into protecting Greyhounds yet we will be having a cull.

It's as much about protecting other animals from live baiting, and about preventing over breeding, preventing having a free for all when it comes to breeding in the hope that one in a litter will be able to run really fast. The majority of the litter are then killed, and not kindly with a needle, with a hammer or such. The good dogs will be shipped over the border, the rest may be culled, hopefully a lot rehomed. Yes innocent dogs will die, but many more will not be born to a life of misery, or no life at all.

Next step, prevent the dogs from being sent overseas to an even worse fate.

Dogs are family, and for some, a working member of the family, but not 'sport' or 'amusement'.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:53 pm

For what it's worth, I have no problem with the boy in the bush lining up their pooches for a race at the Sunday picnic, dogs and horse lov to run. but once you allow gambling, then it just turns evil.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:17 pm

think positive wrote:
For what it's worth, I have no problem with the boy in the bush lining up their pooches for a race at the Sunday picnic, dogs and horse lov to run. but once you allow gambling, then it just turns evil.
Gambling as a whole is evil. I wish the AFL would do more but they they are making big bucks from gambling revenue. The dollar rules as always ad when you have kids saying what's the odds of teams winning you know we are developing gamblers.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:05 am

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/support-for-baird-government-collapses-20160826-gr1x3y.html

Quote:
Mr Baird has been fighting the greyhound industry over the ban. Three Nationals MPs crossed the floor to vote against the legislation over concerns it will devastate regional communities. Mr Foley has promised to overturn the ban if he is elected in 2019

The current Baird Government is a carbon copy of the Kennet Government. Sell off everything, boast about how much money you have in the bank as your not spending any and bang, the natives are getting pissed off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: