Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Article on Last Years Trade Period

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 pm
Post subject: Article on Last Years Trade PeriodReply with quote

Quote:
Finals football was the ambition and, for the third straight season the Magpies have missed the cut.

But among the negatives are three players that deserve huge ticks: Adam Treloar, James Aish and Jeremy Howe.

The trio arrived at the Holden Centre late last year under varying circumstances.

And while there have been hiccups over the past 10 months, they have meshed themselves into Collingwood’s culture, forged identities and strengthened their on-field reputations.

Treloar arrived following a runner-up year in GWS’ best and fairest. The Pies parted with pick nine, a fourth round selection and their 2016 first round selection for the ball-winner. Few players are more damaging when given time or space.

Collingwood then took a punt on Aish, who arrived in return for pick 31 and a 2016 second round selection. The deal was debatable early days, but Aish has lifted in the back half of the season and looks every bit the player Brisbane hoped he would become.

We had a Fantastic Trade Period Last Year. All look like Guns

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/collingwoods-adam-treloar-jeremy-howe-and-james-aish-benefiting-from-clever-derek-hine-afl-trading/news-story/12a41c1332821d9034122a578ff912cf?post_id=308631176195380_308631269528704#_=_

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Big things start small.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Good article,

Cheers Dave

I agree, 3 great additions.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Howe's stood up down back and played his role. Can't help but think he's be better suited as a high forward or on the wing.

Aish was sub-par when he came to us but has turned his game around and applied himself to become a much improved player in the latter half of the year. He can only get better.

Treloar has speed but his ball use is poor and kicking for goal - horrendous. That's something he needs to sort out in the pre-season. We paid a high price for this guy and he's on big money, so I expect a big reward. He should model his game on dangerfield.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:01 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Good article,

Cheers Dave

I agree, 3 great additions.

Think it's been 1 of the Best Trade Periods we have had since Hine been in Charge

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
Treloar has speed but his ball use is poor and kicking for goal - horrendous. That's something he needs to sort out in the pre-season. We paid a high price for this guy and he's on big money, so I expect a big reward. He should model his game on dangerfield.

Dangerfield is also not a Great Shot on Goal

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:14 am

Nice one DTM.

Hopefully we have a similar trade period this year. But it'll be tough.

We know we're going to have young Daicos and Brown coming in thru the draft. And I think we need to hold on to as many picks as possible. But we know we'll probably be dealing Witts, Cloke and Williams. So we'll see if we try to bring more players in, or go for picks.

madman Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:53 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
Howe's stood up down back and played his role. Can't help but think he's be better suited as a high forward or on the wing.

Aish was sub-par when he came to us but has turned his game around and applied himself to become a much improved player in the latter half of the year. He can only get better.

I agree with everything you said, especially on Treloar, needs to clean up kicking @ goal.

Howe has been a huge surprise for me, I thought of him @ Melbourne as a player that took a few big marks & that was it. But his ball use for most part of the season has been really good, along with his marking.

Aish's second half of the season has been great, hope he can continue this into next year.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:18 pm

All good additions to the team.

Treloar was always going to slot in and be one of our regular standouts from week to week. I wasn't expecting anything less considering we gave up a lot to obtain him in the first place.

Howe looks very settled in defence after he was recruited with the idea of playing him up more forward.

Aish had a slow start, but for a youngster he was always going to need time to adapt to a new environment and I'm happy that the patience of some was rewarded in the second half where he played more consistent footy and started showing glimpses of his potential.

Looking forward to watching them develop and progress next year.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 pm

We gave up two top ten picks for Treloar.
Whether we paid overs or unders is still not clear.
Aish has had a few good games in the 2 nd half of the season and that is all.
The rating squad is still out on him.
J Howe had been good but god does he make a few clangers every match.
We gave up a friggin lot for these.
But it is not clear whether we are winning or losing with these trades.
Remember the Blues got Judd and gave up Kennedy.
Judd has long gone and Kennedy is still kicking a bag of goals.
Whether we win or lose takes a few seasons to work out.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:33 pm

We did pay overs for Treloar. History shows that you get a 50% strike rate at best to snag a GUN from a first round pick. That is, you need at least two picks to grab a sure thing. Why risk another Schaz / Freeman debacle? Always take the sure thing. And he's only 23. And he'll only get better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: