Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Roos to follow Pies lead tomorrow (inside word)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:01 pm
Post subject: Re: Roos to follow Pies lead tomorrow (inside word)Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Cheers mate. Not sure which word made me laugh more:

* Cluster **** OR
* Pauperoos

Very Happy

Kudos again bro. Surprised
Yes very fond of both of those terms; I claim no rights whatsoever to their advent, but they sure are practical for use of this forum! Wink

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we expect North to try and offload a few more in trade week?

Not that we want any of them, just saying they've got plenty of others over 30 and others 29ish.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:10 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Right decision, questionable timing yes.

Would it have been better to leave it to after they finish their season and deny the players a farewell?

I reckon it says they are being realistic that their chances of going deep in September are slim this year, so they might as well be up front, let the players have their farewell lap as it were and see what happens.

Personally, I'd rather be going into the finals knowing each game could be my last than thinking I was still a prospect to play then finding out afterwards.

Agree, which is why I suggested questionable. You could easily make a case for either argument.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:12 am

Presti35 wrote:

Not that we want any of them, just saying they've got plenty of others over 30 and others 29ish.

I reckon they'll still believe they're in their window so will hold quite a few of them.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:02 pm

jackcass wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

I reckon they'll still believe they're in their window so will hold quite a few of them.

They know their window is already shut, which is why they are off-loading these guys now. If they thought for one moment they'd have a chance for a flag next year, Boomer would be retained, as he is currently one of their best players.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:25 pm

Unbelievable that they have put this decision out there before their finals campaign. Why not say to them your contract next year depends on how you and we fare in the finals. Giving them a farewell game in Melbourne this week doesn't make sense. Surely they should be putting the message out there that they hope to be back playing in Melbourne again in a final in 2016. Or have they put up the white flag? Plenty of time for farewells next year, like the swans did with Goodes this year.
I can understand Geelong doing this last year with Kelly Johnson and Stokes because they missed finals.
I'd be seriously peeved if I followed North.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:43 pm

uncanny wrote:
Unbelievable that they have put this decision out there before their finals campaign. Why not say to them your contract next year depends on how you and we fare in the finals. Giving them a farewell game in Melbourne this week doesn't make sense. Surely they should be putting the message out there that they hope to be back playing in Melbourne again in a final in 2016. Or have they put up the white flag? Plenty of time for farewells next year, like the swans did with Goodes this year.
I can understand Geelong doing this last year with Kelly Johnson and Stokes because they missed finals.
I'd be seriously peeved if I followed North.

Harvey's manager (and Petrie's i think) has said that the players demanded to know now.
So what other choice did North have? Only to lie.

Harvey's manager also said it is not North's fault about the media/players reaction, again it is the player's choice how this has been handled. The players did not want to do any media this week.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:47 pm
Post subject: Re: Roos to follow Pies lead tomorrow (inside word)Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Cheers mate. Not sure which word made me laugh more:

* Cluster **** OR
* Pauperoos

Very Happy

Kudos again bro. Surprised
Yes very fond of both of those terms; I claim no rights whatsoever to their advent, but they sure are practical for use of this forum! Wink

yes, the pauperoos is a great label. i think it might have been hats who coined it. i use it frequently.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:57 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

They know their window is already shut, which is why they are off-loading these guys now. If they thought for one moment they'd have a chance for a flag next year, Boomer would be retained, as he is currently one of their best players.

Happy to agree to disagree. They have developing replacements for all the players they've let go thus far, even Harvey.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:20 pm

This whole retirement scenario smacks of Brayshaw stupidiness
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:26 pm

magpieazza wrote:

Yep tend to agree. From what I know and hear, North are going to lose literally thousands of members next year.

Their problem I know. Exclamation

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:55 pm

magpieazza wrote:

I cannot stand Brayshaw but he has done a good job at getting the Roos into the black. The have declared a profit over the last 8 years and have reduced debt. When considering their supporter base this is a great outcome for them. It is a pity that more clubs have not been as successful in turning around their off field fortunes and not have to rely upon the AFL for handouts so as to keep them afloat.

It is obvious that they do not have the fire power to win a premiership with their current and aging list and there is little up side to these four players being part of the club for the next couple of years.

Whilst the timing seems a bit off, if the players demanded to know their position now then the club had few options.

At the same time I do not think Brayshaw has a lot to do with the footy department.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
magpieazza wrote:

I cannot stand Brayshaw but he has done a good job at getting the Roos into the black. The have declared a profit over the last 8 years and have reduced debt. When considering their supporter base this is a great outcome for them. It is a pity that more clubs have not been as successful in turning around their off field fortunes and not have to rely upon the AFL for handouts so as to keep them afloat.

It is obvious that they do not have the fire power to win a premiership with their current and aging list and there is little up side to these four players being part of the club for the next couple of years.

Whilst the timing seems a bit off, if the players demanded to know their position now then the club had few options.

At the same time I do not think Brayshaw has a lot to do with the footy department.

A pretty good summation.

However, I still reckon Boomer was playing well enough to have been retained. He's still one of their top 4 or 5 players imo and is not slowing down. It makes me wonder whether Scott has ever rated Boomer's contribution to the team. Father time had clearly caught up with the others.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:30 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
magpieazza wrote:

A pretty good summation.

However, I still reckon Boomer was playing well enough to have been retained. He's still one of their top 4 or 5 players imo and is not slowing down. It makes me wonder whether Scott has ever rated Boomer's contribution to the team. Father time had clearly caught up with the others.

Correct rude boomer was easily in there top 4-10 players every week and after 430 games should be afforded the right to call time in his own career as long as he can hold his place in the side and is contributing in a positive manner. For mine it says a lot about the club to treat a champion like that. Very poor look. If he played at our club and we did that I would be up in arms over it.
I know the circumstances are different but look at the way we sent Swanny out with his presser even MM & Bucks could bury the hatchet for a day to honour a club great and that's the way it should be
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:29 pm

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Happy to agree to disagree. They have developing replacements for all the players they've let go thus far, even Harvey.

A pretty good thread from me Jackcass??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: