Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The art of the deal

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 am
Post subject: The art of the dealReply with quote

Watching open Mike last night he had Andrew Ireland on who we all know w a Collingwood player in the late 70's to 80 and left to take a role in admin in the QAFL.
Mike went into the deals behind landing Lynch at the lions (the first ever mega deal 10yrs @ $180k a year which was unheard of then) to the Tippett deal and finally the Buddy deal.
In each occasion the clubs deficiencies were identified and then who they thought they could land by being creative with long term deals.
Looking at our situation losing 3 experienced players in the past couple days we will enter 2017 light on experience but with a bunch of promising up and comers coupled with a hand full of stars.
Should we be looking to make a couple of these mega deals ourselves ?
There's chatter around that Rance may be shopped around at years end should we be throwing a 8yr deal at a million a year to lure him over and be the corner stone of our defence ?
Should we be looking to a Hogan or Paton or Cameron along the same lines to compliment Moore and have 2 bona fide stars in the forward line or perhaps chase a Jack Reidwoldt who also may become available and give him a 5yr deal on better coin ?
Not saying we could land both or any of these players and yes we would have to give something up most likely a decent player who is in or entering his prime but we do have a abundance of midfielders who might be suitable to other clubs need or maybe we have to give up a player and good draft pick to land say a Rance
For mine it's something we should be exploring to land that marquee player who we can build a area (defence or attack) around and then fit the pieces in around them
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not averse to offering a 'mega deal' to an absolute super-star. There just aren't many of them around. A player who is a genuine match winner.

Only Buddy and Danger spring to mind as proven in that category of recent times.

If such a player was available you'd have to seriously think about it.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:30 am

Excellent post QLD. We have lacked some daring and sheer audacity unlike the Swans who 2 days after winning the 2012 Grand Final were snaring Tippett despite his QLD returning tendencies. Plus were able to keep the Franklin deal hush hush for 12 months and get their man.

If we thought of the best players to fill current deficiencies as a hypothetical:

Back Pocket: Sam Docherty or Rory Laird (Heath Shaw too Smile )

CHB: Alex Rance or Daniel Talia or Jeremy McGovern

Midfield Speedster: Isaac Smith or Dan Hannebery

FWD crumber: Cyril Rioli

yes these would be ambit bids to some degree but it lets player managers know we have a "war chest available" and if you miss on one you may snare another. Plus despite those players being under contract it may plant a seed that matures later on when available.

Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:23 am

There's talk of Nat Fyfe in 2018... That being Kane Cornes' opinion which doesn't mean anything... However, it could be a possibility with so much free salary cap space
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:27 am

Difficult to orchestrate outside of FA unless you gain the capital to satisfy the players original club. These type of players likely to cost 2x 1st round picks and we're just a bit light on for them at the moment without trading out some quality to gain them. Prefer to take the longer term view and build through the draft and work toward gaining a couple of FA's to fill holes when we're pushing top 4.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Assuming Keefe can still play football after missing 2 years (which may well be a big assumption), I actually think we only need one other ready made key position player, so after trading Cloke and Witts we should be in a position to get what we need. Hopefully Broomhead, Sidey and Elliott can give us small forward options, while we wait to develop young Daicos and Brown.

So, if we can maintain a healthy list next year, I think we are not far off having what we need to become a genuine top side very soon.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:01 pm

Are there any decent FA targets this year?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Assuming Keefe can still play football after missing 2 years (which may well be a big assumption), I actually think we only need one other ready made key position player, so after trading Cloke and Witts we should be in a position to get what we need. Hopefully Broomhead, Sidey and Elliott can give us small forward options, while we wait to develop young Daicos and Brown.

So, if we can maintain a healthy list next year, I think we are not far off having what we need to become a genuine top side very soon.

Fair point rude but we are going to be putting a lot of faith in Keefe to handle CHB to allow Reid forward (assuming Cloke leaves)
Personally I think having 2yrs out of the game will have stunted any growth he had as a player. He was still learning his craft before this brain fart.
Hypothetically if Rance was available wouldn't you have a crack at him to be our defence general ?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:26 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Fair point rude but we are going to be putting a lot of faith in Keefe to handle CHB to allow Reid forward (assuming Cloke leaves)
Personally I think having 2yrs out of the game will have stunted any growth he had as a player. He was still learning his craft before this brain fart.
Hypothetically if Rance was available wouldn't you have a crack at him to be our defence general ?

Absolutely. All I'm saying is we really only need one ready made key position player to join us - either a FF/CHF or a FB/CHB. Obviously Rance would fit the bill. I'd be equally happy with (a fit) Sam Reid.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:58 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Absolutely. All I'm saying is we really only need one ready made key position player to join us - either a FF/CHF or a FB/CHB. Obviously Rance would fit the bill. I'd be equally happy with (a fit) Sam Reid.

And Reid may cost a lot less than Rance I'm guessing as well. It's all a guessing game which will hinge largely on who stays and goes and who's available. With Cloke wages going down Swannh gone Toovey and Caff gone there will be cap space for sure to land a fish
Personally I'm hoping Cloke stays and can some how get back to near his best as having him as a foil for Moore can work and work well with White playing the floating role leaving Reid at CHB
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

We're never going to get Rance just as we were realistically never going to get Hurley. Sam Reid is a possibility just as Tomlinson is a possibility (though more likely to go to Carlton). We should be aiming for a young fringe KPP who's struggling for a game with another team like GWS. Bruce comes to mind as he couldn't get a game with GWS. Now he's starring for St Kilda. There must be some other players out there who have the potential to improve but are being held back at their present clubs. Then we have to convince them to come to Collingwood. The only other possibility is recruiting a player under the free agency rules. I don't think there are any players out there in this category who aren't already tied up with existing contracts which stretch into the next couple of years. Clubs are getting too good at retaining the players they want to keep.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:14 pm

jackcass wrote:
Difficult to orchestrate outside of FA unless you gain the capital to satisfy the players original club. These type of players likely to cost 2x 1st round picks and we're just a bit light on for them at the moment without trading out some quality to gain them. Prefer to take the longer term view and build through the draft and work toward gaining a couple of FA's to fill holes when we're pushing top 4.

Bingo.

Franklin was a free agent who approached Sydney
Tippet was also a FA (I believe)
Lynch was out of contract and the AFL were desperate to help out Brisbane and euthanise Fitzroy.

Certainly the premise is firm - identify the areas you need, identify players who fit the bill and go after them.

You need to balance your list management and player payments which is where the long term contracts come in.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:28 pm

We should be offering a 20 year deal at $300,000 a year. That's $6 million for the players last 5 years of playing and the $300,000 per year counts less and less against an ever expanding salary cap. In 20 years time, $300,000 will be less than the rookie rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: