Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies pipped in thriller. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
jackcass wrote:
perthmagpie wrote:
Yep Greenwood was missing often. Let's face it we have most of our best forwards out. Add Fasolo, Swan, Eliott and being able to have Howe forward and we would of won that game comfortably.

Why oh why does Buckley use that stupid zoning when the man on man we played tonight is so effective against almost every time?

Played man-on-man in the second half against Richmond. The difference in how effective either style is how well the midfield functions.

Every football scribe said going man on man is the way to go for us.
But useless or headless Bux thinks different every couple of weeks.
So arrogant but it is what is.
Interesting after an honourable loss you come on early.

so many supporters sook that there is no plan b or no game plan yet would know what one was if it hit them in the face. zoning and man on man are two different ways to go. you can't be critical of trying to implement both at different stages of the season depending on who your opposition is.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:18 am

John Wren wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
jackcass wrote:
perthmagpie wrote:
Yep Greenwood was missing often. Let's face it we have most of our best forwards out. Add Fasolo, Swan, Eliott and being able to have Howe forward and we would of won that game comfortably.

Why oh why does Buckley use that stupid zoning when the man on man we played tonight is so effective against almost every time?

Played man-on-man in the second half against Richmond. The difference in how effective either style is how well the midfield functions.

so many supporters sook that there is no plan b or no game plan yet would know what one was if it hit them in the face. zoning and man on man are two different ways to go. you can't be critical of trying to implement both at different stages of the season depending on who your opposition is.

JW I actually like the horses for courses approach depending on who you play and at what venue. I even like the changing of the team at the selection table for the same reason.
Evidence would suggest the coach and coaching staff even made adjustments to the way we played the zone during the course of the season. We started playing not so high up the field zone and didn't push up as hard always leaving a sweeper of sorts out back stopping those very soft out the back goals we were conceding so often.
The man on man for mine suits us better as we like to tackle and then work off our opponent hard the other way.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:18 am

John Wren wrote:

Yes you can. Is it not insanity to do the same thing and expect a different outcome. Same can be said for our zone. It's a failure yet Buckley persists with it trying to prove it works. Maybe he is insane. Maybe he desperately wants this zone to be his legacy, to be given a name like the web or forward press.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:59 am

RudeBoy wrote:
The reason we played well and nearly beat another finals team is simple. The ruck. I thought we'd win this game because Grundy would dominate the ruck, which he did, because this gave our midfielders a chance to shine. It almost won us the game, but for some skill errors and a few passengers we still had in our side.

Greenwood and Blair went missing....again. Neither should be part of our plans going forward.

The best thing to come out of the game was the signal that Darcy Moore is already a star. I predict he'll be the best key forward in the comp next year. Treloar is a gun and will only get better next year. Hopefully, this game signaled that De Goey has gotten over his off-field distractions and can continue to develop into a big, strong, gut running midfielder. Wills was good again and could be anything. Well done to Goldsack, who bravely took some telling marks backing into packs. He may be worth keeping on our list next year, even as a back up player.

Overall, tonight revealed a lot about what we should expect from our team next year. Throw in Reid, Scharenberg, Ramsay, Elliott, Fasolo, Sinclair, Langdon and possibly even (a fit) Broomhead, then we should have a formidable team team next year, one that would put the frighteners into any opposition. Go Pies!

Great post, sums it up

Waking up this morning, it's very hard to be disappointed. Brave effort. Couple of calls our way, just one ball that didn't hit the post, we win. I reckon that game proves the point, when we man up, we can win. Dump the zone now, and concentrate on making those tackles stick. Cheers

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:02 am

the intensity we showed last night is what teams like the Bulldogs show every week.

I'm more pleased than after our losses to Carlton and Richmond,
But We still lost.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:04 am

think positive wrote:

Great post, sums it up

Waking up this morning, it's very hard to be disappointed. Brave effort. Couple of calls our way, just one ball that didn't hit the post, we win. I reckon that game proves the point, when we man up, we can win. Dump the zone now, and concentrate on making those tackles stick. Cheers

While the man-on-man tactic works best, we can't rely on intense tackling week after week. It's too demanding and explains why we are so erratic. We need to be able to play a more skilful, less taxing game that can be sustained over 23 weeks.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:10 am

What'sinaname wrote:
think positive wrote:

Great post, sums it up

While the man-on-man tactic works best, we can't rely on intense tackling week after week. It's too demanding and explains why we are so erratic. We need to be able to play a more skilful, less taxing game that can be sustained over 23 weeks.

Oh I agree totally. I said elsewhere our skills drop when we try to zone because it's too exhausting, if we play the game on our terms, skills, decisions improve and the need to tackle will reduce. But there is no way in hell 3 defenders can defend an onslaught. Case in point the ball going into the dogs forward line, and it was three on one, the defender had no chance. At the very least, defence must be one on one. No player should be expected to stand between two forwards 15 metres apart, try and make the 'right' choice, get there ,spoil, and do something intelligent. If he could do that, he be racing Usain Bolt this week.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:32 am

John Wren wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
jackcass wrote:
perthmagpie wrote:

When you play the zone and get beaten by the same team with the same plan year after year then I reckon I am right to post what I said.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:33 am

Can you rephrase the question please?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:37 am

Bob Sugar wrote:
Degoey is shit, he just is, sorry, can find his type in the rookie draft, why the **** hine chose him, he's shit!!

Were you even watching the game last night? That's absolute Crap.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:46 am

stui magpie wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Degoey is shit, he just is, sorry, can find his type in the rookie draft, why the **** hine chose him, he's shit!!

Totally agree Stui - this 20yr old kid is v good and will be a 200+ game champ for the pies… some (like Bob) have the blinkers on re JD and quite frankly they have no clues about footy!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:48 am

Love the Goey, reckon he might be the new Blair! Whipping boy all over him! Can't understand the crap he has copped. Yeah he got a little tired, but shit the effort he puts in week in week out, it's to be expected. This kid will be something special. Said it all along.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:49 am

^^^ Yes, it is. De Goey was one of our best couple of players in the second half. He was involved in one poor passage of play that should have resulted in a goal but the chance was lost because of dreadful delivery to him - he was a mile clear and the ball was put behind him. Otherwise, he seemed to me to be responsible for most of Collingwood's third quarter lead. If he can build in that form, he can be a genuinely elite player in time.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:52 am

stui magpie wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:

I thought DeGoey was good too. What we did miss was a crumbing forward. When Moore was spoiled, it seemed the Bullfrogs always cleared the ball. I can't recall a goal to us from a spoil.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:56 am

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The reason we played well and nearly beat another finals team is simple. The ruck. I thought we'd win this game because Grundy would dominate the ruck, which he did, because this gave our midfielders a chance to shine. It almost won us the game, but for some skill errors and a few passengers we still had in our side.

Greenwood and Blair went missing....again. Neither should be part of our plans going forward.

The best thing to come out of the game was the signal that Darcy Moore is already a star. I predict he'll be the best key forward in the comp next year. Treloar is a gun and will only get better next year. Hopefully, this game signaled that De Goey has gotten over his off-field distractions and can continue to develop into a big, strong, gut running midfielder. Wills was good again and could be anything. Well done to Goldsack, who bravely took some telling marks backing into packs. He may be worth keeping on our list next year, even as a back up player.

Great post, sums it up

Agreed.

DeGoey played a ripper hlaf-forwards role and looked more fully in-sync down there. Great improved game. He had been a super kick for goal and with more confidence, vision and time he will hit more targets. I think he is a 250+game keeper in the B&W. Star!

Aish was,at times, leading the way in the mid-field. What a great month of footy. Looking like one of our classiest top-3 players, moving great offensively and in the stoppages.

Grundy can't be rested, might be the best roughy for most Brownlow votes for a ruck man behind Max. Probably should be Copeland favourite if he had have been deemed good enough to squeeze in to our best 22 a long 4 months ago. Deserves it !

Darcy is flying and on the edge of tearing weak oppositions a new one. He will and should be pissed he didn't kick 6. Should be a great final 2 weeks for him if he had May and Frawley.

Backline was ok given they lost Reid, Goldy filled in great and we moved it pretty well. Players ran to the wrong places to receive a few times but overall we did well moving it given it was the Doggies at Ethiad. I think Howe is crucial down there.

Blair could have had a par performance but messed it up being hungry and his disposal and smarts are dropping off. Phillips should be preferred to Blair in that role for the next few weeks. Or Maynard, I'm dying to see him prepare for a different role for the next 2 weeks. He deserves to expand his horizons.

White seems to be kicking straighter but often runs under the ball, rarely fully commits to contests and just lacks anything significant when we don't have it. Clearly he can be so much better but is predictably not in form and should not have been playing for weeks.

This game will always be remembered for the axing of Cloke after taking 9 Marks dealing with Rance and having Cox and White to kick it to.

Its very sad we have such a great list and have and nearly knocked off a host of top-8 sides with ok footy.
Is it just unlucky or is it something much more obvious?
There is no way Cloke was not in the best-22 available last night.
Just another scene in a very long tragedy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: