Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dane Swan - a little respect

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love it if he won the Copeland
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:40 am

BBHS wrote:
Would love it if he won the Copeland

Pendles easily.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:28 am

inxs88 wrote:
Well done Dane yet again tonight!

F*ck it - was all over those pox moggys before Suckwood broke him.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:58 pm

This time last year, the Great Dane was training off the back of a 33 disposal game against the Welfare and a 36 disposal, 2 Brownlow vote game against Melbourne and was preparing for his most recent 3 Brownlow vote game - a 22 kick, 10 mark, 19 handball (total of 41 disposals), 3 goal, 3 tackle, 4 inside 50, 6 clearance, 12 contested possession game against Carlton. As it happened, Swanny's 3 goals was the precise winning margin (16.9 to 13.9).

I was thinking about Dane's great contribution to Collingwood after re-watching his superb games against Footscray and Geelong in the 2010 finals in the last day or so.

Apart from being (presently - Pies4Shaw says, optimistically) two games behind Buckley in 8th place on the all-time Collingwood games list, with 258, Dane has a remarkable statistical record for the Pies, including the following:

Most disposals in a season (820 at an average of 31.54) - in the 2010 premiership year. Trailing behind in his wake in 2nd and 3rd places, respectively, are - wait for it - Dane Swan and someone called Dane Swan (769 in 2009 and 260 in 2011). He has a total of 5 of the 10-top "most disposal" seasons at Collingwood (725 in 2012 and 717 in 2013). Even though Swanny was in second place in 2012, he had the highest average disposals per game in that season (34.52 disposals per game in 21 games). To put that in context, Wayne Richardson averaged 32.83 disposals per game in 1971 but no other Collingwood player has been close (Beams won the Copeland in that 2012 year with an average of 30.88 per game). The games Swanny missed in 2012 included the 97-point flogging of the Gold Coast, the 26 point win over Adelaide (in which Beams, Sidebottom and Pendlebury got the Brownlow votes, 96 disposals and 5 of Collingwood's 10 goals between them) and the round 20 and 21 games (Swans and North).

Most kicks in a season over the last 25 years: 505 in 2010 and 472 in 2011. His 2009, 2012 and 2013 seasons round out the Collingwood top 20 since 1965.

He has 4 of Collingwood's top 20 records for most marks in a season. His best of 187 (5th on the Collingwood table) was in 2007. Only Tarrant, Lockyer and Cloke (twice) have taken more marks in a season than Swanny.

He has 6 of the top 20 records for most Collingwood contested possessions in a season, sitting in second and third place behind only Scott Pendlebury. His best was 311 contested possessions (2010).

Unsurprisingly, Swanny holds the top 2 (and 5 of the top 6) places in the Collingwood list of most uncontested possessions in a season. His best was 487 in 2009.

Although the rest of the competition spent the year chasing Swanny, he also laid 123 tackles in 2010 (equal 6th for Collingwood all-time - interestingly, he was only 4th for Collingwood that year, behind the greatest Collingwood tackler of all - Luke Ball, with 155, Pendles with 144 and Possum Toovey with 124).

He has 4 of the top 10 Collingwood clearance records per season (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015). He has the top 2 spots in that list (147 and 141 clearances, respectively, in 2011 and 2010).

He has 4 of the top 10 Collingwood inside 50 records per season (2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013). He has been bettered only by Nathan Buckley and, apart from Swanny, only Buckley (4 times) and Travis Cloke (twice) have an inside 50 season record in Collingwood's top 10.

He has the record for most Collingwood inside 50s in a game (15 against St Kilda in 2015).

He has 4 of the top 20 places for most Collingwood clearances in a game. His best is 13 (twice). One of those was in a 49 disposal, 2 goal game against Hawthorn in 2012 - remarkably (because Collingwood lost), he only received 2 Brownlow votes for it.

He has 8 of the top 20 places for most Collingwood contested possessions in a game.

He has 7 of the top 20 places for most Collingwood uncontested possessions in a game.

He has 1 the top 20 places for most Collingwood marks inside 50 in a game (his best is 8 - the Collingwood best is 9).

Dane Swan - future Collingwood Hall of Fame member and all-time AFL great.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:53 pm

thanks for this beautiful set of numbers
hope the great man can get himself fit again and go around next year

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:53 pm

uncanny wrote:

Over 90% chance that he won't.

Take it to the bank mate.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Does Swan have an ability to get a big pension if he doesn't come back and is forced to retire due to injury under the AFL contract arrangements (and at the rate of pay of his final year)?

Big financial incentive not to come back, although I am not sure Swan is the most financially motivated player going around.

He'd certainly question our ability to play in a GF next season as a motivation.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Lazza wrote:
uncanny wrote:

Over 90% chance that he won't.

Take it to the bank mate.

Dunno mate, I reckon theres no friggn way known, that swan wants to go out on the back of a 80 point hiding from the swannettes, after ten mins of football, in a game ruined before it began, by that Robbo mongrel and his drug crap innuendo. No way will Swan want to go out like that, my tip is he comes back on a one year contract with an option. Hell, most of bloody Nth Melb and Whorethorn are older than he is . Confused Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Morning all.
Just thought id hit this one again to see if anyone has any news on the great man.
I realise a decision is coming soon but any word?
If he goes it will be a very sad day.
Would love him to kick on for another year.

Go Pies

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:53 pm

What a remarkable record personally thought he should have won at least 1 more Brownlow
I remember talking to Dayne Beams after his first year at the club in 2009 he was home for his Xmas break with his father and I spent a day drinking beers and chatting to them.
He said he marvelled at Pendles preparation and how hard he trained but he said Swanny just made every thing look easy. He said he read the game like no other player he had seen and had a knack of knowing when to go forward and kick the needed goal or go back and shore up the defence or run on the outside to set up play or get in and under and win the ball. Dayne said he is just unbelievable at every aspect of the game and those stats read like to as well.
That 2012 year Dayne had when he won the Copeland was a great year but in comparison to how many years Swanny had that equaled or bettered it makes you wonder how far ahead of the pack he was
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Sadly, I believe Swan is being encouraged by the club to hang up his boots, not because he couldn't necessarily recover well enough to play again, but because the club is concerned at his 'bad influence' on a few of our young guns, regarding their off-field activities. A line has been drawn in the sand and Swanny appears to have crossed it. If this is true, then it's incredibly disappointing as Swanny, much like Darren Millane, has been a wonderful character, as well as a brilliant footballer, and has been my favourite player for quite a while. At the end of the day, however, if his influence is viewed negatively, then he has to go. The club is bigger than any individual.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:14 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Sadly, I believe Swan is being encouraged by the club to hang up his boots....

Any source for that pie, my good chap?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:18 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
What a remarkable record personally thought he should have won at least 1 more Brownlow
I remember talking to Dayne Beams after his first year at the club in 2009 he was home for his Xmas break with his father and I spent a day drinking beers and chatting to them.
He said he marvelled at Pendles preparation and how hard he trained but he said Swanny just made every thing look easy. He said he read the game like no other player he had seen and had a knack of knowing when to go forward and kick the needed goal or go back and shore up the defence or run on the outside to set up play or get in and under and win the ball. Dayne said he is just unbelievable at every aspect of the game and those stats read like to as well.
That 2012 year Dayne had when he won the Copeland was a great year but in comparison to how many years Swanny had that equaled or bettered it makes you wonder how far ahead of the pack he was

Swanny won 3 - they just gave the first of them to Judd and the third to Watson. It is a complete travesty that he didn't win three in a row when he was clearly the best footballer on the planet through those years.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:45 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Sadly, I believe Swan is being encouraged by the club to hang up his boots, not because he couldn't necessarily recover well enough to play again, but because the club is concerned at his 'bad influence' on a few of our young guns, regarding their off-field activities. A line has been drawn in the sand and Swanny appears to have crossed it. If this is true, then it's incredibly disappointing as Swanny, much like Darren Millane, has been a wonderful character, as well as a brilliant footballer, and has been my favourite player for quite a while. At the end of the day, however, if his influence is viewed negatively, then he has to go. The club is bigger than any individual.

That's one option.

The other is he's balancing up the idea of playing next year, will he be in pain, will he do more and ongoing damage to his foot, and that for a team that should make finals but won't challenge for the flag and he's on less coin, vs retire and get $400k plus as a lump sum insurance payout and no pain.

Option 2 is tempting.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:35 pm

piedys wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Sadly, I believe Swan is being encouraged by the club to hang up his boots....

Any source for that pie, my good chap?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you Andrew. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11   

Jump to: