Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are you listening to right now?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountains Magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:
The Less Tame Impala I Know The Better

Fixed it for you Jezza - you just had some of the words in the wrong order. Wink

Who went to see Iron Maiden last night?

nah, saw em last time they were in Melbourne. Took my son along and that was fun.

Not long turned 18 he'd never seen that much flannelette, beards and mullets in one place, ever (half of Adelaide had flown over for the concert) Laughing

Never stuck that close to me since he was in primary school. Wink

Yes, the Boy told me when he got home that there was quite a bit of actual violence near the front (of course, this is all relative - he never stood on the outer wing at Victoria Park at a Collingwood-Carlton game). He suspects that there may have been a fair bit of ice used by a small proportion of the people who attended.

His report is that the performance was stunning, both musically and visually - apparently Maiden are very entertaining and engaging live. No "Aces High" (Dickinson, of course, has a brilliant, operatic singing voice, still - but there are limits to what is humanly possible, at his age), no "Two Minutes to Midnight", no "Run to the Hills" and only one song from Powerslave. Maiden played about 6 songs from the new album and the Boy considered it more interesting to hear all the stuff that hasn't been done to death, although his view is that "Children of the Damned" was the best performance of the night.

I can vouch for Maiden being entertaining and engaging. A musical and visual feast!

The riff in Children Of The Damned just before the solos truly goes off😎 I'm pleased and surprised it's in their set again!

MM

I'm thinking I should have gone, though by the sound of things I might not have lived through the moshing.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
What's your favourite Zep? I'll venture mine - Gallows Pole, Since I've Been Loving You and Black Dog. Also, all of I and II and the rest of III and IV, really.

'Since I've Been Loving You' is my favourite song of theirs, too. Perhaps our musical tastes aren't so incompatible after all. Wink

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Mine change with my mood but When the levy breaks, Immigrant Song, Ramble on, California, and Black dog are copping a fair pasting at the moment...

Also listening to a lot of Flogging Molly and The Rumjacks at the moment and a bit of Dropkick Murphies...much to my 6 year old's delight and wife's horror....Something subversive about a 6 year old singing kiss my Irish arse as we cook together...👍
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Dropkick Murphies aren't bad at all.

Love Rose tattoo and also the boys are back. Rose tattoo more. Their Xmas song is brilliant.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Wilson and Duane.

The guitar playing on this comes with Eric's special recommendation, so it's worth a listen.

No, it really, really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5B1Vfdk7W8

It's hard to grasp that Wilson has been gone for more than a decade, now.

The Muscle Shoals studio band on this is quite incredible, too. I'm reasonably confident (but not certain) that the bass and drums are Hawkins and Hood - one of the greatest rhythm pairings in the history of recorded music.

Here's Duane (playing his famous slide guitar on this number), this time definitely with David Hood on bass and Roger Hawkins on drums and King Curtis on tenor sax with the Muscle Shoals guys, backing Aretha on her version of The Weight, also from 1969:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wta5GU3FNhA

Whitney Houston's more talented Mum is singing backing vocals, along with her niece Dee Dee Warwick (Dionne's talented sister) and Sylvia Shemwell.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:24 am

In breaking news, you may all put down your black texta and put your old vinyls of "IV" back in their sleeves - the writing credit for "Stairway to Heaven" is not going to be amended (this time).

Whilst the jury reached the obviously correct conclusion (I previously posted my view that there was nothing novel about the opening passages that was capable of copyright and I see that seems to have been the defence's primary closing submission), I do marvel at the lunacy of having musical copyright decisions made by a jury. Imagine the uproar if questions about scientific matters (eg, whether or not the earth is flat, how old the universe is etc etc) were left to be determined by asking 12 people brought in from the street (in the knowledge that if any of them actually knew anything about the subject, they'd have to be replaced by someone who didn't)!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:09 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbDfc3--fIs

A friend of mine's son in his new band called "The Melting Caps"

More NSW related & possibly how 25 years olds feel about politics in some respects - more NSW related but pretty good I thought.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 am

The song of the 1966 British summer.

Two World Wars and One World Cup.

And The Kinks, with one of Ray Davies' most atmospheric songs.

"It was [5]0 years ago today ...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLs09J_x6-c

(Nicky Hopkins on piano, of course.)
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
In breaking news, you may all put down your black texta and put your old vinyls of "IV" back in their sleeves - the writing credit for "Stairway to Heaven" is not going to be amended (this time).

Whilst the jury reached the obviously correct conclusion (I previously posted my view that there was nothing novel about the opening passages that was capable of copyright and I see that seems to have been the defence's primary closing submission), I do marvel at the lunacy of having musical copyright decisions made by a jury.

Better a jury than these dime-a-dozen DICKHEAD magistrates clogging up precious courtroom oxygen, like turds clog up your s-bend.

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The song of the 1966 British summer.

Two World Wars and One World Cup.

And The Kinks, with one of Ray Davies' most atmospheric songs.

"It was [5]0 years ago today ...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLs09J_x6-c

(Nicky Hopkins on piano, of course.)

It's just criminal IMHO how damn under-rated Ray Davies is.

For goodness sakes Ma'am, give 'im a bloody knighthood!

MM

PS: As for Zep, I just love The Rover. But, as much as I love them, the more I listen to The Who, the less I listen to Zep.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:40 pm

piedys wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Whilst the jury reached the obviously correct conclusion (I previously posted my view that there was nothing novel about the opening passages that was capable of copyright and I see that seems to have been the defence's primary closing submission), I do marvel at the lunacy of having musical copyright decisions made by a jury.

Better a jury than these dime-a-dozen DICKHEAD magistrates clogging up precious courtroom oxygen, like turds clog up your s-bend.

For some unknown reason, I had a post deleted on here before the Zeps decision that asked people to look at an acoustic version of 'Carolan's Dream' on youtube, written almost 300 years ago. [I don't know how to post links, if someone wants to do it for me, go for it], but this where the tune came from.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:48 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
piedys wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

For some unknown reason, I had a post deleted on here before the Zeps decision that asked people to look at an acoustic version of 'Carolan's Dream' on youtube, written almost 300 years ago. [I don't know how to post links, if someone wants to do it for me, go for it], but this where the tune came from.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFlKx3YPL5I

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:50 pm

For another great keys player other than the ubiquitous Nicky Hopkins, here's Ian McLagan with some Scottish lad on vox:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1p-WDv2sLTw

MM

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:58 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
piedys wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

For some unknown reason, I had a post deleted on here before the Zeps decision that asked people to look at an acoustic version of 'Carolan's Dream' on youtube, written almost 300 years ago. [I don't know how to post links, if someone wants to do it for me, go for it], but this is where the tune came from.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFlKx3YPL5I

Thanks for that Stui. Must learn basic computer skills.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:29 pm

My tummy rumbling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Page 69 of 112   

Jump to: