Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Torture & abuse of children in Juvenile Justice in NT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
Amazing how something is done as it's been exposed on the ABC at the same time the Government is trying to get rid of the ABC.

Makes it pretty clear why the govt want to get rid of the ABC.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:04 pm

The kid is obviously a little shit stain, but he'd be better off with mental health intervention than the treatment he was getting. The thing that really got me was the tear gassing of kids in solitary confinement. Just the whole scenario was sickening. Solitary is a one way path to crazy town and these kids got teargassed because their mate was being a dick.

The whole thing was just Ł$%$ed, and I'm about as far from a bleeding heart ABC watching lefty as you'll find.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

I think you missed Morrigu's point.

Hep C or HIV ring any alarm bells? Rolling Eyes

I've heard antibacterial soap can do wonders.

Anyway, getting back to the more substantial topic at hand, this is a good piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/commentisfree/2016/jul/26/we-act-as-though-people-in-prison-deserve-everything-they-get-they-dont

One can't underestimate that people do spit David. This is not a mere trifle. Have it in ED regularly as do police, paramedics & others indeed emergency workers are subject to this quite a bit.

However, they all could have worn protective glasses (plastic shields as one way to deal with it), they can be better ways than the full hood as was shown, restraint can be better applied than the mechanisms they used.

In many ways it is beside the point though & is not the main issue in town.

The royal commission cannot be in any way controlled or even have any influence by the CLP. The bloke sacked from his role as prisons or corrections is also attorney general there. The leader is a shocker there & needs to resign.

Maybe you should invite David down to the ED or to a mental health inpatient unit and see if he maintains his flippant attitude to to being spat on and his own personal health. I'm pretty sure the staff, management and unions of the people who work there wouldn't.

No argument that there are other and better ways to deal with all of it and that it's not the crux of the issue, the mistreatment is.

But comparing copping some saliva from your baby to being spat on in your workplace is at best naive and at worst fkn stupid.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:22 pm

So to investigate gross failure of the Northern Territory legal system, Turnbull appoints the former chief officer of the Northern Territory legal system.

Make Abbott's Dyson Heydon appointment look almost honest.

Will this Royal Commissioner be the second one in a row to hear submissions on whether he is biased and unfit to preside on this matter, and the second one to decide that he himself is fit to decide that he himself is completely unbiased? You'd bet money on it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Tannin wrote:
So to investigate gross failure of the Northern Territory legal system, Turnbull appoints the former chief officer of the Northern Territory legal system.

Will this Royal Commissioner be the second one in a row to hear submissions on whether he is biased and unfit to preside on this matter, and the second one to decide that he himself is fit to decide that he himself is completely unbiased? You'd bet money on it.

Nail hit head.

Shocking rushed appointment.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:37 am

We wouldn't even have a Royal Commission if this didn't come to light on the Four Corners program on Monday night.

It's a political circus that politicians have exploited now.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:54 am

Because Commissions Royal are never, ever political circuses.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:53 pm

^

They just aren't the same anymore though, not since the lions and tigers stopped being allowed.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:02 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Because Commissions Royal are never, ever political circuses.

Are you HAL reincarnated?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Can you remember any time that [quotePies4shaw]Because Commissions Royal did it?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Tannin wrote:

Quote:
Former Supreme Court judge Brian Martin has resigned as the head of the royal commission into the NT juvenile detention just days after being appointed.

His replacements have been announced as former Queensland Supreme Court judge Margaret White and, following calls for an Indigenous co-commissioner, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Mick Gooda.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/nt-juvenile-detention-royal-commissioner-brian-martin-resigns-days-after-appointment-20160801-gqi4iv.html

Pretty classy effort by Martin.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Quote:
Former Supreme Court judge Brian Martin has resigned as the head of the royal commission into the NT juvenile detention just days after being appointed.

His replacements have been announced as former Queensland Supreme Court judge Margaret White and, following calls for an Indigenous co-commissioner, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Mick Gooda.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/nt-juvenile-detention-royal-commissioner-brian-martin-resigns-days-after-appointment-20160801-gqi4iv.html

Pretty classy effort by Martin.

Yep. Agree 100%.

Should Mick Gouda step down because his (correct) comments post the 4 corners programme that the Federal Govemnet should sack the NT government?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:23 pm

^

Since he was appointed after posting the tweet and assumedly with the full knowledge of that, I have no real opinion but lean toward 'No'.

You?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:03 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Since he was appointed after posting the tweet and assumedly with the full knowledge of that, I have no real opinion but lean toward 'No'.

You?

I think technically, if justice needs to be seen to be done so to speak then he can't be seen to be independent. The same was said about the ex chief justice & Dyson Heydon. Heydon as well know looked long & hard & found himself to be impartial, subjectively he found himself to be objective Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Interesting view on this from JFK.

Quote:
VIEWERS of the ABC were recently shown an emotional, one-sided Four Corners program on juvenile detention in the Northern Territory. It was frightening, but deliberately misleading. It relied on old footage and I believe the program was an abuse of the ABC’s charter and an abuse of taxpayers’ money.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/abc-bias-over-nt-juvenile-detention-issue-offensive-unacceptable-jeff-kennett/news-story/cc33f3a64676aac373ca7a6387d4aaae

He puts some interesting context on the vision and the timing which, if correct, puts some of it in a different light.

I'm sure it will be ignored by some as typical liberal ABC bashing, but it's worth a read if you can get around the firewall.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: