Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great Travis Cloke debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
So, you thought the guy who had 4 kicks and the other guy who didn't get a disposal for the first 50 minutes of the game were better than the guy who had 7 kicks for the night? You could be right - but wtf has happened to our football club that we are making these sorts of distinctions?

All our forwards were poor. However, Moore is young and still learning. Fas was coming back from injury and has been our most prolific goal scorer this season. Cloke, however, should be at the peak of his powers and is our most experienced forward, yet he was pathetic....again.

To be fair to Cloke his jumper seemed to have a large V sticking out of the side of it that appeared to move randomly around his upper torso which may have impacted his movement.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:09 pm

When Cloke was Moore's age, he was young, learning, helped get Collingwood to a Preliminary Final and won the Copeland Trophy. When his father was a few days younger than him, he had 12 kicks, 8 marks, 5 handballs and 3 hitouts backing up Thommo (and kicked 7 goals).
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:33 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
When Cloke was Moore's age, he was young, learning, helped get Collingwood to a Preliminary Final and won the Copeland Trophy. When his father was a few days younger than him, he had 12 kicks, 8 marks, 5 handballs and 3 hitouts backing up Thommo (and kicked 7 goals).

When Cloke was young he was good.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:11 pm

According to the Football Classified panel, Cloke only played well against the Giants because of the 'illegal' glove and he should have been hung and quartered for wearing it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Essendon potted him to the AFL for it. Oh, the irony.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:53 am

Here was a topic that came up with a friend of mine...

Collingwood will straight swap Cloke to Richmond for Deledio....

My response was that this does not help either club, or player.

My friends then suggested that Collingwood will not feature heavily in the trade/free agency period.

I disagreed, as I think we'll be looking for draft picks and then a 2nd/3rd string ruck.

Friends also suggested that we cannot afford to lose too many talls. Again, I responded by pointing out that we are better off getting rid of players who are not helping improve the team. It sounds like we've brought back Brown. And Im open to trading Witts if it greatly improves our draft position and we can get a cheap ruckman (maybe Clarke?) to play behind Grundy/Cox.

Getting back to Cloke.... Will he play in our next Grand Final team? Its hard to say, but Im feeling like our next GF is some time away. So are we better off getting something for him now while he still has value?

What if North traded Petrie in 2012? Would they be better placed with a 23 year old player now, rather than a 33 year old? I guess it depends on who they would have drafted. But they would have given themselves a chance to upgrade their list.

What if Lions traded J Brown in 2010? He dropped off pretty heavily in his final years. Plenty of clubs would have taken him. I believe we were one of them. Would the Lions have been better off taking a first round pick? Yes.

What if Carlton didn't trade Fevola in 2009? Carlton got Henderson and pick 12. They got 100 gams out of Henderson before seeing him off to Geelong and they got Lucas at pick 12 who ended up going to WCE. If they got that pick 12 right (Fyfe went pick 20), you couldnt say it wasnt best for the club.

So I guess its always risky as draft picks dont always turn out to be great players, but at least you have the chance to find one. I wouldn't be trading him for a player of similar age (Deledio for example), but I would be interested in the best pick offered.

I said it earlier, trading Cloke is something that the club will look at very seriously. Whilst keeping him is not the worst option, the club would be insane not to find out what his value is to the other clubs.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:34 am

Methinks he has one more chance to redeem himself, v the weagles, if he fails badly this week, I think that's it for him now. He will be replaced by the big Yank, and we will look for a trade, Norf may grab him as Petrie is done, so we could swap him for say, Tarrant, who maybe handy down back for us.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:17 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Methinks he has one more chance to redeem himself, v the weagles, if he fails badly this week, I think that's it for him now. He will be replaced by the big Yank, and we will look for a trade, Norf may grab him as Petrie is done, so we could swap him for say, Tarrant, who maybe handy down back for us.

I think it all depends on why he was so bold and brilliant two weeks ago and why he was so hesitant and horrible on Saturday. Confidence ? Delivery ? Attitude ? Manic depression ? Only those inside the club will have any idea, and the decision to trade or double down depends on that knowledge.

I thought Moore was pretty good from limited opportunities - at least he was getting to contests deep forward, contesting, bringing the ball to ground and taking some strong contested grabs within range of goal. Travis, as a tall forward, contributed 0.0 with (from memory) 0 score assists.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:58 am

Piesnchess wrote:

I think we need to go for draft picks only. Would rather not go for a player of a similar age to be honest.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:40 pm

I have a gut feeling he may boot four goals v the weagles, and redeem himself.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Or not.

He's played 243 games and kicked 437 goals. I don't think a player of his standing needs to "redeem himself" in a meaningless game near the end of an appalling season by the Club.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I have a gut feeling he may boot four goals v the weagles, and redeem himself.

It's wind mate.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Or not.

He's played 243 games and kicked 437 goals. I don't think a player of his standing needs to "redeem himself" in a meaningless game near the end of an appalling season by the Club.

Impressive stats average of 1.7 goals over career for $800,000 per year since 2012. Suppose it could be worse we could be paying Boyd a million a year for 7 years.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:27 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Or not.

If he is traded, it's a shame he wont get to 250 club games.

He really should have been a chance to be our 3rd 300 game player. (Maybe 4th, if Swan had made it).

If we keep him, does he have 57 AFL games left in him? (Lets say 3 seasons).

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:45 am

What if we don't keep him and he has another 57 games left in him?

Over recent years, I've thought Revolting, Hodge, Mitchell, Enright, Johnson etc were all finished - in most cases I reached that view because injuries seemed to have brought them to the end. They're all still playing and some of them have won premierships (or 3) since (including Johnson who won one while he shouldn't have been able to walk).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 49 of 52   

Jump to: