Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies lose to North. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jatsad 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

2016 is over and come trade time we need to really make some tough calls on players including Sidey & White. Neither are going to be any better than they are now and both are at best B grade players who sometimes have a good quarter or half of footy before stinking it up again

You're not talking about Steele Sidebottom are you? Surely you meant somebody else who stinks it up most of the time, like Williams? I can't understand this. We have lost a game of footy against a team that was sitting top of the tree a few weeks back. A team that had won nine in a row. This team can play. We played badly for a lot of the game and some of our defenders will be having nightmares this week; comedy capers indeed. But why do people come here after a loss and just say such silly things? Sidey stinks it up most of the time? Come on. Somebody else said Smith was hopeless. Seriously! I understand the frustration but can't we show some restraint after a loss and perhaps wait 24 hours before posting?

I hear what you are saying about Smith and Sidey. Can't believe that people are having a go at Smith. As a first year player in the AFL, he has been outstanding. Most definitely a keeper in the small backpocket role that used to belong to Williams, who has become a liability as he lacks all discipline and has horrible disposal skills. However Sidey, who at times can be brilliant, needs a good kick up the arse. His little left foot dinky kicks never come off and is smart arse football. His turnovers invariably end up as a shot on goal for the opposition. Why can't they see that he is the perfect small forward we are lacking? Put him in place of Blair and we might have someone who can actually kick some goals, a bit of the x-factor people always say we are missing.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

2016 is over and come trade time we need to really make some tough calls on players including Sidey & White. Neither are going to be any better than they are now and both are at best B grade players who sometimes have a good quarter or half of footy before stinking it up again

You're not talking about Steele Sidebottom are you? Surely you meant somebody else who stinks it up most of the time, like Williams? I can't understand this. We have lost a game of footy against a team that was sitting top of the tree a few weeks back. A team that had won nine in a row. This team can play. We played badly for a lot of the game and some of our defenders will be having nightmares this week; comedy capers indeed. But why do people come here after a loss and just say such silly things? Sidey stinks it up most of the time? Come on. Somebody else said Smith was hopeless. Seriously! I understand the frustration but can't we show some restraint after a loss and perhaps wait 24 hours before posting?

I agree. Sidey is one of our four best players, along with Pendles, Treloar and Adams.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Every time Sidey is inside 50 in a game he kicks 2 or 3 goals. Hell, he kicked 10 in the TAC GF. If not for his huge 'tank' he'd be a half forward. Keep him up forward the rest of the year, see if he's the crumbling smart I50 player we need. His tank would ruin defenders on the counter from our half back, with over the top jobs being a regular occurrence. A forward line of Elliott, Fasolo, Sidebottom, Moore, Howe and Cox would worry a few defences.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Every time Sidey is inside 50 in a game he kicks 2 or 3 goals. Hell, he kicked 10 in the TAC GF. If not for his huge 'tank' he'd be a half forward. Keep him up forward the rest of the year, see if he's the crumbling smart I50 player we need. His tank would ruin defenders on the counter from our half back, with over the top jobs being a regular occurrence. A forward line of Elliott, Fasolo, Sidebottom, Moore, Howe and Cox would worry a few defences.

I agree.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:24 pm

WE do not play the Etihad shithole at all well, we played a vastly more experienced team that literally had to win, after five losses, and had been humiliated in the media all week long. Norf play Etihad very well, and were really fired up for this one, to save their finals spot. Our start is a concern tho, for the third week in a row we have started poorly, you cant give an outfit like the Roos five goals start and hope too win, just catch up footy. We did play well in spurts, we had a red hot go in the last qtr, with an ounce of luck we could have got within one goal, but a costly turnover, a roos goal, followed by a doubtful boundary line free and Harvey goal and that was it. I was tho, very disappointed with our last four mins, we coughed up three soda goals, I think we chucked it in after the Harvey goal, put he cue in the rack, and Norf got junk time goals. I reckon we really should have lost by twenty points, not forty, it was extremely poor to go down like that, we deserved better.
Cloke was very disappointing, as was Fas, if cloke fails next week, its over for him with us, bring back the big Yank then. Sinclair was a big loss, and while we did hang in there and fought back, the last four minutes must be reviewed savagely, it was shocking way to end the game on that note. Moore, sidey and reid did well, and blair had a go, as did greenwood, but we had some guys who really should have done much more.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Tonight was a disgrace no matter how you coat it.
If anyone is silly enough to think Sidey is a elite player still have a look at his dinky disposals, kicking it directly to a opposition player when under no pressure and his complete lack of defensive pressure on his opponent (Gibson was on him in the first half who had 21 touches @ 89% eff 4 tackles 4 rebound 50's 3 inside 50's 3 score involvements compared to 15 touches 4 turnovers and another 5 disposals to 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 contests in norths favour) for every brilliant act he does there's 5 stupid ones to counter act it
He's not by himself that's for sure so many senior players who for whatever reason still can't hit a target or kick a goal from 30m away
North mixed things up in there line up and we had no answers
How we managed to get back to being only 11 points down in the last term is a miracle and then we miss 3 or 4 very kickable goals
And what was with the false bravado ? We're trying to knock north players around there getting the ball and kicking goals at will
Tonight exposed everything that's wrong with the team and club
Buckley needs to front the press and explain why he couldn't make a change that even looked like halting momentum when it counted, why his players can't kick or handball, why our structures completely collapse when under any pressure, why he doesn't demand more from his senior players and supposed leaders, why we thought it was smart to forget about the football and only worry about hitting opponents for the first half
This is just a team with to many dumb footballers in it
For the first time this season I'm finally convinced of 3 things
Buckley can't coach
We have no on field leaders including our captain who I rate very highly as a player
And our list is miles from being a top 4 side
I don't even care about next week or the rest of the season now after last night means nothing

Anyone who thinks Sidey played poorly, sure as hell wasn't watching the same game I was . Shocked Confused Confused Confused

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

I agree.

I agree too.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
Awful skill execution and decision making. Mistakes made all night long. Gave up an early 5 goal lead, average teams cannot win doing this stuff. Dysfunctional forward line applies zero pressure. We saw everything wrong with our team tonight, how we got within a few goals in the last just to throw in the towel is torturous. Williams, Varcoe, Smith, Brown, Cloke, Maynard, Marsh, Crisp, Aish and Fasolo were all horrible, that is 10 players giving basically nothing from a positive play perspective. We need a massive list overhaul. Another worst performance under Buckley contender to throw in the pile. I understand now that we need a game with low pressure in order to play well, what a soft side we are.

You think Smith was horrible? Spare me please. Nick's really is going to the dogs.

I thought Smith was very good last night and handled the ball especially well given the pressure he was under. I thought he was probably our best player in the early part of the game, before all was lost.

I think you should probably just ignore the views expressed about Sidebottom. they are unutterably silly.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:54 pm

I agree with all those who commended Josh Smith for last night's performance. I was watching the game in a pub and was attempting to post with my phone on this forum how much I liked his game in the first quarter. He was instrumental in repelling many of the attacks that North unleashed due to our inability to win centre clearances.
As for Steele Sidebottom, he is a star. I definitely think we should in the next few games experiment with him as a pure forward.
DT 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:05 pm

I was there last night and this game encapsulated our season. Woeful, brilliant, effort, no effort, poor skill, great skill and above all INCONSISTENCY. We are a Jekyll and Hyde team and it is difficult to know if we are on track or not, have a good list or not, have a good coach or not.

Smith - showed a lot of composure and has good skill. A find for this year.

Sidey - I am a huge fan and he is a very good player who did some exceptional things but he let himself down with some really poor errors which are really inexcusable for a player of his ilk. He would be disappointed in himself.

Grundy - we need to support him more as he was really tired. Cox back in for another forward. Massive improvement this year. Becoming an A grader

Cloke - oh boy was he bad. From the star against GWS to the boiled lolly last night. Maybe his body is wrecked from all the punishment of playing as a key forward

Fasolo - another significant improver this year but was stone cold last night. Can happen to anyone so I can't read much into it

Moore - interesting game. He is a real tryer and that shows great character as he was out of sorts for most of the game but got better as the game went on. This is leadership - persisting when you are down. Will be a star

Greenwood - good kick for goal but was thrashed by Wells. He is a blue collar player of limited ability and not very footy smart. We need to move him on if we are to improve

Crisp - sums up our season - inconsistent. Lot of talent but erratic and needs to be consistent. Learning year but a very good player when on song. Bit of s downhill skier

Adams - super. Hard, smart player who shows leadership. Takes good options and is our second most influential player after Grundy

Howe - has been very good but lowered his colours last night.

Treloar - almost great. Kicking skills let him down. Perhaps a legacy of his operation. If he can fix this he will be A grade

Blair - whipping boy of forums but who else do we have to create forward pressure - ok, Varcoe does it sometimes but he plays more off half back or wing. I think he is a useful role player but nothing more. What it shows is that we lack dangerous crumbling small forwards. Oh for a Chad Wingard, the closest player to the Macedonian Marvel currently playing

White - a bit like Blair - is playing ok but fumbles too much. Still he has shown enough to keep as a third tall and chop out ruck.

Overall we have a lot of 5 to 6/ 10 level players and it shows why we are a mediocre team with no discernible style. We can't play zone only man on man defence and we have a very overrated midfield, a dysfunctional forward line (we don't have the right mix of players yet on our list) and a young backline that has not played enough games together. It is very hard to see if we will improve much next year if we keep with the same recruiting and coaching regime. I would like to see a change but I doubt that the Board will do so as they are too captive to Eddie and Pert and their close ties to Buckley.

roar 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm not saying we should get rid of Sidey but he was terrible on Friday night: Directly responsible for at least 2 goals and pretty much every kick he had in the first half was a turnover.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:12 pm

roar wrote:
I'm not saying we should get rid of Sidey but he was terrible on Friday night: Directly responsible for at least 2 goals and pretty much every kick he had in the first half was a turnover.

He may have made the mistake of playing to instructions - the gameplan all evening seemed to be to turn it over and try to get it back.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Howe must now always, always, boot the ball as far as he can from the backline goalsquare, we gave the Roos two snags from his keystone cops errors and shortpassing. KICK IT LONG, IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE MATE.!!

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:46 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
roar wrote:

He may have made the mistake of playing to instructions - the gameplan all evening seemed to be to turn it over and try to get it back.

"all evening": read - most weeks...

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:05 pm

That was bloody Stupid by Marley and don't want that

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-07-23/maynard-and-thomas-tangle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: