Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bomber wants a gig!! (yes, it's long)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If I hear this idiotic shite about "just give him one more year" again...
I've been hearing that shite since 2013, remember? The last time we played a final?

And saving Buckley by defaming Thompson is the most pathetic argument I've heard in my life! Out of all of you, only ONE managed to offer an alternative. Personally I'd be MUCH happier if Stewie Dew was coach next year, instead of the most embarrassing failure coach of the modern era.
Dew would get us to 7th-8th in '17, Bomber would get us to the double chance. I will bet my house on it. If you know your footy history, I mean really know it, you couldn't come to any other conclusion.

And finally, if we win our last 6, make finals, and win ONE final, I will be outside Eddies house holding a giant "KEEP BUCKS" banner.
I don't have any agenda except Collingwood winning. I don't care if Donald Trump is coach and Saddam Hussein is training manager, so long as were winning most of our games and putting up a fight in ALL of them!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 pm

35forever wrote:
If I hear this idiotic shite about "just give him one more year" again...
I've been hearing that shite since 2013, remember? The last time we played a final?

And saving Buckley by defaming Thompson is the most pathetic argument I've heard in my life! Out of all of you, only ONE managed to offer an alternative. Personally I'd be MUCH happier if Stewie Dew was coach next year, instead of the most embarrassing failure coach of the modern era.
Dew would get us to 7th-8th in '17, Bomber would get us to the double chance. I will bet my house on it. If you know your footy history, I mean really know it, you couldn't come to any other conclusion.

And finally, if we win our last 6, make finals, and win ONE final, I will be outside Eddies house holding a giant "KEEP BUCKS" banner.
I don't have any agenda except Collingwood winning. I don't care if Donald Trump is coach and Saddam Hussein is training manager, so long as were winning most of our games and putting up a fight in ALL of them!

but what do you really think 35F? Wink
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Lazza wrote:
For some great reasons best kept to myself to save myself from the infliction of defamation laws, my simple answer is a comprehensive NO.

Given lazza's line of work, I think this speaks volumes (in relation to Bomber that is).

No further comment your Honour

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992

Last edited by Collingwood Crackerjack on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
piepower 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:30 pm

woftam wrote:
If Bucks isn't coaching us next year then I hope to god Bomber Thompson isn't.

Definitely not.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:32 pm

35forever wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
It's a no from me. We have an excellent coach already.

The Bears are in the market for someone who actually has a clue about coaching and managing players (people skills) so Bomber might head north.

We have an excellent coach!
Well, that is debatable.

Actually its really not!I can't get a damn soul to debate the so-called ability he has. Any way you look at it, stats, comparisons, numbers, progress, examples, anything, there is simply no data to show Buckley isn't the worst coach in the game, maybe second to Leppa.

these fools just cant get Buckley the player out of their head, but really, if you'd analyzed his playing days you woulda known he wasn't suited to coaching.

the data is obvious: A team rising to a flag with consecutive Minor Prems for the first time since the '60's, changes coaches and drops from there to 4th, 6th, 11th, 12th. You'd almost consider it just growing pains if he took over a side that was 16th, but NO! He took over a Rolls Royce, a team playing far, far better than they had in 2010, or 1990. I think it was the best Magpie side in the 50 odd years I've been watching, and the numbers, (percentage etc- highest since 1929!!! and only 2 losses! first time since 1915!). Others don't agree they were that good, but you cant say they weren't among the very best. Surely?
Just 5 seasons later that team is going to miss the finals 3 years in a row, for the first time this century! How is that even possible? In 2010-2011, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU expected continued success, as did the whole world.

There is no possible way a reasonable person could look at just that bit, and conclude that we have a "great coach"
So no, no debate.

It is very hard to find a rational argument to counter the above

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:34 pm

piepower wrote:
[quote="woftam"]If Bucks isn't coaching us next year then I hope to god Bomber Thompson isn't.[/quote]

Definitely not.
Then what is it?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
35forever wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

The Bears are in the market for someone who actually has a clue about coaching and managing players (people skills) so Bomber might head north.

We have an excellent coach!
Well, that is debatable.

Actually its really not!I can't get a damn soul to debate the so-called ability he has. Any way you look at it, stats, comparisons, numbers, progress, examples, anything, there is simply no data to show Buckley isn't the worst coach in the game, maybe second to Leppa.

these fools just cant get Buckley the player out of their head, but really, if you'd analyzed his playing days you woulda known he wasn't suited to coaching.

the data is obvious: A team rising to a flag with consecutive Minor Prems for the first time since the '60's, changes coaches and drops from there to 4th, 6th, 11th, 12th. You'd almost consider it just growing pains if he took over a side that was 16th, but NO! He took over a Rolls Royce, a team playing far, far better than they had in 2010, or 1990. I think it was the best Magpie side in the 50 odd years I've been watching, and the numbers, (percentage etc- highest since 1929!!! and only 2 losses! first time since 1915!). Others don't agree they were that good, but you cant say they weren't among the very best. Surely?
Just 5 seasons later that team is going to miss the finals 3 years in a row, for the first time this century! How is that even possible? In 2010-2011, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU expected continued success, as did the whole world.

There is no possible way a reasonable person could look at just that bit, and conclude that we have a "great coach"
So no, no debate.

It is very hard to find a rational argument to counter the above

Really ? I'd say that it is a completely simplistic analysis which ignores the fact that this "Best side in 50 years" fell over the line in the 2011 prelim and then fell apart to the tune of 40+ points a week later. It was a good side, but it failed when it was at its peak.

The next few years resolved into making the prelim in 2012 and then a necessary rebuild from 2013 onward. Along the way we have had some coach failings (to be expected from any coach, but especially a rookie), two years cruelled by injuries, and the predictable ups and downs of a development side, which have been experienced by every development side since time immemorial.

"Rationality" is not fixing on one simple cause in the midst of a complex and multi-faceted situation and repeating it as though it is the answer to all ills. That's actually magic thinking, in my view.

On the subject, Thompson was assistant coach at Essendon in the Hird years. He is therefore disqualified for the job on ethical and judgement grounds. Next....

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:39 pm

I have no idea if Buckley will walk or be pushed but, with regards to Thompson, it's worth remembering where Geelong finished in 2006.

MM

Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:08 am

35forever wrote:
Personally I'd be MUCH happier if Stewie Dew was coach next year

Put the Bucks thing to one side. What concrete evidence do you have that Stewie Dew would be a good coach?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:14 am

Do not let Bomber Thompson near our club. this guy is unhinged, and not the type that we require. We require a guy who is capable of motivation, who promotes stability, who understands the psychology of our players and who has a coherent, strategic game plan. Luke Beveridge springs to mind. A coach of this type. Buckley has not been able to motivate our guys with the consistency of a Luke Beveridge. Yet i do not think that our list is greatly inferior to the WBs.
I see elements of inspiration in Buckley's coaching, but he is unable to maintain it. We need to be able to maintain it.
SuperSwede 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:49 am

[quote="35forever"][quote="thompsoc"]

So no, no debate.

Now, the REASON I want Bomber is not just his sustained record of success, its because he is among the very best in EXACTLY the area Buckley is weakest. Getting the best out of & motivating a group of guys. Just look what he did with Essendum in '14, with the shit they were going through.

The only arguments the Buckley boys can ever present are our crap list, and the 5 years of injuries.

Look back at how often I've been right about stuff like this, and listen:

Get Bomber: Top 4 in '17
Keep Buckley: same again, finishing between 7th & 13th. Remember this, coz I'll bet the farm. If you have a group of guys who are showing signs of improvement, the catalyst to a big ladder jump is almost always a new coach. Now look at the sides we were beating easily a few years ago:Melbourne, StKilda, Carlton, GWS, Footscray. All heading in a northerly direction.
What do YOU think the reason is?

And yet in 2011 in the game that really mattered this Rolls Royce of a team not only lost the GF by a margin close to 40 Points, but only just made it to the GF in the first place.
Yes I know you have a far-fetched theory of how the succession plan cost us the 2011 flag and probably the 2012 flag as well. But if you are honest with yourself, what facts are there to actually support this theory ?
I guess we were both disappointed that day in 2011, but the fact remains we were beaten (comfortably). It is only our interpretation of the events that followed that is different.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:56 am

[quote="SuperSwede"][quote="35forever"]
thompsoc wrote:

So no, no debate.

Now, the REASON I want Bomber is not just his sustained record of success, its because he is among the very best in EXACTLY the area Buckley is weakest. Getting the best out of & motivating a group of guys. Just look what he did with Essendum in '14, with the shit they were going through.

The only arguments the Buckley boys can ever present are our crap list, and the 5 years of injuries.

Look back at how often I've been right about stuff like this, and listen:

Get Bomber: Top 4 in '17
Keep Buckley: same again, finishing between 7th & 13th. Remember this, coz I'll bet the farm. If you have a group of guys who are showing signs of improvement, the catalyst to a big ladder jump is almost always a new coach. Now look at the sides we were beating easily a few years ago:Melbourne, StKilda, Carlton, GWS, Footscray. All heading in a northerly direction.
What do YOU think the reason is?

And yet in 2011 in the game that really mattered this Rolls Royce of a team not only lost the GF by a margin close to 40 Points, but only just made it to the GF in the first place.
Yes I know you have a far-fetched theory of how the succession plan cost us the 2011 flag and probably the 2012 flag as well. But if you are honest with yourself, what facts are there to actually support this theory ?
I guess we were both disappointed that day in 2011, but the fact remains we were beaten (comfortably). It is only our interpretation of the events that followed that is different.

Even though I disagree, I agree with your logic and therefore you should agree with mine - Sack Bucks now!!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:07 am

Well if not bomber, a proven coach who may or may not be a total nut job, who? This is experiment with the favourite son has failed miserably. Even if his ideas are good, the players ain't getting it. We know they have talent. And after Eddie came out publicly and said we need to change things, we saw it on show. He needs to go back and finish his apprenticeship, because the motor keeps blowing up. The crank shaft needs oil, before it gets too bent too fix.

Just look at one very expensive Travis Cloke.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:10 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Do not let Bomber Thompson near our club. this guy is unhinged, and not the type that we require. We require a guy who is capable of motivation, who promotes stability, who understands the psychology of our players and who has a coherent, strategic game plan. Luke Beveridge springs to mind. A coach of this type. Buckley has not been able to motivate our guys with the consistency of a Luke Beveridge. Yet i do not think that our list is greatly inferior to the WBs.
I see elements of inspiration in Buckley's coaching, but he is unable to maintain it. We need to be able to maintain it.

I second you Magpietothemax on not letting Thompson anywhere near our club. Surely his viewpoint on the current Geelong list puts any doubt on this question to bed. He reckons Kelly, Stokes and Johnson should still be in the hoops this year. Club loyalty has been betrayed. Club greats don't get to go out on their terms. Really? Can anyone seriously think Geelong would be where they are on the ladder now if they had gone this path rather than trading out these guys and then bringing in fresh talent. Dangerfield is having arguably a best ever season. Henderson has been great down back. Stanley and the other big bloke are dangerous and effective. It would have been all too easy for Scott and his mob to take the easier option and go with the Bomber path. And they'd be languishing mid table or worse if they did.
Bomber also acknowledges being selfish over the breakup of his marriage but hey that's just part of the deal of being coach. Plus you get to watch what you want on TV and not clean your dishes each night. don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at people who's marriage break up. It happens. But these comments are a window into his mindset and character. They are a poor message to be putting out to all those young men in your charge. Bomber was good and I wish him well in life but is past his use by date as an AFL coach.

As for getting in Bevo , well that's not going to happen. Doggies wouldn't let him go and he wouldn't rat on them. He would lose all credibility if he did and be only half the coach at the pies than he is now at the dogs (which is gold class standard I agree) .

As for this thread?
It's another in a series of endless diatribes about what a dud Bucks is because he disassembled a dynasty and we've missed flags and slid down the ladder as a result. yah deh yah deh yah deh.No 35. He and his team at least have had the balls to make the tough calls because they think that's what's necessary to make the team a genuine chance of going all the way. Just like Scott and the other top teams have. Rather than taking the soft option and sticking with players past their use by date, or close to it. Yes we have slid down the ladder and are champing at the bit to get back into September. It will never happen if we get Bomber and his mindset. At least we are a chance next year with Bucks at the helm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: