Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies pulverise Giants . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:13 pm
Post subject: Post match. Pies pulverise Giants . All comments please.Reply with quote

Collingwood 19.11.125
GWS 14.9.93

Goals: Trav 4, White 3, Fas, Blair 2, Grundy, Sidey, Sinkers, Caff, Smith, Adams, Varcoe, Aish 1

Disposals: Adams 31, Sidey 28, Treloar 27, Pendles, Grundy 26, Smith 23, Trav 20, Howe 21, Crisp 20, de Goey 17, Marsh, Varcoe, Marsh, Sinkers 16, Crisp, Maynard 15, Fas 14, Blair 15, White 13

AF points: Trav 121, Grundy, Sidey 119, Adams 104, White 97, Howe, Treloar 96, Pendles 91

Crowd: 13,483

Let's hear ya !!

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:25 pm; edited 7 times in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent performance! Absolutely blown away by how brilliant we were today.

Grundy and White were outstanding. Fantastic to see Cloke back to his best. Everyone stepped up and played their roles to perfection.

Ecstatic to say the least! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

magirl Aries

Brilliant. Everything we wanted to see including a welcome return to form by Cloke. Well done whole team. Brodie Grundy take a bow
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:16 pm

I noticed that the foxtel team did not have a boundry rider. So there was no reports on injuries or anything like that.

Cam Mooney was with them, but there was no ground level comments...

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:17 pm

I love the white jumper by the way. It looks great!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Presti35 wrote:
I noticed that the foxtel team did not have a boundry rider. So there was no reports on injuries or anything like that.

Cam Mooney was with them, but there was no ground level comments...
What happened?
neil Sagittarius

Wow did not see that coming
Well done
The Buckley haters are going to have a hard time explaining this result
Having a forward line helps

Krakouer Magic 

Great win. This team should be playing finals. Good to see Cloke stick it up em. Should never have been dropped
Back bucks 

The newspaper headlines are going to read : Giant Killers.

Good game and looked like a half organised team.

Back Bucks

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:20 pm

One of our great wins, YEAH BABY!!
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

And to win without Pendles and Treloar really dominating is nice. In fact, those two haven't been hugely prominent in the last few weeks which is encouraging in a perverse sort of way.
Bob Sugar 

We'll all wake up soon.

Lets hope this is the start of something.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Where the Hell that came From?

Is GWS like Geelong where we always play well agsinst them?

Grundy BOG and De Goey [snip]

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I see The Age did a big spread on Grundy this morning. Can do another one next week if they like. Cloke was playing with a glove again today - has he been wearing that all season? I seem to recall a couple of games where he was bare handed.
Anyway, a game for the ages. Looking forward to watching it again on replay.
What the Age said about Grundy:

Brodie Grundy moved into a new house two weeks ago, his first. The internet hasn't been connected yet and neither has the television, which has forced some innovative thinking. "I've picked up all the leaves in my front yard, and I went and bought a new knife set," he said. "I've been fussing over my cutlery, making sure it's clean, all these things my mum would have loved me to be interested in a few years ago. And I've sat there in the house, just chilling. It's been so quiet."

He likes it that way. Grundy has a theory that every day is like an iPhone battery: he likes to keep himself feeling fully charged for as long as possible. It means he sleeps, whenever he can. It means trying not to do too much during the week, a challenge for a person who likes to do things other than train and play, and who pours so much into the training and playing. He likes to play in night games for Collingwood, because they leave time for one last nap. "I want to keep the battery at 100 per cent,' he said, "but some days it's a challenge."

That's because Grundy often finds himself in the conditioning coach's office, asking why he is training a certain way and how it will help make him better. "I hate wasting time!" Or he is at university, starting a study session that doesn't stop until seven hours later. Grundy is in his second year of a health and science degree and aiming to progress into physiotherapy, but has made some new friends who want to be doctors and wondered whether there is any good reason he couldn't do the same thing.

"The time constraints would make it hard. I didn't do biology in year 11 or 12 and felt like I was drowning at first, but I caught up and with the guys I know and am talking to, I feel like I'm just as knowledgeable as they are in the subjects we're doing," he said. "It makes me think, 'Well if those guys are doing it, maybe I could do it too. It's just thinking, am I pushing myself enough with this?

"It happens here too. Adam Treloar – he works so hard, he's awesome. I said to him the other day, 'You're really pushing me, whether you know it or not'. When I see him working so hard, it reminds me to think, 'Am I making the most of this opportunity?' Because that's why I'm here, to get better."

It always has been. Grundy got sick at the end of the pre-season, was outside the team for round one and not playing as well as he wanted when he did get in. Even the last-second goal he kicked from just outside the goal square to help his team beat Richmond by a point in round two didn't work out as well as it should have. 'Why didn't you jump?' the coaches wanted to know, 'instead of stay down and wait for the ball?' "They said, 'We liked the goal and you won the game but you probably should have been trying to mark it'," Grundy said, smiling. "But I feel like that side of my game will come, the more I work on it. You can always play big, and some big players can't play small. But sometimes in here it's: Play big! Play big first!"

Grundy loves being a ruckman. He is a ruckman. He loves the freedom, the time he gets to spend around the ball, the chance he has to play against one player for most of the day, to take them on in more than one way. "You know how much work they're done and you know when you can challenge them," he said. "I just prefer being in the thick of it, I suppose. Growing up playing basketball, you're always involved. Even if the ball's on the other side of the key it's only a couple of passes away. Up forward in footy, you're always wishing you could be in the thick of it."

He used to think he could only really impact the play when he was in the ruck, too. But in the past few weeks, things have started to change. Grundy has worked on his marking, and started to take a few more. Against Carlton last week he managed to kick two goals and Nathan Buckley told him last week that he was lengthening – spreading – better by the week. "I think I've matured a bit," he said. "When I go forward it's OK, you're here, you might as well make the most of it and try to kick some goals. And I'm believing in myself a bit more. I can see some progress."

The positive reinforcement from the coach has helped, and made him start to feel more relaxed. "Footy can be pretty consuming and for a few weeks I was finding it pretty hard. I felt like I wasn't doing well, like people weren't happy with my footy and it was, 'I'm trying to do my best'!" he said. "It's like what I said about Adam Treloar. You see things and think things and think, 'I can do that'. But you have to check yourself every now and again, because you can get caught up in it and it becomes too much and all of a sudden you're like, 'God, I need a break'.

"It's just finding the balance. I think you have to trust your intuition, your gut. Sometimes I think, I'm going to do extra this and extra that, and I'm going to do it every week. In my first couple of years, if I didn't do it, I'd be 'you're weak, you're not doing what you said you'd do'. Now I think, 'don't become a slave to it, if you're not going to get anything out of it or you're tired as hell, there's no point'."

It has been a nice realisation. "I feel like I have a better balance now. I'd been doing heaps of extra work, so in the past few weeks it's been, 'Right, I've done all that work, it's OK to just do the program, not the program plus three hours'. I don't know if I'm playing better because of that, but I might be. It's just trusting yourself, knowing more about yourself and having belief."

And being himself, too. Grundy, Darcy Moore and Jesse White spent a night this week at the first ever Talkshop event in Melbourne, where entrepreneurs, artists and other creative types spoke about originality and personality, about staying true to who they are within their particular industries.

"There was a photographer there, and she was talking about how your clients can tell if you're real or not," Grundy said. "I could relate to it, because it made me think about how people can change to fit the environment they're in. Not just footy, but footy in a way, because people always say, you can't change 120 years of culture when that's not what anyone needs to try and do. It's more about making it a wholesome, enjoyable place where people can be who they are.

"She was saying how important it is to stay humble, be true to yourself starting out and stay that way, because people can smell a fake. I was like, yes! People call me a weird cat at times, but the people who say that are the ones I think are weird because they're so immersed in the footy environment. I'm just a kid who goes to uni and plays footy. There are people out there doing some really different stuff – people who work in the circus, who are installation artists, some crazy stuff – so it was a really refreshing night. We all left feeling really motivated, about footy but about everything else in life."

It was a good feeling. Grundy was reasonably new to football when he walked into Collingwood four years ago, and it was a daunting environment at first: lots of older people, lots of strong and loud personalities. "I found it hard. It can be a real challenge in the beginning to be true to yourself," he said. "It's mellowed out a bit now, I think. The younger guys are starting to express themselves and feel like they can be whoever they want to be. My thinking on it is, let's not give people a hard time because you never know, maybe it's the real quiet kid who has an idea that can transform everything. As long as you're contributing and you're honest, it should be fine. As long as you're giving something positive to the team, you should be who you want to be."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11   

Jump to: