Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Honesty

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:58 pm
Post subject: HonestyReply with quote

Does my bum look big in this?

Actually don't answer that!

Today I went out with a friend, when I dropped her off she showed me the dress she bought for her daughters 21st this week. I said "oh black and white, Collingwood, good choice"

But I was thinking, OMFG that is the ugliest, most shapeless dress i have ever seen. Maybe it looks better on. I doubt it.

This is it, it looks worse in real life, it's a sack, it's obviously pulled in in some of these shots
http://www.trenery.com.au/shop/womenswear/clothing/dresses/60193384/Blurred-Check-Wrap-Dress.html

I had absolutely no idea how to tell her what I really thought! It didn't even have room for 'do you think it's a bit to cool for the weather?' What would you say? Do I hurt her feelings, or 'save' her arse?

yeah I'd want to know. But she drove over the other side of town, spent a fortune on it.

Maybe I'm too judgemental, first thing I thought when I saw Carro on the show tonight was, Jesus fecking Christ, where did she get that shirt, did no one tell her?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Elle McPherson at her peak could make that dress look good.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:22 am

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:48 am

Sometimes, as they say, ignorance is bliss. Wink

But such things are also subjective. If she genuinely liked that dress enough to buy it, perhaps other people will too. And even if no-one does, it's not the end of the world if we don't look as attractive as possible every day of the week. That's my rationalisation, anyhow. Smile

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:25 am

If she's comfortable in it and happy to wear it (which she must be or she wouldn't have bought it) why would you say anything? Just to make her uncomfortable & self conscious?
It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, putting a belt on it would probably make a huge difference.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 am

luvdids wrote:
If she's comfortable in it and happy to wear it (which she must be or she wouldn't have bought it) why would you say anything? Just to make her uncomfortable & self conscious?
It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, putting a belt on it would probably make a huge difference.

This.

If someone's confident enough then they can pull off just about anything, better to tell someone it looks great and let them get on with it. Different if they're trying it on and you don't like the look of it, but already bought and paid for, and excitedly anticipating wearing it; just go with the white lie.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:37 am

fair enough. glad i was, um, tactful (read chicken!) then.

so is there ever a time when a little honesty is good? i mean she got it out to show me!

i guess part of it was at a 21st the week before (i seem to have 2 a month at the moment!!) the hostess i thought looked amazing in a really nice cocktail dress, and she was self conscious all night, thinking she looked like mutton done up as lamb!! (she really didnt). i managed to nail it at my first daughters 21st (ive had friends asking to borrow my "perfect" dress since then! its pure genius in design, colour, shape, construction wise! and on special for $99 at the time! ive worn it 3 times now!!). have the other daughters in October. time to start looking!!

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:21 pm

think positive wrote:

so is there ever a time when a little honesty is good? i mean she got it out to show me!

i guess part of it was at a 21st the week before (i seem to have 2 a month at the moment!!) the hostess i thought looked amazing in a really nice cocktail dress, and she was self conscious all night, thinking she looked like mutton done up as lamb!! (she really didnt). i managed to nail it at my first daughters 21st (ive had friends asking to borrow my "perfect" dress since then! its pure genius in design, colour, shape, construction wise! and on special for $99 at the time! ive worn it 3 times now!!). have the other daughters in October. time to start looking!!

Yes. If you're asked to go clothes shopping with someone to be able to give an opinion - always be honest (you don't even have to say much - just a little "maybe we'll keep looking" is enough! Wink). After it's been bought & you're being shown it, probably not.

I have certain friends that I'll always take clothes shopping (if I'm after an opinion) because I know they'll be honest. There are others that always say 'oh yes, that's gorgeous' when I know damn well it aint!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:42 pm

luvdids wrote:
think positive wrote:

Yes. If you're asked to go clothes shopping with someone to be able to give an opinion - always be honest (you don't even have to say much - just a little "maybe we'll keep looking" is enough! Wink). After it's been bought & you're being shown it, probably not.

I have certain friends that I'll always take clothes shopping (if I'm after an opinion) because I know they'll be honest. There are others that always say 'oh yes, that's gorgeous' when I know damn well it aint!

Cheers, and the last line that's my hubby all over! And then when I'm ready go out I get nope don't like that! My daughters are good to shop with, and they have a nice way of putting it! "Yes but it doesn't show off '......'!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Well no one at work has been shy in telling me my new prescription safety glasses look like something out of Dame Edna's dressing room Shocked

Laughing

That dress Razz wouldn't look good as a tea towel. Who designed it, Stevie Wonder?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Skids wrote:
Well no one at work has been shy in telling me my new prescription safety glasses look like something out of Dame Edna's dressing room Shocked

That dress Razz wouldn't look good as a tea towel. Who designed it, Stevie Wonder?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Needs a pic of those specs!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:16 pm

luvdids wrote:

Well you were right, it didn't look anywhere near as bad as I expected, and she had a really nice fitted jacket over it that gave it shape, and it really looked smart.

But she was freezing! We all were! I had jeans, a knit polo neck jumper and a leather jacket, and I ended up putting hubby's work jacket over it about three quarters through the night! It was in a hall down near the Bach, and it was DAMN cold! Far colder than the MCG Friday night, but then wearing ski longjohns, pants, jumper, jacket and boots might have looked a bit strange at a 21st! Getting plonked might have helped but I said I'd drive! Gees I'm glad I have one kid born in February, and the other in October!

Cheers!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Oh god my turn to pick a dress, maybe I'll take her shopping!

Juniors 21st

And hubby's 60th, with a 60s theme!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: