Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

September Zeros wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
I'm hoping Sam pushes off the fence with the long run up tonight.

Poor Eddie. With friends like Sam last night, Eddie doesn't need more enemies. The paleontological tool that Sam is has NFI.

This is the same Sam that thought it was funny to get a mannequin & assault it as he did with the picture of Wilson on it. Of course Sam said it was all a joke, nothing in it.

WTF ?? Sam, whom I often disagree with, pointed out very well the gross hypocrisy between radio 3AW , Caros mob, and MMM, Caro let the AW team say the same thing, did nothing, not a whimper, then after five day, five bloody days, unleashes feinged outrage against eddie. Gimme a break, Sam caught her out good n proper, for the pontificating scandal bullshit artist she truly is. Surprised Exclamation

Sam was barely human last night for continuing the attack on Caroline Wilson.

Eddie and all involved, should be and ARE sorry for the threatening language that was used.

Sam and some of these posts are just a part of the evidence of why we need to stop accepting that that behaviour is ok.

BANG goes the hammer as it hits the nails head!

Wasn't it Danny Frawley who said the words "I'll hold her under Ed"

What did Eddie say that was sooooooooo offensive?

Have already stated frawley's comments were far worse.

I believe the comment was "50K if she stays under..."

But if its a matter of debating whether the comments were unseemly, I'll let the statements from the Club, CEO, and Eds apology speak for themselves....not quite sure what u r trying to say? Do u disagree with the above mentioned 3?

If so, fair play, but be explicit

The club, the CEO , shorten , the Richmond footy club and all the other outraged do speak for themselves .....as a bunch of sheep following the popularist trending media driven band wagon.

Ed on the other hand simply had to apologise to make it go away. He's about as sorry as Wilson is hurt......ie not very.

You presume to speak for Eds motives? Very odd....in any case, clearly my opinion is in the minority, as I have prev stated, not sure if any further conversation is of much use on this topic

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:21 pm

One of the ironies last night was that Eddie was replaced by a woman sports journalist / host on Fox Footy, Sarah Jones. It turns out that it was the highest rated Thursday night footy broadcast on Fox TV!! (not that the sample is huge)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-win-for-jones-and-fox-footy-amid-the-mess-20160624-gprkyp.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:46 pm

No irony that the article is written by Wilson.

I always watch the game on Foxtel rather than on 7 if it's being broadcast on both for a simple reason - no commercials during the game. Suggesting that the ratings increase was due to having a female on the coverage is drawing a very long bow IMO, but if that inference means she gets more air time during footy games, good luck to her.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Oh wow,

https://www.change.org/p/the-age-sack-carline-wilson?recruiter=54513653&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=des-sm-share_petition-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I always watch the game on Foxtel rather than on 7 if it's being broadcast on both for a simple reason - no commercials during the game. Suggesting that the ratings increase was due to having a female on the coverage is drawing a very long bow IMO, but if that inference means she gets more air time during footy games, good luck to her.

Nothing at all to do wth two potential flag contenders playing on a Thursday night.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:32 pm

I will mention that to my , Member 7167.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:54 am

matrix10 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Nothing at all to do wth two potential flag contenders playing on a Thursday night.

No, it's all based on the gender of the presenter! Rolling Eyes

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:09 pm

Another hatchet job in the AFR:

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/can-melbourne-powerbroker-eddie-mcguire-survive-yet-another-gaffe-20160623-gpq1ti?&utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:twi-14omn0055-optim-nnn:nonpaid-27062014-social_traffic-all-organicpost-nnn-afr-o&campaign_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:42 am

Love that Leigh Matthews Called <snip – please refrain from using sexist language> out on 3AW

Saying how she is good Friends with the AFL. As she Bashes Eddie everytime he has a Go at the AFL.

Also when she Writes Crap about people it Destroys them.

She is also Called Eddie a Fossil and Miles behind the Times. When Caro <snip – see above> is way Older.

Poor Caro can't hack she getting attacked but she is happy IF it's the Other Way

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:38 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
This really is a classic example of how good causes can go bad. Domestic violence against women is a real problem and absolutely abhorrent. The major, and deserved, focus on it has however had the unfortunate effect of calibrating the societal hair trigger for outrage far too sensitively and spreading misinformation by exclusion.

Males are a victim of serious violence more often than women. State this simple fact and most people won't believe you given the shocking and oft repeated stats of violence against women. In what way then is it ok to joke about generalised violence against a man (happens all the time with no outrage. Ed's comments could so easily have been made about Robbo given events this year and no one would have cared), but some sort of mortal sin to do so against a woman? The response to Ed's comments are far more sexist, and intentionally so, than anything he said. The worst of his comments were not about drowning but the "black widow" stuff.

There is no obvious sexism at all. Wilson had written an article critical of Ed and he made some stupid comments in response. Isn't the hurtful article motive enough for the comments, what need is there to bring her gender into it? It is this assumption that I find sexist. And there is no link to domestic violence, none. Murder is serious but we joke about killing all the time, use it as a metaphor in sporting contests even. Though in a similar vein to this week, apparently using "rape" in the same way is completely unacceptable. Clearly it's a much more serious crime than murder as most victims are women, there's that sexism again. Just because domestic violence is serious and a real problem does not mean that even harmless jokes of cartoonish violence need to be treated with the same level of severity, just as the same jokes against men are not.

This type of overheated response will weaken the campaign to end violence against women and drive a wedge between the genders. We don't need ads telling men that it's wrong to kill women either, just like women don't need to be told that babies are people to and shouldn't be killed. This is a serious issue and needs to be treated seriously not used for point scoring by special interest groups, politicians or any other public personage, company or sports club.

Very well said. In much of the discourse on these matters, ideology has trumped any sense of perspective. Because the dominant paradigm is now that the primary cause of DV is disrespect towards women – a contentious claim, and one effectively critiqued by writers like Gay Alcorn, Guy Rundle and Helen Razer, among others – then any instance of disrespecting a woman can be claimed to be contributing to our culture of violence against women, and X number of deaths a week, etc. Such a mentality makes proportionality near impossiblee; suddenly, an unedifying joke becomes a cause for instant sacking, boycotts and so on.

A caveat: even if one doesn't sign up to that view, and I don't, I think it's still perfectly worthwhile to call out sexist comments. Say what you like about Caro's journalism, the fact is that a lot of football supporters and personalities don't like the fact that a woman writes critically about what is primarily a man's game. So that sexism infuses some negative commentary about her, and I'd argue that Eddie has taken part in that. So it's right for people to criticise him for what he said and for him to acknowledge it and apologise for it.

There's no place for sexism in football or the public sphere, domestic violence or no domestic violence. But 'disrespecting women' is a separate issue entirely. Women shouldn't be demeaned because of their gender; but neither should they be treated like 'ladies' who are too soft to handle the roughness of day to day interactions between men. We simply cannot have this both ways: chivalry cannot be promoted in a society that's progressed beyond sexism. Any feminist worth their salt will understand this. I fear that this focus on 'disrespecting women' blurs that distinction and risks returning us to a more old-fashioned society – ironically, the exact kind of place where domestic violence flourished.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:04 am

Is this still news? Shocked
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:20 am

didick wrote:
Another hatchet job in the AFR:

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/can-melbourne-powerbroker-eddie-mcguire-survive-yet-another-gaffe-20160623-gpq1ti?&utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:twi-14omn0055-optim-nnn:nonpaid-27062014-social_traffic-all-organicpost-nnn-afr-o&campaign_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter

I didn't see that as a hatchet job at all. Seemed quite mild really & pointed to his strengths as well.

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:52 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
This really is a classic example of how good causes can go bad. Domestic violence against women is a real problem and absolutely abhorrent. The major, and deserved, focus on it has however had the unfortunate effect of calibrating the societal hair trigger for outrage far too sensitively and spreading misinformation by exclusion.

Males are a victim of serious violence more often than women. State this simple fact and most people won't believe you given the shocking and oft repeated stats of violence against women. In what way then is it ok to joke about generalised violence against a man (happens all the time with no outrage. Ed's comments could so easily have been made about Robbo given events this year and no one would have cared), but some sort of mortal sin to do so against a woman? The response to Ed's comments are far more sexist, and intentionally so, than anything he said. The worst of his comments were not about drowning but the "black widow" stuff.

There is no obvious sexism at all. Wilson had written an article critical of Ed and he made some stupid comments in response. Isn't the hurtful article motive enough for the comments, what need is there to bring her gender into it? It is this assumption that I find sexist. And there is no link to domestic violence, none. Murder is serious but we joke about killing all the time, use it as a metaphor in sporting contests even. Though in a similar vein to this week, apparently using "rape" in the same way is completely unacceptable. Clearly it's a much more serious crime than murder as most victims are women, there's that sexism again. Just because domestic violence is serious and a real problem does not mean that even harmless jokes of cartoonish violence need to be treated with the same level of severity, just as the same jokes against men are not.

This type of overheated response will weaken the campaign to end violence against women and drive a wedge between the genders. We don't need ads telling men that it's wrong to kill women either, just like women don't need to be told that babies are people to and shouldn't be killed. This is a serious issue and needs to be treated seriously not used for point scoring by special interest groups, politicians or any other public personage, company or sports club.

This 100% this.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:54 am

People have taken a joke that had nothing to do with violence against women and made Eddie a martyr. What about violence against men and children at the hands of their mothers and wives. I’m a male and have been subject to violence and psychological violence perpetrated by my mother, against myself, my siblings and father. Or do we only consider when men are the perpetrators. We are addressing one side of the issue because it fits the narrative and agenda that is being put forward by certain groups.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:58 am

Culprit wrote:
Is this still news? Shocked
No, it isn't. And, just quietly, it never really was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 68 of 182   

Jump to: