Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great Travis Cloke debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The radio thing is a non issue.

Of course he should say he's sick of playing VFL. If he said he was happy where he is then we've really got problems. He isn't paid what he is to run around Olympic Park and him singling his intentions out to play AFL is only natural and fine by me.

I didn't like hearing him say that he had doubters in the club but not amongst the playing group as the clear insinuation is that it was the coaches who had written him off but Trav is also not the greatest public speaker so maybe he wasn't insinuating anything and was just fluffing his lines somewhat.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:45 pm

it will be interesting to see if he's made to further clarify what he said and put it in a more positive light, as did Pendles last year after saying the last game "didn't really matter".

BTW, as anyone notice that Fox Footy has sort of run with that Pendles comment as a promo. Bucks gives a wry grin when asked the question of "which games don't matter".
58pie 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:48 pm

Bring back Cloke. He won't prove anything playing in the 2's. Bucks allows his favourites to gain form in the Ones. Cloke is a champion and he should be supported. Premiership player and lots more.
Who goes out? Toovey or White can have a rest. Go Pies
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:11 pm

^ White is going nowhere after last weekend. And Cloke is no like for like replacement with Toovey. Buckley probably does have favourites, because we all do. Question is whether his favourites are the right preference. On team form so far, his call on Cloke looks pretty sound (Carlton game aside). I hope Travis gets back. But it is not looking too likely in the short term
58pie 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:33 pm

[quote="Mugwump"]^ White is going nowhere after last weekend. And Cloke is no like for like replacement with Toovey. Buckley probably does have favourites, because we all do. Question is whether his favourites are the right preference. On team form so far, his call on Cloke looks pretty sound (Carlton game aside). I hope Travis gets back. But it is not looking too likely in the short term[/quote]

Jessie can go back Cloke up forward releases Darcy to get number 3 dog. Shit Darcy might kick 7. Would not be happy with just 2 flags b4 I die. Cloke won't be either. Go Pies
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:27 am

Was hoping the penny would drop with Clokey last year, but unfortunately he's gone backwards fast.

The era of the big monster forward is over. Everyone needs to be able spread fast on offence and run hard to track their man on defence. Cloke needed to have dropped 10kg this season, work at outmanoeuvring his opponent with quick movements (like Moore did with that mark he took in the last qtr last week), and jump at the ball. Engaging his man in a wrestle is lazy football. It hardly ever works nowadays anyway.

Although he's got good endurance, he's slow lumbering runner, and finds it hard to get separation on his man. Same reason he can't lay tackles. In general play, his decision-making is not sharp, and he's only good for long-bomb kicks.

I haven't even got onto his kicking yet. His set-shot routine is an abomination, and I'd sack any coach associated with creating it. So what's left? If we can get pick 20 in the ND for him, I'd take it and run.

Harsh? Yes..Clokey's been a great player for us. He also seems like a nice guy. Football mortality approaches very fast for some players however, especially big key forwards. I wish he can turn it around, but if not, then so be it..he'll still be remembered as Collingwood premiership player, and that ain't half bad.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Flashman wrote:

Of course he should say he's sick of playing VFL. If he said he was happy where he is then we've really got problems. He isn't paid what he is to run around Olympic Park and him singling his intentions out to play AFL is only natural and fine by me.

I didn't like hearing him say that he had doubters in the club but not amongst the playing group as the clear insinuation is that it was the coaches who had written him off but Trav is also not the greatest public speaker so maybe he wasn't insinuating anything and was just fluffing his lines somewhat.

Agree, he's never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed.
Jpies 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:58 pm

bally12 wrote:

The era of the big monster forward is over. Everyone needs to be able spread fast on offence and run hard to track their man on defence. Cloke needed to have dropped 10kg this season, work at outmanoeuvring his opponent with quick movements (like Moore did with that mark he took in the last qtr last week), and jump at the ball. Engaging his man in a wrestle is lazy football. It hardly ever works nowadays anyway.

Seems to be working alright for Hawkins. And I'd suggest that the drop in form of Reiwoldt and Pavlich in recent years is pretty much all to do with their age, rather than their role. At their best, either of them would still dominate today's game.

I think the lack of monster forwards is more indicative of the fact that they're genuinely hard to find.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:48 pm

bally12 wrote:
Was hoping the penny would drop with Clokey last year, but unfortunately he's gone backwards fast.

Although he's got good endurance, he's slow lumbering runner, and finds it hard to get separation on his man. Same reason he can't lay tackles. In general play, his decision-making is not sharp, and he's only good for long-bomb kicks.

I haven't even got onto his kicking yet. His set-shot routine is an abomination, and I'd sack any coach associated with creating it. So what's left? If we can get pick 20 in the ND for him, I'd take it and run.

Harsh? Yes..Clokey's been a great player for us. He also seems like a nice guy. Football mortality approaches very fast for some players however, especially big key forwards. I wish he can turn it around, but if not, then so be it..he'll still be remembered as Collingwood premiership player, and that ain't half bad.

yes Luke. correct on all that you said especially about that he can't find separation from his tag and what is taken away from you as forward when that happens.
i suppose its up to the club coaches and more importantly himself now to rejig a more mobile self to win place in the seniors but only if he can do it in the twos, don't bother putting him in the ones until.
if we go down the path of trading him at the end why not try and off load white as well if we going to be serious about it. i know, i know he'd want to be f**king good.

Last edited by simon tonna on Thu May 26, 2016 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:10 pm

The key question here is who goes out?

Cox. No
Reid. No
Moore. No
Grundy. No (unless it is for Witts)
White. No

Cloke would make us top heavy. I suspect injury will see him back in eventually...

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Jpies wrote:
bally12 wrote:

Seems to be working alright for Hawkins. And I'd suggest that the drop in form of Reiwoldt and Pavlich in recent years is pretty much all to do with their age, rather than their role. At their best, either of them would still dominate today's game.

I think the lack of monster forwards is more indicative of the fact that they're genuinely hard to find.

Agree. Still interest in a Boyd or a Patton or a Dixon or a Hogan or a McCartin etc if you can get your hands on them. The rumours of their demise is a tad exagerated
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:52 pm

I actually think big power forwards are coming back into vogue. Lightning fast transition from defence works best when the ball can be kicked long to a big leading forward. We may just have the best one in the making, in Mason 'Doodle' Cox. With Moore and White in good form we suddenly have the 3 pronged big forwards we've been looking for since we lost Dawes and Leroy.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:16 pm

jackcass wrote:
Flashman wrote:

Agree, he's never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed.

i thought the media attack on what cloke said was making a mountain out of a molehole, creating an issue out of nothing. it just felt like they were running out of collingwood content for the week. there was nothing vindictive in what he was trying to say. his articulation of his point was simply clumsy.

reading or reporting about the top placed pauperoos is terribly uninteresting.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:18 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I actually think big power forwards are coming back into vogue. Lightning fast transition from defence works best when the ball can be kicked long to a big leading forward. We may just have the best one in the making, in Mason 'Doodle' Cox. With Moore and White in good form we suddenly have the 3 pronged big forwards we've been looking for since we lost Dawes and Leroy.

as good as cox has been, he's no power forward.

themonk 

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Why the rush to bring Cloke back?

One ok game in the 2's does not suggest he's found form.

If however he consistently kicks goals over the next 2-3 weeks then maybe, but even then it will depend on results by our seniors. We'd be crazy to shuffle a winning or improving combination to accomodate Travis Cloke.

Personally I don't believe Travis will ever return to his form of several years ago and with some luck by this time next year we won't need him. Would love to see that money go back into the war chest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 20 of 52   

Jump to: