Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#46 Mason Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I must say I'm one of those who was very skeptical that 'Doodle' would make it as an AFL player. Given that it normally takes ruckmen 5-7 years to become decent players, I figured that he would be 32 yrs by the time he was good enough to get a game.

I was wrong and I've never been so happy to be oh so wrong. Apart from clunking a couple of good marks and kicking a couple of goals each week, his great positioning has straightened up our whole side. We are playing much more direct football and I credit a lot of that to big Coxy.

So would you be Safe in saying he has eclipsed Shae Mcnamara?

www.facebook/the hybernators
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:26 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Mark my words, the big tall Texan Cox is a future version of our own Paul Salmon, he could well be that good. Hes only known the game for two years, and look at him already, like a duck too water. Bring it on. !

Paul Salmon. I remember when Shane Watson nearly killed him Very Happy

ONLY good thing Watto ever did I reckon. Didn't he break salmons leg at Vic Park, or was that Mick Gayfer, I cant recall. Razz

You might be thinking of the Raines collision that contributed to Salmon's ACL reconstruction in 1984? If memory serves, it was mid-season and Salmon had already kicked over 60 goals?
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Very pleased with his efforts and results so far but let us not get ahead of ourselves. He is new to the game and is showing great promise. He will have good games and poor games. That is the way of AFL. Don't crucify and demand his de-listing the moment he has a couple of poor games. The expectations some put on our players is totally unrealistic.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:51 am

I think Travs kicking problem lies in the fact that the 'lean back' is too exaggerated and crucially, forces him to let go of the pill too far away from his boot. The physics of the ball will ensure the ball moves in the air and will hit his boot at an angle, sometimes the right one - in which case the lean helps him to kick 100 metres, but more often a slightly wrong one which means the ball will go exactly where the angle dictates. When he snaps or kicks on the sprint he's not leaning back as much so is more likely to kick where he wants to. I'm the same height as Trav, and never had trouble hitting targets, but then I couldn't kick 60M either! As you run in the ball is moving at the same speed, but as soon as you let go the speed drops. The more time that passes between letting go and contact the higher up the ball hits your foot, which gets rounder as you go up. More importantly that same passage of time allows the ball to be more affected by any inconsistency in the 'letting go' action. If a finger twitches or a palm moves the effect will be exaggerated...

OMG! I just worked it out!

This is not a joke...
Make him learn the drop kick! Teach him the drop kick! We have Barry Price, the best exponent I ever saw!
I'm NOT suggesting he use it in any games, or even in group training, but if he learned how to perform it, and perform it well (meaning he kicks it 60-70M), he HAS to have a lower ball drop, and he HAS to hit the right part of his instep! There's way more forgiveness with a Drop Punt, you've got probably 2 inches of variation as to where it hits you on the instep. The drop is less forgiving, and you look a right muppet if you fluff one. This is the reason why Macca and then Huddo started using the DP, which was what led to the demise of the drop kick, but the fact is Macca could simply kick straight with anything! That 'hunchback' action of his meant that he was letting go of the pill and making foot contact almost simultaneously. There's no way Cloke could do that, but with the drop... I wouldn’t mind betting it would help, but there's no denying that the greater part of his problem is between the ears.

Turfing out the drop meant that the stab had to go too, and no replacement has been found for it! Imagine Treloar or DeGoey breaking from a pack and snapping one of those on the chest of a leading Moore/Cloke/Faz/etc, no WAY could any back touch it! Wayne Richardson used to leave lace marks in McKenna's chest with the stab!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:49 am

^ you're surely right on that, 35 forever.... I said somewhere else that he should revive the place kick. Hiwever, it is pretty clear frm the comments of Pendles and the coach and Cloke himself in the last few days that the problem is that he has not been following the plan, and not trying hard enough to get himself in the contest. The kicking thing kills us as supporters, but i don't think it is the issue that hangs over his future.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:44 pm
Post subject: IS our Huge Texan Mason,now a cult figure ?Reply with quote

Even though hes only played a handful of games, four I think, I reckon this massive Texan is already a Magpie cult figure, hes been like a breath of fresh air in a somewhat stale season for us.

I reckon hes already a Magpie cult hero. ! Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Mods : merge with the Cox appreciation thread

Mod edit: Done. But a "please" wouldn't go astray next time... Smile

Sorry mods, and thank you.

Cox is probably the only Collingwood player opposition supporters can't hate.

Last edited by What'sinaname on Sat May 28, 2016 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:21 pm

'Doodle' is definitely gaining cult status. The scary thing is he should get, much, much better over the next couple of years.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Gone early, hope you haven't given him the kiss of Death Shocked

Like you PNC, I'm excited by the big guy Cool

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:05 pm

A cult figure suggests that his talents are only appreciated by a few. I hope he is on the way to something more than that. Before last week's game, wHen Chris Scott was asked on 360 what he was worried about, he commented Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar.... But then he said "and they've got this giant who is playing forward and ruck".... The fact that Mason might be on an opposition coach's top 5 worries list says he may be on the way to becoming much, much more than a cult figure. We are not there yet, but at the moment this could be anything. His progress has become one of the great delights of this strange, up-and-down season.

And i agree, mods, please merge with the MC appreciation thread...

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Finally a replacement for Leigh Brown. He's clearly good enough in the ruck to be a part timer and so far has shown just enough to hold down a forward spot. Although we need a revitalised Cloke in our forward line alongside Mason before we can really get serious about this season.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Mugwump wrote:
A cult figure suggests that his talents are only appreciated by a few. I hope he is on the way to something more than that. Before last week's game, wHen Chris Scott was asked on 360 what he was worried about, he commented Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar.... But then he said "and they've got this giant who is playing forward and ruck".... The fact that Mason might be on an opposition coach's top 5 worries list says he may be on the way to becoming much, much more than a cult figure. We are not there yet, but at the moment this could be anything. His progress has become one of the great delights of this strange, up-and-down season.

And i agree, mods, please merge with the MC appreciation thread...

Well summed up. Any bloke of his size is a worry for the opposition. When you combine that with everything else he has going for him he will scare other teams. A modern day Paul Salmon.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Here is a pic of when Mason met MagpieBat

coxbatman.jpg

Getting a cuddle

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Good one, Presti... Smile
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:58 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Finally a replacement for Leigh Brown. He's clearly good enough in the ruck to be a part timer and so far has shown just enough to hold down a forward spot. Although we need a revitalised Cloke in our forward line alongside Mason before we can really get serious about this season.

Exactly. We need Cloke back, and with Mason, this would be awesome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 36 of 178   

Jump to: