Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The forgotten people of Iraq and Syria:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-pigeon-boy-and-other-forgotten-fugitives-from-isis

Quote:
The camp holds some four thousand Internally Displaced People (I.D.P.s), as they’re officially known. Legally, they aren’t refugees—they remain in their home country—but they are often worse off than refugees, who can hope for aid from the countries that take them in, or from the international community. I.D.P.s remain at the mercy of governments at war, receiving limited aid and enduring all the inherent dangers of war zones.

“Access to safety without delay is the major problem faced by I.D.P.s in Iraq, due to constantly shifting warfronts and the need for security screening to prevent infiltration by ISIS,” Bruno Geddo, the representative in Iraq of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, told me. “A related problem is restrictions to freedom of movement and family separation on security grounds.” I.D.P.s are frequently limited in where they are allowed to go; sometimes, they aren’t even allowed to leave the camps. The displaced often become the forgotten people.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:01 am

David wrote:
The forgotten people of Iraq and Syria:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-pigeon-boy-and-other-forgotten-fugitives-from-isis

Even more reason they need to finish the job of kicking ISIL out. Thw whole joint is a bloody mess. Hopefully these people can be the first employed when it is safe to help reconstruct the place because it's odds on there old homes will be rubble and or looted.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:31 pm

UK Equalities Chief Who Popularised The Term ‘Islamophobia’ Admits: ‘I Thought Muslims Would Blend into Britain… I Should Have Known Better’

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/10/thought-europes-muslims-gradually-blend-britains-diverse-landscape-known-better/

Seems even the people who were most 'tolerant' are starting to wake up.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that someone responsible for such a questionable term would end up falling for the next hysteria de jour. I might have a look at that program (Channel 4 are usually good), but I'm tired of having to explain why statistics like those aren't evidence that Muslims can't assimilate.

What percentage of Christians thought homosexuality should be illegal 50 years ago? What percentage now think that laws should be based on Biblical principles? The point is that people's personal views often have little correlation with their ability to participate in civil society. If this were not so, then our societies would be far more fractured than they currently are, Muslims or no Muslims.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:38 am

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/peter-dutton-says-illiterate-and-innumerate-refugees-would-take-australian-jobs-20160517-goxhj1.html

Dutton doesn't want any. Shocked
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:40 am

David wrote:
Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that someone responsible for such a questionable term would end up falling for the next hysteria de jour. I might have a look at that program (Channel 4 are usually good), but I'm tired of having to explain why statistics like those aren't evidence that Muslims can't assimilate.

What percentage of Christians thought homosexuality should be illegal 50 years ago? What percentage now think that laws should be based on Biblical principles? The point is that people's personal views often have little correlation with their ability to participate in civil society. If this were not so, then our societies would be far more fractured than they currently are, Muslims or no Muslims.

Thing is though,you book worms take everything you read as gospel, it doesn't take into account human feelings, idiosyncrasies etc. go and take a look at a hard core Muslim community, they ain't trying to fit in. Take a look around Footscray Main Street, the place has been totally destroyed by immigrant communities pushing out everyone else. It's a fricken terrifying walk down the Main Street now, and I used to work there, I loved the place. You can't take emotion out of it. And how many stories from people who have lived it do you need? The hard core do not want to intergrate, any more than the other hard core whack job religions like the nuts in WACO. Problem being there is a damn sight more of hard core Muslims, and they seem to have a thing for bombs and violence.

And even the mild ones treat half of mankind as second class citizens. Gees if all the Muslim women suddenly got a sex change or became raving lesbians, or pedophiles, you would be all over them like a rash! Poor misunderstood buggers!

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:15 pm

On the one hand we have population A, who live down the road and are apparently uneducated manual laborers of implied ethnic origin who are presumed to have social values dating from the 1950’s and behave horribly because of all of the above.

On the other hand we have population B from somewhere else who have less education in their own or any other language and have cultural attitudes dating to the seventh century, who apparently, are going to be far better behaved and more productive than population A down the road. Even though actual evidence may suggest a slight flaw in the theory.

The absurd thing about regressive progressives is they seemingly believe if you failed to understand population A that you will suddenly succeed with population B.

Some bloke I read about said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Smile

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:32 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Thing is though,you book worms take everything you read as gospel, it doesn't take into account human feelings, idiosyncrasies etc. go and take a look at a hard core Muslim community, they ain't trying to fit in. Take a look around Footscray Main Street, the place has been totally destroyed by immigrant communities pushing out everyone else. It's a fricken terrifying walk down the Main Street now, and I used to work there, I loved the place. You can't take emotion out of it. And how many stories from people who have lived it do you need? The hard core do not want to intergrate, any more than the other hard core whack job religions like the nuts in WACO. Problem being there is a damn sight more of hard core Muslims, and they seem to have a thing for bombs and violence.

And even the mild ones treat half of mankind as second class citizens. Gees if all the Muslim women suddenly got a sex change or became raving lesbians, or pedophiles, you would be all over them like a rash! Poor misunderstood buggers!

1) How do you know some/most/all Muslims in Footscray are not trying to fit in? How many have you spoken to in depth about these issues, or what have you witnessed to convince you otherwise?
2) How has the street in Footscray been destroyed?
3) What makes the walk terrifying?

I don't even know where to start on your offensive final paragraph, but can you at least explain your insinuation that I don't care about the rights of female Muslims?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:05 pm

I didn't say Muslims destroyed Footscray, I said immigrants, what makes it scary? The gangs, the obvious druggies, the last part, you stick up for muslim culture, yet that culture is so anti female it's not funny
But yeah I overreacted, sorry, wasn't feeling well this morning, cheers

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:02 pm

No worries. I presumed you were talking about Muslims because you were referring to them at the beginning of the post and seemed to be using Footscray as an example of their non-assimilation.

The change in conditions in Footscray (if there has been one, I wouldn't know) is probably more to do with the socioeconomic changes in population than immigration per se. I blame inner-city and affluent area local councils (like the one that I'm in) for taking such a NIMBY stance and forcing high density housing and new immigrants, people in need of crisis accommodation, etc. out into the western and outer suburbs. Just the other day I saw a sign on a Hampton house protesting 'inappropriate development' (I wonder what that could be code for, not); clearly, no-one in Craigieburn is going to be waging a successful campaign against the latest high rise being built there instead because the poor dears in Bayside don't want their historic street spoiled. Rolling Eyes

As for Muslims, I actually oppose a lot of things about conservative Muslim culture and hope that the next few generations are more progressive (and as much as the anti-Islam brigade will insist that this can never happen; the fact is that social progress within majority Muslim cultures is happening and has been happening for a long time now). I don't think much of the way women are treated in orthodox Judaism either, for that matter, and even the good old Tibetan Buddhists still hold some alarmingly backward views about gender. But I do believe in religious freedom, so I don't think it's right to enforce my cultural preferences on others so long as people are abiding by the law of the land.

Look at it from another angle: most Aussie blokes would be taking up arms if some feminist government started forcing them to adopt absolute gender equality in every aspect of their lives. Basically, this isn't North Korea, and you have to expect a bit of variation in views and behaviours – it's not that I particularly like all those views, it's just that I don't want to see them clamped down upon if the overall costs outweigh the benefits.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:13 pm

David wrote:
No worries. I presumed you were talking about Muslims because you were referring to them at the beginning of the post and seemed to be using Footscray as an example of their non-assimilation.

The change in conditions in Footscray (if there has been one, I wouldn't know) is probably more to do with the socioeconomic changes in population than immigration per se. I blame inner-city and affluent area local councils (like the one that I'm in) for taking such a NIMBY stance and forcing high density housing and new immigrants, people in need of crisis accommodation, etc. out into the western and outer suburbs. Just the other day I saw a sign on a Hampton house protesting 'inappropriate development' (I wonder what that could be code for, not); clearly, no-one in Craigieburn is going to be waging a successful campaign against the latest high rise being built there instead because the poor dears in Bayside don't want their historic street spoiled. Rolling Eyes

As for Muslims, I actually oppose a lot of things about conservative Muslim culture and hope that the next few generations are more progressive (and as much as the anti-Islam brigade will insist that this can never happen; the fact is that social progress within majority Muslim cultures is happening and has been happening for a long time now). I don't think much of the way women are treated in orthodox Judaism either, for that matter, and even the good old Tibetan Buddhists still hold some alarmingly backward views about gender. But I do believe in religious freedom, so I don't think it's right to enforce my cultural preferences on others so long as people are abiding by the law of the land.

Fair enough, and now I'm really really sorry! Cheers, great post xx

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:42 pm

All good. Smile
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:30 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OwV-zfbHoY

A very interesting (old, I know) video on immigration.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:36 am

Here's a good rebuttal to that video:

http://openborders.info/blog/roy-beck-unwittingly-makes-the-case-for-open-borders/

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Police arrest 900 Syrians in England and Wales for crimes including rape and child abuse

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/695066/Police-arrest-900-Syrians-in-England-and-Wales-for-rape-death-threats-and-child-abuse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 54 of 74   

Jump to: