Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor to turn back the boats.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The article seemed a little preachy to me, but hey it's an opinion piece and will appeal to people who already share similar opinions.

Regarding boat people, I'll make an exception. These 5 dickwads should have been let get on the boat.

Quote:
A CAIRNS magistrate has approved the extradition of all five men accused of trying to travel by boat to Indonesia so they could join Islamic State in Syria.
The men will be extradited to Melbourne after facing court in far north Queensland today.
The five men are facing life in jail after being charged with terror offences.
The men, including Islamic preacher Musa Cerantonio, were charged late on Saturday night after spending five days in custody following their arrest near Cairns towing a seven-metre fishing boat en route to Cape York in far North Queensland.
The faced Cairns magistrates court on Monday, when officers from the Australian Federal Police’s joint counter terrorism teams argued that they should be extradited to Melbourne.
The men were remanded in custody and will appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday.
The men, who are all from Melbourne and aged between 21 and 31, have each been charged with one count of making preparations for incursions into foreign countries to engage in hostile activities.
They face a maximum penalty of life in jail if found guilty. Attorney-General George Brandis confirmed on Sunday that each of the men had had their passports cancelled several months ago by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop.
“These people had been under surveillance for quite some time — that’s the reason their passports were cancelled because they had been under surveillance and their intentions to travel to the Middle East to engage in terrorist war fighting were known to the authorities,” he told reporters in Brisbane.
“When it became clear to them that they wouldn’t be able to leave the country in an orthodox way, they remained under surveillance so that if they attempted to leave the country in this very unusual way they would be able to be stopped and they were.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/five-men-accused-of-tinnie-terror-plan-face-life-in-jail/news-story/d873a4a75f4848a39814949d87bd88f3

Let em get in the boat. They either die in the boat or they join ISIS and die there. I don't see any point keeping people in the country who plainly want out. Let em leave and stay out.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Stui, this should probably be a separate thread. FWIW, I consider it to be very important that Australian citizens understand that wandering off to fight in a foreign war is, generally speaking, unacceptable, seriously illegal, warranting serious criminal sanctions and unlikely to give them a serious opportunity at martyrdom. They should certainly be prosecuted here.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:11 pm

I'm pretty sure David would be happy to split it off Wink

I am intrigued by you view on this though. I was being flippant to a degree but I do tend believe that locking these numbats up is only going to send the message to similarly disaffected people to just stay here and undertake their terrorist activities here. I'd rather they piss off to Syria on a 1 way ticket.

Are you being absolute in your statement about fighting in foreign wars or is their dispensation if they're fighting on a side that we may support even if we're not involved?

One examples that comes to mind, if the conflicts in Israel escalated and people wanted to leave here to go fight, does it matter which side they want to fight for?

As Israel is an ally of ours (to a degree). I'd say yes but I'm interested in your thoughts.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:14 pm

I thought you were. But I wasn't completely sure about flippant to a degree but he or she do tend believe that locking these numbats up is going to send the message to disaffected people to stay here and undertake their terrorist activities here.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:11 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
I wrote this for New Matilda, anyhow:

https://newmatilda.com/2016/05/16/refugees-are-not-your-trolley-problem/

what if that single worker was your son?

I'd be seriously concerned about how child labour laws were being applied. Wink

Seriously though, I'm sure there are variants on the trolley problem where you have to choose between a family member and five strangers, etc. It seems a bit of a red herring to me as the ethics of the situation don't really change – you're now just working from a position of self-interest and of course you'll probably do anything to save your son. Whether that's the ideal ethical response is another question.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:33 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Seriously though, I'm sure there are variants on the trolley problem where you have to choose between a family member and five strangers, etc. It seems a bit of a red herring to me as the ethics of the situation don't really change – you're now just working from a position of self-interest and of course you'll probably do anything to save your son. Whether that's the ideal ethical response is another question.

Yeah I saw it on Oprah years ago

And I'd still save my daughter first!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:35 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Yeah I saw it on Oprah years ago

And I'd still save my daughter first!

What if Junior was the one on her own and the 5 included Hubby, your other daughter, juniors douche ex BF, your Dad and one of your sisters? Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 pm

I'd save junior then be a hero rescuing the other daughter even if it killed me, hubbies policy is paid up, which sister is it?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:22 pm

The one you don't like. Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The one you don't like. Wink

Ha, too easy then!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12   

Jump to: