Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hope the club has this in hand. If the boys start performing like top picks, they'll surely get calf soreness later in the season.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:37 pm

dalyc wrote:
I'm hope the club has this in hand. If the boys start performing like top picks, they'll surely get calf soreness later in the season.

This new father-son bidding system is annoying, isn't it? We want these players to be good but not until after the bidding process! Bring back the days when we could get a Cloke or an Ablett for a third round pick and build a great side because of it.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I guess if we need to find a trade or 2 to get some picks Thomas may be available as we seem to have several like for like
Another who comes to mind is Marley as we have several HBF most have better skills than him. Can't see us trading away Cloke or Witts really nor can I see us giving up Keefe 200+ cm KPP don't grow on trees and if he played CHB would free up Reid to play CHF or Keefe could play FB at a pinch Reid at CHB if Brown was injured.
I just couldn't or wouldn't want to see either at another club. Both are small but both are skilful something we could do with especially Josh who is apparently a good goal sneak and crumber

Of course we could trade Witts. We tried to do it last year and only kept him because he was adamant about staying. Now that Cox looks to be coming on it becomes even more likely that he'd be traded. If we feel Cox is the goods then we pretty much have to trade Witts unless he has an outstanding year. Stockpiling three promising rucks is a bit of a waste if we can improve other areas by a trade.

Cloke is a different story, we don't yet have one replacement for him let alone two. Only way a trade happens there is if we can find a quality ready made and young KPP in return. Like hen's teeth they are.

Either way it looks as if Brown and Daicos won't be attracting early picks, so it's not likely we'll need to do much trading to secure them. I doubt either is worth a Cloke or Wiits, that's for sure.

Good points Inky but would you consider trading someone like Keefe or Thomas or Williams to secure picks or use as trade bait to get back inside the top 10 -12 to see if we can't land a decent young tall ?
For mine he have an over abundance of HBF adding Scharenberg into th mix might allow us to trade say a Williams & Thomas. I wonder how much off the pace both Keefe and Thomas might be after 2yrs out but both are young so times on there side
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Keeffe's a very useful asset. A giant at 204cm who can play both ends and has good foot skills. He's had two years to work on his main weakness: strength. If he comes back with a decent amount of extra muscle he could be very handy. After sticking with him through two years of suspension, we won't be trading him unless he stinks it up on return.

Thomas could be decent depth, but he was always a fringe player, two years out won't have helped that. At the trade table he wouldn't have a lot of value so he's probably worth more to keep.

We could trade a half back if we needed to. It's not something we need to do though, because the game is made up of runners now, those runners can be on half back or in the midfield and you need a lot of them.

In going after Brown and/or Daicos, I think it's unlikely we'd need to or want to trade players who are part of our established 22 like Williams. That takes us backwards and we've done enough of that over the last few years. If we traded established players we'd look for one in return. For Daics or Brown we'd trade a second rounder from next year if we had to or players near the bottom of our list. That's assuming their stocks don't rise massively in the next few months. If they do (I don't think there's much chance given their size) we're in a very difficult situation, because trading out established players for rookies is not a good move at this point.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Keeffe's a very useful asset. A giant at 204cm who can play both ends and has good foot skills. He's had two years to work on his main weakness: strength. If he comes back with a decent amount of extra muscle he could be very handy. After sticking with him through two years of suspension, we won't be trading him unless he stinks it up on return.

Thomas could be decent depth, but he was always a fringe player, two years out won't have helped that. At the trade table he wouldn't have a lot of value so he's probably worth more to keep.

We could trade a half back if we needed to. It's not something we need to do though, because the game is made up of runners now, those runners can be on half back or in the midfield and you need a lot of them.

In going after Brown and/or Daicos, I think it's unlikely we'd need to or want to trade players who are part of our established 22 like Williams. That takes us backwards and we've done enough of that over the last few years. If we traded established players we'd look for one in return. For Daics or Brown we'd trade a second rounder from next year if we had to or players near the bottom of our list. That's assuming their stocks don't rise massively in the next few months. If they do (I don't think there's much chance given their size) we're in a very difficult situation, because trading out established players for rookies is not a good move at this point.

Again Inky all good points. I was playing devils advocate some what. We are short on pure runners like the Smiths & Hills
Thomas to me is obsolete to our needs. He's neither quick nor overly skilful and wouldn't command much at the draft table other than depth to a club but might get us a late 2nd rd or 3rd rd pick which may come in handy to ensure we get both Brown & Daicos
This forum would go into melt down if we didn't draft both these kids (providing they show enough that they are AFL chances with further development)
Keefe is interesting for mine. His body has been a issue. 204cm players don't grow on trees. We have already invested time into developing him and he can play either end but so can Reid so having 2 swing man could be very handy and actually makes Brown's position in terms of bargaining power (he's off contact) not as powerful
Will be interesting to see which way we go
We need speed to compliment Varcoe and Sidey. If Swanny doesn't play on we have enough mids and will have cap space to go after someone
Also Cloke has triggered a 5th season but the money will be half according to news reports so again that's around $400k more cap space.
If we can some how find a way to get into a position to grab a first round pick inside the top 10 (knowing our first pick goes to GWS) and go after the most skilful and quickest player left like a Jarrod Berry or Andrew McGrath or Jonty Scharenberg (Matts younger brother)
All have above average skills and line busting turns of speed. Any of those 3 would be great. I'm a big rap on Berry a big body courageous rebounding HB and sensational intercept mark. Young Scharenberg is very interesting as well similar to his brother but is quicker and has elite endurance and is a ball winner. Noted tackler as well
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:44 am

I'd trade Williams in a heartbeat for anything useful - but I doubt that he'd bring much in the way of bids.

I don't understand at all why people on here accepted that Heater could be traded and openly contemplate trading one of the best KPFs to play for the Club for a stale packet of potato chips, yet struggle to contemplate parting with a fast, one-sided under-skilled player because he's "best 22".

Keeffe's absence has been very damaging. I don't know what I think about keeping him and Thomas, save that, so far, they've been part of the problem, rather than part of the solution. We do need quality, experienced KPPs, though. Brown and Reid need back-up and, forward of centre, we have one (is it uncontroversial to at least describe him as?) moderately well-performed KPF - he's in the seconds, so there's obviously a "position vacant" sign hanging out for any established quality player who can grab a few marks and kick a few goals. That sign has been up since Dawes got injured 5 seasons ago and, so far, none of the successful applicants has been able to perform to the required standard.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^

Any trade for Williams would have to be for a similarly established player was my point. That goes for any player getting regular games (Cloke as well). Trading for a draft pick isn't worthwhile at this stage of our development. The Shaw trade fit in very well with our rebuild/regeneration.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I'd trade Williams in a heartbeat for anything useful - but I doubt that he'd bring much in the way of bids.

I don't understand at all why people on here accepted that Heater could be traded and openly contemplate trading one of the best KPFs to play for the Club for a stale packet of potato chips, yet struggle to contemplate parting with a fast, one-sided under-skilled player because he's "best 22".

Keeffe's absence has been very damaging. I don't know what I think about keeping him and Thomas, save that, so far, they've been part of the problem, rather than part of the solution. We do need quality, experienced KPPs, though. Brown and Reid need back-up and, forward of centre, we have one (is it uncontroversial to at least describe him as?) moderately well-performed KPF - he's in the seconds, so there's obviously a "position vacant" sign hanging out for any established quality player who can grab a few marks and kick a few goals. That sign has been up since Dawes got injured 5 seasons ago and, so far, none of the successful applicants has been able to perform to the required standard.

Any trade for Williams would have to be for a similarly established player was my point. That goes for any player getting regular games (Cloke as well). Trading for a draft pick isn't worthwhile at this stage of our development. The Shaw trade fit in very well with our rebuild/regeneration.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:16 am

Oh. What about after its done?
duke750 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:55 am

It's interesting that our backline has 4 left footers who are all effectively one-sided and exposed when caught on their right foot. Reid doesn't appear to be too much of a liability, and Brown is marginal. Now that Toovey has lost a bit of pace he can look really lost on his wrong side. Williams has had a good couple of seasons where his pace and mongrel served him well, but he has lost some edge and from what I've seen this year he gets caught too often in no mans land.

I have said previously that Toovey, as a premiership player, should become a mentor for young players in the VFL. If Keefe comes back OK Brown might need to play that role at the club too.

Williams becomes redundant if some of the younger running backs develop as they should, including Sharenberg.

Like most people on this forum I will be really disappointed if a young Daicos or Brown ends up at another club; even more so if they turn into good footballers. However, I strongly believe that our recruiting focus must be on a young, strong KPF to help set up a potent forward line that will serve us for a number of years.

On the March 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Our recruiters would have known these guys were coming, had a fair idea of their worth and planned accordingly Smile
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Josh Daicos Broke his Hand and is out for at least 6 weeks
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:24 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Who let our fitness and medical staff go to the TAC game?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:28 pm

jackcass wrote:
^

This could be good news.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:00 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

the kid is definitely a magpie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 19 of 39   

Jump to: