Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What action can we as fans take re. injuries?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

bally12 wrote:
Hypothetical:

What if Collingwood's issues weren't at all related to Buckley's coaching, game-plan, player talent, internal rifts, or management at the Board level.

What if predominantly our problem is a disastrous fitness program.
Let's look at the evidence for the latter:

- During Davoren's time at the Pies, his 2 yrs have resulted in an almost identical dramatic performance slide in the second half of the season, after an 8-3 start.

- Our players look undeniably weaker than opposition players. When Davoren spoke at one of the end-of-year forums, he mentioned that he will move away from a weight-based strengthening program to one more "functional based". He didn't go into further details on what this means.

- Together with Richmond, our players seem like they don't have the running power to play fast-break football. This is despite Buckley emphasing from 2 yrs ago that he plans to implement a fast transition team.
It's important to note Davoren was a triathlon coach. Nothing explosive/anaerobic or any stop/start aspects with that sport.

- Decimation of our playing list due to injuries, including one (Freeman) who left the club in desperation, as a result of perceived mis-management by the fitness staff. This is a quite extraordinary situation.
Ben Kennedy when interviewed made mention that he feels he has never felt fitter or stronger after a preseason with Melbourne.

Other notable soft-tissue injuries in the last 2 yrs have included:
Marsh - severe hamstring tear, now recurring
Moore - significant hamstring tear, seems to have recovered well (touch wood).
Elliott - hamstring, now back.
Toovey - hamstring.
Reid - recurring calf, hamstring.
Sinclair - recurring hamstring.
Swan - hamstring (first ever in his life in 2014).
Clinton Young - recurring hamstring, career cut short.
Varcoe - hamstring.

Although the cause of ACL injuries is debatable, there are certainly preventative measures recommended by many medical experts. Most revolve around leg strength (includes plyometric training) and landing technique (bent knee, landing on your toes/midfoot to absorb impact). There's also a theory that muscle fatigue can be a contributor to this injury, as the muscles cannot absorb enough of the shock, loading the ACL joint. Recent ACL's:
Scharenberg
Ramsay
McCaffer

Before the usual suspects on here gang up and start flaming, I cannot claim that any of the above thoerising is accurate as I am not privy to any details relating to the Pies' training program. I"m just suggesting on the external evidence available, that possibly the fitness program needs some scrutiny and may be contributing to players' injuries and performance. It will also be interesting to see if at year's end Davoren's contract is extended. I know where my money will be on this one.

Lastly, if I see that Seedsman is able to put on any bit of muscle at Adelaide (after about 5yrs trying to do so at the Pies), I'll go nuts. Happy to say that as of last week, nothing has changed on this front.

One of the reasons Collingwood and Richmond appear slow and unable to keep up is because their kicking is a disaster. St. Kilda shredded us not with their leg speed, but with a spread offense buyilt around a precise passing game that used the entire field of play.

its an oddity of the game that the team that wins and possesses the football the longest, always appear to be the quicker and fitter team.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:57 am

This is true.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:38 am

Lazza wrote:
mudlark wrote:
This is seriously the biggest heap of horse shite of a post I have ever seen on this site.REALLY??? let's jump up and down and hold our breath because Dane Swan broke his friggin' leg? Ramsey did his knee?? Williams did an ankle?? Howe broke his finger as well as Goldsack.Elliot hurt his back.Get outta here.Fair dinkum . Sad

Injuries ONLY ever happen at Collingwood though........... Sad Crying or Very sad Confused

Ask Footscray how things are going!! Ask Freo how their injury toll is going. That's another 2 and I'm sure whorethorn would like Roughead back . I think Port have a 1/2 dozen 1st 18 out .It's a contact sport and injuries happen.I think at present we have 1(ONE) soft tissue injury and the rest are broken bones and knees.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:39 am

mosig wrote:
Take a look at Gold Coast if you want to make yourself feel better
And this one as well.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:44 am

mosig wrote:
Take a look at Gold Coast if you want to make yourself feel better

freo's list is in a more parlous state than gcs.

http://www.afl.com.au/injury-list

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:45 pm

We did have a spike in injuries a couple of years ago. The club said part of this was due to moving to a more intense aerobic program.

Last year we were around league average for injuries. I can't agree that we've been decimated this year either and most have clearly been poor luck rather than management. I don't think the numbers support the theory that our fitness team is a joke.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:50 pm

To address the OP question… what can we fans do re injuries?

Well the 'soft' fans can do nothing but complain - the 'hard' supporters would instead become part of the solution - by donating body parts! This is the kind of dedication needed to address this crisis at the club!

Last edited by yin-YANG on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:50 pm

^ Oh dear - my first Hiss moment - I must be getting older Sad
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:54 pm

yin-YANG wrote:

Well the 'soft' fans can do nothing but complain - the 'hard' supporters would instead become part of the solution - by donating body parts! This is the kind of dedication needed to address this crisis at the club!

I think we should start with about 10-12 left feet - It seems most of the players don't have them.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:05 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
We did have a spike in injuries a couple of years ago. The club said part of this was due to moving to a more intense aerobic program.

Last year we were around league average for injuries. I can't agree that we've been decimated this year either and most have clearly been poor luck rather than management. I don't think the numbers support the theory that our fitness team is a joke.

with a view to counter the new interchange cap and resultant capacity to need to be able to run all game.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:33 pm

mudlark wrote:
Lazza wrote:
mudlark wrote:
This is seriously the biggest heap of horse shite of a post I have ever seen on this site.REALLY??? let's jump up and down and hold our breath because Dane Swan broke his friggin' leg? Ramsey did his knee?? Williams did an ankle?? Howe broke his finger as well as Goldsack.Elliot hurt his back.Get outta here.Fair dinkum . Sad

Injuries ONLY ever happen at Collingwood though........... Sad Crying or Very sad Confused

Ask Footscray how things are going!! Ask Freo how their injury toll is going. That's another 2 and I'm sure whorethorn would like Roughead back . I think Port have a 1/2 dozen 1st 18 out .It's a contact sport and injuries happen.I think at present we have 1(ONE) soft tissue injury and the rest are broken bones and knees.

I was being totally sarcastic....... Cool

Agree with everything you posted.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Blame culture. Stinks.

I believe that since the club is run like a business that we would be only ticking off on things that are positive for our bottom line. Protection of our most valuable assets would be #1. I just trust our club's leadership to not be complete idiots.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:31 am

Lazza wrote:
mudlark wrote:
Lazza wrote:
mudlark wrote:

I was being totally sarcastic....... Cool
I wasn't having a go at you Laz.Just pointing out to a few numpty that injuries abound in ALL clubs and we are in the mix so to speak.

Agree with everything you posted.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:40 am

yin-YANG wrote:

I would have thought buying body parts would have been on the top of Eddie's lists of things to do. I think that's another strike against the Ed man.

I mean, what's the point of all that money at the club if you cannot spend a bit of it on some body parts from a black market overseas?

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:01 pm

This insane injury situation is down to a certain Mr. N Buckley.
After 2 years of being rendered out of contention due to mile long injury lists I bitched and bawled and yelled the house down.
No, I was told, it's just bad luck!!!
So we go again, and again we have the longest injury list and couldn’t compete. Still no action! "But it better not happen again" they said!
It happened again!
Oh, that was different! that was coz of all the losing we were doing!!!
Now iit’s the fifth year, and we are the ONLY side to have a dozen guys injured, 3 for the season, 2 long term (which means 'season' in "Bullshitter Balme" speak)

We have the LONGEST injury list, yet AGAIN!!!
We have the most long term/season injuries yet AGAIN!!!
We have the most "first 22" players out AGAIN!!!

Just this week, we lose Varcoe and Taylor, two of our best 6. This means we have zero chance against West Coast. With our best 22 and The confidence we found last week we BEAT Wet Toast, even at home, but with the leftovers we have, we're basically Essendon and just don't have the cattle. Put Swan, Varcs, and TA in that side and we're a damn good chance, in fact I'd pick us. As it is it would be foolish. If Buckley and his team can't EVER get us close to our best 22 (and we haven't fielded that 22 ONCE during his looooooooooong tenure), he surely has to go!? But why didn’t it happen 3 years ago?
Why are we incapable of learning from our vast clusterf**ks???

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: