Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies trounced by Saints. All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Do we over-rate our recruits before we see them produce elite football in Collingwood colours, or what?

Wasn't totally convinced about Treloar prior to trading for him but you cannot deny his performances at GWS. Stats say the kid is at a minimum borderline elite, Judd like at the same age.

We just need to allow him time to settle into the new team and environment before we start to assess his value to the Pies.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:49 pm

^^^ I don't disagree with any of that, generally - I'd just like people to think carefully before they push the "elite" button. It places so much expectation on the players concerned.

I think it's fair to say, at the same time, that whilst Treloar may have Judd-like stats, he doesn't (yet) do the damage Judd did at the same age. I'm thinking, eg, of a miserable day at Docklands in 2003 when the game was over before quarter-time because Judd dominated the clearances for West Coast so much that we didn't see which way they went. He only had 15 disposals that day but, at least in the early part of the game, they all seemed to create goals: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2003/041820030517.html

The same point is one I have made in jest about Tommy Langdon - personally, I think he's a very fine player but the statistical comparisons which show that Tommy gets more of the ball on average than Daics did doesn't make Tommy the better player (and there are some out there who will say that he might never reach such heights Wink).
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ I don't disagree with any of that, generally - I'd just like people to think carefully before they push the "elite" button. It places so much expectation on the players concerned.

I think it's fair to say, at the same time, that whilst Treloar may have Judd-like stats, he doesn't (yet) do the damage Judd did at the same age. I'm thinking, eg, of a miserable day at Docklands in 2003 when the game was over before quarter-time because Judd dominated the clearances for West Coast so much that we didn't see which way they went. He only had 15 disposals that day but, at least in the early part of the game, they all seemed to create goals: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2003/041820030517.html

The same point is one I have made in jest about Tommy Langdon - personally, I think he's a very fine player but the statistical comparisons which show that Tommy gets more of the ball on average than Daics did doesn't make Tommy the better player (and there are some out there who will say that he might never reach such heights Wink).

Know what you mean, it's the euphoria over Moore that gets up my nose. Kid is a fantastic prospect but not yet performing at AFL level for more than a very occasional cameo yet he's a star. Don't see why we need to rush these things.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Pretty much; Judd was exceptional at a very young age....if thats elite, Treloar is not elite, but I still hold high hopes, just feel we may have paid overs...

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Collingwood's brilliant effort to keep with St Kilda for a half last week is being thrown into sharp relief with St Kilda heading Hawthorn on the scoreboard and in all key statistics leading into half-time in their game today. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16   

Jump to: