Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Poaching Hogan. Can it be done?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

piester wrote:
It is not even about the salary cap room. We don't have a first round draft pick next year to use as part of any deal which would mean we would have to consider trading out a gun (or potential gun) as part of any deal. Hogan is the player Melbourne are building their team around for the next 10 years and they are not going to give him up and will throw any amount he wants at him to retain him.

True, I never thought of that. Considering we would have to trade for him and wouldn't have the picks to get close to satisfying Melb. I guess this also means we wouldn't be able to satisfy GC for the services of Jaeger O'Meara either?

Still, I think Collingwood could offer Hogan more than Melbourne can, in terms of money and future success.

For interest sake, would this get it done? Sidebottom, Broomhead and whatever our first pick would be?

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:46 am

Even if he was interested in coming to us I doubt we'd be able to satisfy Melbourne in a trade without offloading a young star in the making.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:56 am

Dees would be crazy to trade him - this is the kind of player you can build a team around. They need him desperately and he will be the face of the Dees over the next few years.

No Chance.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:08 am

So far we have passed on McCarthy, Dixon, Weidemann, Franklin and Clark and given up Dawes and Anthony.

Not much luck in the full forward department.

if you buy a full forward you have give up heaps to get him, either draft choices or young stars.

The trick is to find someone who is down the pecking order, such as those at North Melbourne or Port (the amazing, inaccurate and aptly named John Butcher) or draft someone like Moore. Instead of chasing young stars, go for the cheap option.

Another option is to get another centre half back, and move Reid to full forward.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:41 am

One tall forward (Moore) and resting/rotating ruckman (Grundy/Witts) seems tall enough already in the modern game. Or future collingwood forward line.

I would have Pendles in there also in his twilight years because he has good height, hands and an accurate kick for goal.

With other marking options such as Howe or even Caff over the next few years I am not sure we need to worry about extra big guys. Surely the days of bombing long to the forward line are gone for genuine premiership contenders! All you need to do is compete in the air and have the crumbers on the ground ready to go.

That is the real gap at our club atm - a genuine forward crumber with x-factor like Kraks, Leon, Dids or even Daicos.

I am hoping Broomhead, Varcoe and DeGoey offer more X-factor up forward when given the chance and Elliott or Faz or both deliver on their super potential!!!

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:09 pm

Agree with a lot of what has been said above. I think we could look to snag a big name KPF / free agent at the end of this year, as the heir apparent for Cloke. Or... If we were to say, grab a Michael Hurley type at the end of his year (no idea of his contract situation) and push Reid forward, we'd also be looking v good for the near future, and would soon become a major flag favourite.

Whilst for this year... with Howe injured atm, AND after witnessing a dominant display at training... We could throw Grundy forward, whilst Witts (or Cox) handle the bulk of the rucking duties, and could have a v handy forward combination of:

Fasolo Cloke Elliott
Grundy Moore Broomhead

... which gives you your crumber, three imposing Talls, and two strong marking, HF flankers that can either kick or set up bags of goals.

We'd still need to replace Cloke in the not too distant future, but similarly if Brown, Frost and Marsh develop into a solid backline combination, Reid could still be that guy, without having to venture to the trade table.

All big if's, but the more I look at our list, the more I think we can challenge for the flag sooner rather than later if things click for us.

We've got he talent, we just need some luck with injuries, and the sbove players to either develop and fulfill their potential, or hold on and maintain peak form for as long as possible.

Come on season 2016... Go Pies!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:11 pm

If Hogan is available, we'd have to be stupid not to sound him out but I'd be careful about throwing all the egss in one basket, we've seen with Cloke what happens when mids get too focused on one key forward demanding the ball to the detriment of others.

Multiple options and avenues to goal is the key. Moore is a keeper and will be a key forward for the next 10 years, Cloke has 3-5 to go so we aren't desperate yet.

Cox could be a handful as a key deep forward, he's fricken quick and if he can mark on the lead with his arms at full stretch there isn't a defender in the league who could legally spoil him. Apart from the resting Witts and Grundy we've also got gault and the basketballer with the bogan first name as potential tall options, Fasolo and Caff who can both play as undersized leading FF's, Reid who can be thrown forward if required.

We have got plenty of forward options, it just depends on how they play as a unit and how the midfield delivers to them.

I also would like a lightening quick over short bursts) small crumber who can grab the ball from a contest, accelerate away and pick a goal from nothing. You could have timed Krak with a sundial over 200m but in close over the first 5 metres he was slippery as a greased eel and could read the play like a billboard.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:16 pm

You want only one?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:47 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I'll bet $100 that there's a report of his name being associated with Collingwood, regardless of whether we have any interest or not.

Be a Safe Bet Wink

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I'll bet $100 that there's a report of his name being associated with Collingwood, regardless of whether we have any interest or not.

Be a Safe Bet Wink

I'll put $100 on him being linked to the Hawks as a smokey... That one gets almost as much mileage as Collingwood these days, except that in some cases it's true...
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:10 am

Has officially put off contract talks until seasons end. Although they are saying it's because of the new payment agreement or higher salary cap.

Still, it's interesting.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:26 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

I would not take that wager at 100 to 1. It is a dead set certainty that Hogan and Collingwood will be mentioned in the same sentence numerous times until the deal is done.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:20 pm

What Melbourne really need is Travis Cloke ...
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Has officially put off contract talks until seasons end. Although they are saying it's because of the new payment agreement or higher salary cap.

Still, it's interesting.

They also said in the same article that he is REALLY well and truly committed to playing at Melbourne. So this is a stone dead issue I reckon. Waste of time discussing implausible speculation.. Rolling Eyes

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:19 pm

jackcass wrote:
piester wrote:
It is not even about the salary cap room. We don't have a first round draft pick next year to use as part of any deal which would mean we would have to consider trading out a gun (or potential gun) as part of any deal. Hogan is the player Melbourne are building their team around for the next 10 years and they are not going to give him up and will throw any amount he wants at him to retain him.

Doubt he'll be going anywhere but this would be the key issue we'd have. Dees would quite rightly expect 2x first round picks and we just can't satisfy them in that regard, currently don't even have 1.

Well Hogan is contracted until end of season 2017, so we would have 1 first round draft pick by then and could be able to trade for another. Additionally Cloke's contract shall be downgraded by 40-50% by then. Still less likely than likely but stars could align... If someone said to me 2 years ago we would have secured:

* Adams
* Treloar
* Greenwood
* Crisp
* Varcoe
* Howe
* Aish

from other clubs I would have called them delusional!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: