Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 649, 650, 651 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Bro. Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:23 pm

This sort of fits in this thread and the pisses me off thread, but I'll put it here.

Long day today being on site for the big move.

Everything going well at first, out there by 8am, all the plastic packing crates out by 9:30 then the lift shit itself. Mad

Now this move was a special, moving two groups simultaneously. swapping areas. Two loads of trucks and removalists, each start on one site, load up, go to the other site and unload. So it wasn't just moving us out to our new place, it was moving the people out of where we're going into the place we were vacating. And the lift shit itself. Mad

So about 10, I went to my new site with the truck full of crates behind me and left the manager of the group moving into my old site to take care of things there.

Tech called, lift motor farked, needs a part, might be able to get it Monday. Frikken ripper. Rolling Eyes Murphy you bastard.

So I supervise the unloading of all the crates, then go about pulling off all the desktop shelf unit in one department and stacking them down the back. That worked up a sweat and gave the back a work out, some of those things are heavy.

Then I go to set up my laptop. Got connectivity, tick. Can access all the key systems the staff will need on Monday, Tick. Beauty.

Then the first IT guy arrives bout midday, expecting to see all the computer gear ready to set up.

The next 4 hours go slow, the IT guy uses my laptop to start configuring the network for the new phones, making sure the printers will connect etc.

Finally about 4pm, the truck arrives with the computers. Poor bastards had spent the afternoon running up and down the stairs at my old site, manually carrying down all of our stuff and carrying up all the stuff for the people moving in and setting that up before they could come back to us.

But once they got there, shit they were quick. 15 minutes and all unloaded and whacked on desks. I gave the IT guys a hand setting up the computers for a bit (I got 6 done) and pulled the pin a bit after 5. They'll be there til 8 tonight and back tomorrow to finish and test.

Never mind, it's done. Didn't go smoothly, but it worked and I'm pretty sure come Monday one thing I won't get nagged about is computer and printer access.

Home by six, peel off the clothes and get a drink (tequila and lime juice on ice with a beer chaser) and the phone rings. The bloke who was in charge of the removalist teams just wanted some feedback on how I thought his guys worked, to which I said IMO really well. No stuffing around, they were quick and efficient. Then he gave me some feedback from his blokes.

Apparently they really appreciated having a manager like me on site. Seems like (and I'm paraphrasing here) they aren't accustomed to having site managers being able to give clear directions and talk to them like actual people, nor to having managers actually getting physical and helping them out when required.

So that little bit at the end is what tipped me from being pissed off to happy.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:45 pm

^ good stuff, Stui.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Watching Six Nations rugby at a Dublin pub. Great atmosphere.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Unwinding my head, sitting in the shade in the front yard, glass of tequila lime and soda and a smoke, reading some books on the Kobo.

Batteries are recharged enough to at least stand the nagging I'm going to cop tomorrow.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Holiday planned yay! Very Happy

Auckland pick up a camper van for about 8 days or so mainly to see the volcanoes, then Tonga to see the humpback whales for 10 days or so and then a little chill time 3 days should do it at a child free resort in Fiji on the way home - Likuliku Lagoon Resort is winning so far looks fantastic Cool

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:27 pm

Morrigu wrote:

Auckland pick up a camper van for about 8 days or so mainly to see the volcanoes, then Tonga to see the humpback whales for 10 days or so and then a little chill time 3 days should do it at a child free resort in Fiji on the way home - Likuliku Lagoon Resort is winning so far looks fantastic Cool

I wouldn't worry too much about a resort being child free in Fiji. A lot have kids clubs and the Fijian women love kids and the last things kids will want is hang around parents or any white adult actually. Some have separate meal times for kids as well.One I saw has a kids bar. And children are knackered by 7 oclock with all the activities. If you were talking about Bali and kids 12-17 then I see your point.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:41 pm

ronrat wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about a resort being child free in Fiji. A lot have kids clubs and the Fijian women love kids and the last things kids will want is hang around parents or any white adult actually. Some have separate meal times for kids as well.One I saw has a kids bar. And children are knackered by 7 oclock with all the activities. If you were talking about Bali and kids 12-17 then I see your point.

^ yeah nah maybe RR - I should have said adult only - sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way it is - no chance in hell we are ever going anywhere with a kids club, kids eat free, kids activities or teenagers - that ain't a holiday it's our idea of hell Shocked TBH Fiji is not somewhere we would have picked but it's on the way home from Tonga so what the hell!

Have you been there? Any recommendations or suggestions?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Morrigu wrote:

Wow sounds awesome, enjoy xx

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:10 pm

think positive wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Wow sounds awesome, enjoy xx

Sad Australia pledges aid to help Tonga with Zika virus

Australia has pledged up to $500,000 in aid to Tonga to help combat the spread of the Zika virus after an outbreak was declared last week raised concerns in the regIon.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-07/australia-pledges-aid-to-help-tonga-pacific-with-zika/7147282

Still no chance of me being pregnant and never had a mozzie bite in my life so should be ok!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:22 pm

^

I went to Tonga when i was 12. Went in a convoy of army trucks from the port to a beach where they did a massive feast and I scored a touch of food poisoning. (I've got good guts, couple of upchucks and a good nights sleep I was fine)

My main memories was the beach was basically pulverised coral that wasn't fine enough to be sand so you couldn't go barefoot with messing up your feet, and the the local in the truck with us was utterly fascinated with my mop of really light blonde hair. Oh to have been a few years older.

Have fun.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:22 pm

^ Very Happy

I have to try and learn to snorkel - I've tried and tried but every time I put the thing ( no rude comparisons now!!) in my mouth I gag cause it reminds me of intubating people in ICU and I splutter and flap around like the whales I want to see - maybe they will adopt me!!

Anyone know anywhere that is good to learn by chance?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Morrigu wrote:
ronrat wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

^ yeah nah maybe RR - I should have said adult only - sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way it is - no chance in hell we are ever going anywhere with a kids club, kids eat free, kids activities or teenagers - that ain't a holiday it's our idea of hell Shocked TBH Fiji is not somewhere we would have picked but it's on the way home from Tonga so what the hell!

Have you been there? Any recommendations or suggestions?

Been to Fiji a few times. Plenty of options. Probably best to leave the main island to escapes kids. Turtle Island is one but is very expensive. On the mainland Naviti is good for handicrafts and the trip up Navua is good but a long way from the main resorts. Parents have timeshare there so we stay self contained. Many of the resorts have snorkel classes. Travel agent would have more idea of specific places as the options are huge.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Not being silly, you could buy one and practice at the local pool. First time I tried snorkelling on the great barrier reef I had a mild panic attack at first and was breathing too heavy but once I focused and slowed my breathing, it was really cool. That water is really buoyant, once you get the hang of breathing you just lie face down and slowly kick your legs.

Make sure you either wear a full lycra suit (very unflattering I know) or douse yourself in sunblock on your back and back of legs or you'll get crisped in 30 minutes flat. I reckon the suit is best.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:00 pm

ronrat wrote:
Been to Fiji a few times. Plenty of options. Probably best to leave the main island to escapes kids. Turtle Island is one but is very expensive. On the mainland Naviti is good for handicrafts and the trip up Navua is good but a long way from the main resorts. Parents have timeshare there so we stay self contained. Many of the resorts have snorkel classes. Travel agent would have more idea of specific places as the options are huge.

Thanks RR - Turtle Island looks beautiful Cool

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 649, 650, 651 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 650 of 866   

Jump to: