Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie's 2016 Preview

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic, thorough and insightful review. Great job!
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:46 am

perthmagpie wrote:
Good work. Well done. That must have taken a long time.

I have a bit of a worry from our stats mentioned at the Fourm. We are great at contested ball, stoppages etc but crap at centre clearances. We have had far too many times where we crowd the contest with numbers and then when get possession have no one clear to start a chain of play. If we lose the contested ball the other teams have players off the pack ready to cause damage. I know Bucks mentioned this. He wants us to keep our shape around stoppages and packs and not have too many players get sucked in to the area. Problem is is we drop those couple players into space will we really be so good at contested ball? I have my doubts as when the numbers are even at centre clearances we are poor. Anyone else thought of this.

Now maybe with the introduction of Treloar and more Greenwood this will improve. But Treloar is more a predator type as opposed to a Luke Ball type. We are going to need Greenwood, Adams and De Goey to get plenty of clearances in 2016.

Good points, but don't underestimate what Greenwood will add if he can play a full season. I don't think we saw him at his best in 2015 when he returned from injury.

Most of our mids can play a bit of inside and outside, but I suspect that you are right that Greenwood and Adams will spend close to all their time in the guts feeding it out to runners. I only see DeGoey pinch hitting in that role in 2016 (maybe swapping with Swanny out of a forward pocket?). If Bucks pushes Marley Williams into the guts then he would likely play that bullocking inside role as well.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:35 pm

Awesome review that covers all the key points that are necessary to understand the path that our club is taking heading into next year.

Well done! Smile

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:17 pm

I have pretty much finished what I intended.

I may tidy some bits up as we go and I will look to add in some bits for pre-season training, National Draft and Rookie Draft when the times come.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 am

A very interesting article in today's Herald Sun which goes to the concerns I expressed above about clubs genuinely bidding on academy and father/son prospects.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-says-highly-unlikely-clubs-colluding-on-academy-picks/news-story/424fd4caaea28f1b2e6fd64153cc3e06

It is only days until the draft. The AFL integrity unit must urgently investigate the specific allegation that has been made regarding one club asking as part of trade discussions that a certain player not be bid on.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:53 am

A copy of the article from the AFL site without the paywall...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-12/afl-to-come-down-terribly-terribly-hard-on-possible-draft-bidding-collusion
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:35 am

jackcass wrote:
A copy of the article from the AFL site without the paywall...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-12/afl-to-come-down-terribly-terribly-hard-on-possible-draft-bidding-collusion

Thanks, but that is a different article.

I don't have a paywall obstructing me at this link:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-says-highly-unlikely-clubs-colluding-on-academy-picks/news-story/424fd4caaea28f1b2e6fd64153cc3e06

The pertinent bit is this:

“Yeah, we’re worried — and we’ve formally asked the AFL for clarity on it because it’s actually collusion,” one chief recruiter said.

“We’ve actually got proof because as part of a trade we were talking about with (a club) they asked us not to bid on (their player).

MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:43 am

Thank you MightyMagpie.

I use Nicksters because there are articles like this.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:44 pm

Sensational review there MM. Well done.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:25 pm

I agree, our ruckmen cannot mark. For mine, this is a natural ability skill requiring the right timing and soft hands. If it was easy to get one's ruckmen to become great marks, and become Peter Moore like targets in the forward line, then every team would have them.

I would like to move away from this defensive forward mentality. Let Macaffer try be an offensive forward. It should go without saying that a forward would try to get the ball back if they didn't get it first.

Yes, Blair has been consistent (in not kicking goals). Would hope to have a much more dangerous option in that position this year.

Overall, I agree. Unless we get horribly whacked by injury, we should be right in it this season.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Great review.

I think this season proved we can beat the 5-8 teams on a good dae and match it with the best but not pull away from them.
We've had some great pick-ups, no serious loss of personal and some young guns like Moore and Sharonberg.
Hopefully next year the team we will play a more bang the ball forward at all costs (a la Lethal with 1990 team) that will spread the opposition defence and allow more scoring op's.

Roll on 2016.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Updated with some National Draft commentary.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:07 am

Posted some contractual status comments based on the useful info posted by woods_the_best.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:56 am

Updated for 2016 coaching panel and a few comments/updates and links to training reports.

I will probably venture into making some predictions in the new year.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Quote:
Moore showed enormous potential in his nine games in 2015, but we must remember he is still essentially a kid. He certainly played well enough to expect a spot as a tall forward even though he has a lot to improve. I don't want to see him overworked too early and if he pinch hits in the ruck then I have concerns about the effect of the crash and bash aspect on his body. I would expect Moore to play almost all games in 2016.

Where do you see Moore needs the Most Improvement in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: