Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Domestic violence is not just about misogyny

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
Is it just me, or is Pies4shaw sounding more and more like Rumpole every day? I keep expecting him to call for another glass of claret and break out into sonorous phrases from Henry Vth or Paradise Regained.

Pomeroys plonk is still Pomeroys plonk regardless of criminal or commercial.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Back in the day if 2 blokes got in a disagreement their mates would stand back and let them have a fair fight. If someone intervened it was to pull one person out of the fight. Nowdays the mates wait until 1 person hits the ground then all climb in with boots. I have zero respect for people who do that.

Exactly!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
In general, I mean - not specifically for the sorts of undesirable things to which you might have referred.

Pomeroys plonk is still Pomeroys plonk regardless of the Timpson's or the Molloy's.

Or as Leunig once wrote / drew many years ago:

How do you sleep at night with your .....valued clientele, commercial contracts justifying off shore accounts etc. deceiving the tax office, avoiding the riff raff (well maybe not in those words)

I sleep on contoured sheets, on a auto massage bed, in a luxury house, in a beautiful neighbourhood with a woman whose beauty would make you weep with desire.... was the response Wink or something like that.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:49 pm

I have a copy of that cartoon, framed, on my Chambers' wall.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Tannin wrote:
luvdids wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
i dont trust many people anymore when it comes to my girls! sad? yeah sure, i remember walking around Altona in the middle of the night, all the way to the beach and back at 3 in the morning, no worries, as a 16-18 year old (id sleep at friends houses with less strict parents!). but its not like that anymore.

This is an interesting example of how the media shapes perception. The fact is that the streets are probably safer now than they were back in the 'good old days' twenty, thirty, forty years ago. But a lot of people look at the increased (and increasingly sensationalistic) reporting of violent crime and quite understandably presume that the exact opposite is true.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't as many ice crazed lunatics roaming the streets back in the day. That's not media shaping anything, hasn't been sensationalised, it's a fact. Ice wasn't around. And people on it tend to have lunatic tendencies. Look at them the wrong way and you're done. I don't think the streets are as safe as they were, and they're far from safer, IMHO

(1) Ice is only one major factor.

(2) A second huge factor is the relentless diet of desentising violence presented on and glorified by TV, movies and other so-called "entertainments". This is the first generation to grow up from the cradle on such vile poison.

(3) Third big factor is energy drinks and assorted other uppers. Back in the day, if you got really, really drunk you spewed up and passed out. Now they dose themselves up so far on energy drinks and uppers that they can't pass out, and they can be mindlessly drunk and still extremely dangerous.

(4) Last factor is probably largely a consequence of (2) above. People don't punch someone up and walk away anymore. Much more likely now to knock someone down and then carry on kicking and using weapons until life is extinct or normal life is no longer possible because of sickening injuries.

(5) bad parenting, feral kids running around, no respect for anyone or anything. no moral compass.

(6) good old fashion personal responsibility, "wasnt my fault your honour, my dad smack my bum with the palm of his hand 25 years ago" oh you poor thing, slap on the wrist, free to go kill someone next week

(7) at least in altona where a grew up, kids were not getting skunk drunk at a young age, and then going out looking for trouble.down the beach on a hot summers night, it was packed with kids til the early hours. i remember jumping off the end of altona pier at some ungodly hour, terrified, with the jaws music ringing in my ears!

i did cop a black eye at a blue light disco once, but she was just an out and out bully, 3 times my size. but you just didnt see the level of violence there is today. fights were different, they tended to be fairer, not too many picked up a bottle or other weapon.

drug addiction means addicts looking for easy money, how many old folks got punched up 35 years ago? can you even imagine someone in a wheel chair getting attacked back then?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Not Rumpole, Tannin. I have never tried a criminal case. Strictly commercial work for nice people.

Not Rumpole - maybe more Rake Wink Laughing

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:31 pm

Oops. Too much data.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:18 am

A speech every parent, every teacher, every person, should read

http://www.ourwatch.org.au/News-media/Latest-news/Ken-Lay-address-on-International-Day-for-the-Elimi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: