Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why are Jews always the scapegoats?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
What did I say that was wrong? It's all on record and sourced. Favouring the in-group is hardly controversial (or disputed) and the boycott is well known as a spark that helped ignite the fire of hatred from the simmering anger and antipathy that already existed after the complete $Ł$%^%%$ of Germany in the 1920s.

FWIW Jews have been expelled over and over again from many different countries throughout history, so it's hard to pin down specifics.

http://danadler.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/JewishExpulsions.png

I swear you people just see that it's me writing something and jump on it.

Perhaps it's a chicken or egg thing, but the Nazis were already on record with extreme anti-semitic views long before 1933 - so, not only was a Jewish boycott of Hitler's Germany perfectly reasonable, it seems unlikely that it played a significant role in the oppression that was to come.

As for getting jumped on, you did more or less just write that all non-white supremacist writing on Jews is 'whitewashed'. Saying that the truth about, say, the Holocaust or Jewish World Domination lies somewhere between Neo-Nazi conspiracy theories and the official record is perhaps not the most popular line to take nowadays. Laughing

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:18 am

Indeed, the violent antisemitism was flagrantly evident in Mein Kampf in 1922. While the material you posted was used as justification by the Nazis (not that they felt they needed any), Wokko, it doesn't explain what happened. I thought it was a bit of an unusual take on the subject, tbh.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:32 am

watt price tully wrote:

2.3 The UK & its role in antisemtism ( see York & Jews) Quite fascinating on one level & painful: (some would say not much has changed)

"...In 1144 came the first report in history of the blood libel against Jews; it came up in the case of William of Norwich (1144).[4] Anthony Julius finds that the English were endlessly imaginative in inventing anti-Semitic allegations against the Jews. He says that England became the "principal promoter, and indeed in some sense the inventor of literary anti-Semitism."[5] In his book, Julius argues that blood libel is the key, because it incorporates the themes that Jews are malevolent, constantly conspiring against Christians, powerful, and merciless. Variations include stories about Jews poisoning wells, twisting minds, and buying and selling Christian souls and bodies...."

Just a word of caution here. If you've read much medieval history, this is pretty standard stuff. I don't mean persecution of Jews in particular, I just mean appalling bloodthirsty hate speech in general, and acts to match. Europeans (including the English) in those days made our own present-day ISIS scum look like half-decent citizens and Hitler look like a sensible, civilised man. (Only reason they didn't kill 6 million people all in one go is that they got a bit bored building bonfires and had to slip home to milk the cows now and gain. Besides, there were only 80-odd million in the whole of Europe - i.e., about as many people as there are in Germany alone today.)

Or jump forward a few hundred years and look at the mind-boggling hatred of Catholics in the 1600s in England (and other places) matched by the most horrible persecution. Slip over to western Europe and you have the same deal in reverse - the Spanish Inquisition remains infamous for brutality to this day.

My point here is simply one of context. To the modern reader that passage you quoted seem bizarre and terrible (as indeed it is!) but seen in the context of the times, it's not far beyond average, everyday standard fare.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:43 am

Mugwump wrote:
think positive wrote:
Gees I really missed a lot at Sunday school. And school come to think of it, since my first primary school was actually a country church! In cotton end Bedford!

I was brought up Catholic, though not fervently so, and one of the oddities of that was that for one year - I guess about 1968- I was excused from RE classes at Vermont primary school and allowed to sit in the corridor with Danny Finkelstein while they went on. I remember they gave us slates to draw on, which we used to draw pictures of Protestants. It only happened for one year. I guess my mother must have ticked an opt-out box or something.

An interesting and informative discussion all round, Nicksters, cheers

Cheers

How is Danny? Cool name

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:55 am

Tannin wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

2.3 The UK & its role in antisemtism ( see York & Jews) Quite fascinating on one level & painful: (some would say not much has changed)

"...In 1144 came the first report in history of the blood libel against Jews; it came up in the case of William of Norwich (1144).[4] Anthony Julius finds that the English were endlessly imaginative in inventing anti-Semitic allegations against the Jews. He says that England became the "principal promoter, and indeed in some sense the inventor of literary anti-Semitism."[5] In his book, Julius argues that blood libel is the key, because it incorporates the themes that Jews are malevolent, constantly conspiring against Christians, powerful, and merciless. Variations include stories about Jews poisoning wells, twisting minds, and buying and selling Christian souls and bodies...."

Just a word of caution here. If you've read much medieval history, this is pretty standard stuff. I don't mean persecution of Jews in particular, I just mean appalling bloodthirsty hate speech in general, and acts to match. Europeans (including the English) in those days made our own present-day ISIS scum look like half-decent citizens and Hitler look like a sensible, civilised man. (Only reason they didn't kill 6 million people all in one go is that they got a bit bored building bonfires and had to slip home to milk the cows now and gain. Besides, there were only 80-odd million in the whole of Europe - i.e., about as many people as there are in Germany alone today.)

Or jump forward a few hundred years and look at the mind-boggling hatred of Catholics in the 1600s in England (and other places) matched by the most horrible persecution. Slip over to western Europe and you have the same deal in reverse - the Spanish Inquisition remains infamous for brutality to this day.

My point here is simply one of context. To the modern reader that passage you quoted seem bizarre and terrible (as indeed it is!) but seen in the context of the times, it's not far beyond average, everyday standard fare.

York however is an exemplar & quite famous for a focus of anti semitism in the UK, you'll find it in many references. That is no to say that others have not been maligned, persecuted to be sure. However, Stui's question was quite specifically about Jews & York stands out as a shocker. I should know, i was there.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:08 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
What did I say that was wrong? It's all on record and sourced. Favouring the in-group is hardly controversial (or disputed) and the boycott is well known as a spark that helped ignite the fire of hatred from the simmering anger and antipathy that already existed after the complete $Ł$%^%%$ of Germany in the 1920s.

FWIW Jews have been expelled over and over again from many different countries throughout history, so it's hard to pin down specifics.

http://danadler.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/JewishExpulsions.png

I swear you people just see that it's me writing something and jump on it.

Perhaps it's a chicken or egg thing, but the Nazis were already on record with extreme anti-semitic views long before 1933 - so, not only was a Jewish boycott of Hitler's Germany perfectly reasonable, it seems unlikely that it played a significant role in the oppression that was to come.

As for getting jumped on, you did more or less just write that all non-white supremacist writing on Jews is 'whitewashed'. Saying that the truth about, say, the Holocaust or Jewish World Domination lies somewhere between Neo-Nazi conspiracy theories and the official record is perhaps not the most popular line to take nowadays. Laughing

I'd written a reasonably long post defending what I'd said but I think i'll just leave this powder keg alone, which was my first instinct that I should've listened to.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:10 am

Mugwump wrote:
Indeed, the violent antisemitism was flagrantly evident in Mein Kampf in 1922. While the material you posted was used as justification by the Nazis (not that they felt they needed any), Wokko, it doesn't explain what happened. I thought it was a bit of an unusual take on the subject, tbh.

Unusual - you ol' diplomat you.

I'm off to work & deal with others who claim to know the truth, Last week I met a fellow who claimed to know the truth, called himself god. Need 6 police to handcuff him.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:18 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

York however is an exemplar & quite famous for a focus of anti semitism in the UK, you'll find it in many references. That is no to say that others have not been maligned, persecuted to be sure. However, Stui's question was quite specifically about Jews & York stands out as a shocker. I should know, i was there.

Indeed, the Clifford Tower in York has an excellent exhibition on the terrible persecution and massacre/mass-suicide of Jews that took place in 1100 or thereabouts. Typically these events were orchestrated by powers (even up to the King himself) that wanted to confiscate the Jews' wealth to meet some deficit or other. Medieval England was a horrible place.

By the 19th century, though, Jewish identity in England had become so thoroughly normalised and accepted that one of the greatest ever Conservative Prime Ministers, Disraeli, was - as the name implies - Jewish. I don't know why that happened, but I can imagine that an England exploding economically after the Industrial revolution was much in need of Jewish capital and the economic reverses were relatively few, so there were fewer motives for persecution. A growing middle class, that great anchor of stability, doubtless helped.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:23 pm

No I have not seen in the context of the times it's not average everyday standard fare . What's it like?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Who says the VPT can't be edumacational?

Good stuff all, and thanks for the context about the Catholics "owning" Europe and treating Jews as non citizens WPT. That makes all the following stuff from others fit into the boxes.

I guess perceptions formed over a number of generations can be hard to shake even if the original stimulus for them is long gone.

It would seem that old enmity is long gone in most, (you'd certainly think so in Australia) but I guess in some people it's just under the surface waiting to get out.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Who says the VPT can't be edumacational?

Good stuff all, and thanks for the context about the Catholics "owning" Europe and treating Jews as non citizens WPT. That makes all the following stuff from others fit into the boxes.

I guess perceptions formed over a number of generations can be hard to shake even if the original stimulus for them is long gone.

It would seem that old enmity is long gone in most, (you'd certainly think so in Australia) but I guess in some people it's just under the surface waiting to get out.

Cheers Stui.

The film Shoah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoah_(film) 1985 shows not too much has changed really. Also current Europe also shows much the same this time with North African & Middle eastern let alone "white" Europeans. Those behind the iron curtain had a different upbringing to the west & add another layer.

I also draw your attention to the European world cup soccer a coupe of years ago which I posted here previously about Poland & the Ukraine - but that's another story.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:30 pm

A lot of good points about how specific circumstances brought about the type of anti semitism we see, particularly over money. In the end though it really boils down to always being a migrant population, doesn't it? During difficult times the other will always be scapegoated first. The Jews having been particularly successful were always an easy target. We see a similar hatred of the Roma people who have never had a homeland.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:25 am

think positive wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
think positive wrote:
Gees I really missed a lot at Sunday school. And school come to think of it, since my first primary school was actually a country church! In cotton end Bedford!

I was brought up Catholic, though not fervently so, and one of the oddities of that was that for one year - I guess about 1968- I was excused from RE classes at Vermont primary school and allowed to sit in the corridor with Danny Finkelstein while they went on. I remember they gave us slates to draw on, which we used to draw pictures of Protestants. It only happened for one year. I guess my mother must have ticked an opt-out box or something.

An interesting and informative discussion all round, Nicksters, cheers

Cheers

How is Danny? Cool name

Dunno, we were only about 8 and he disappeared into life. But I still feel the affinity of the school corridor and hope he's done ok. There are lots of Danny Finkelsteins on Google ! It is an excellent name. I agree.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:48 am

Pi wrote:
Interesting origin of the word scapegoat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapegoat

Perhaps this is a revenge of sorts by goats as they have been a common ritual sacrifice in that part of the world.

Scapegoat is a another name for a fainting goat and it goes back to the dawn farming, well before the bible was written.
Farmers would have at least 1 of these animals in a flock and when attacked the less valuable fainting goat would fall-over leaving the rest of the flock to escape unscathed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

Last edited by 3.14159 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:50 am

3.14159 wrote:
[quote="Pi"]Interesting origin of the word scapegoat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapegoat

Perhaps this is a revenge of sorts by goats as they have been a common ritual sacrifice in that part of the world.

[/quote]

Scapegoat is a another name for a fainting goat.
Farmers would have at least 1 of these animals in a flock and when attacked the less valuable fainting goat would fall-over leaving the rest of the flock to get awae unscathed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg
When is wikipediadot orgwikiScapegoat Perhaps this not a revenge of sorts by goats as they was a common ritual sacrifice in that part of the world?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: