Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you learn today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
OK, so apparently this was no big secret but I just learned it.

You heard of Easter Island? yeah?
That's the place with those big arse head statues all over the place. The joint where the Peruvians and Spanish basically wiped out any remnants of the original population in the early 1800's by taking them as slaves.

You know those statues? The heads?

the farkers have bodies. Shocked The bodies are buried in the ground so only the head sticks up. Shocked

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/easter-island-head-bodies-293799

Pretty amazing, isn't it. How much work must have gone into building them?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:31 pm

^

How much work? serious amounts of work.

What did they do it for? Why did they bury the farkers like that? so many different theories about the place, it's a real and genuine mystery.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:39 pm

They wouldn't have actually been deliberately buried, would they? I was thinking it was just the result of gradual deposition over the centuries, the same way ancient cities and monuments are dug up from underground. But yeah, how and why they were built is still a mystery as far as I know.

This rather silly video might offer some clues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rO-I7butL4

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:50 pm

^

Yeah nah. Lasted 1 minute in. Confused

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Lemon removes rust stains.

Yep, everybody knows that. You can look up "how to remove rust stains" on the multinational monopoly search engine of your choice and every page you see says something like "rub half a lemon on the stain". Yadda yadda. Or lime, orange if you haven't got a lemon or a lime.

These were pretty nasty rust stains on a tile floor. Half-baked home remedies were obviously not going to cut it. You could scrub and scrub with soap or abrasives. This needed an industrial strength stain remover. Or so I thought.

After dithering around for a month and not finding a product that looked like the right answer, today I thought "bugger it!, I've got a lime here that's past its use-by, it won't achieve much but at least it will be a start".

Well you can put me to bed with a shovel. The damn stuff is magic. Stain gone!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm

I can do that

The shovel bit I mean Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:34 pm

I've just discovered magic erasers, about half an hour before our most recent house inspection. I don't know how they work and I don't care. They are magic.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:38 pm

^ haha, yes, a brilliant invention. Did rub the paint off one of my old walls as well once but small price to pay.

I went a bit mental the first time, great for around light switches as well... who knew they got so grotty!! Shocked
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:47 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100pcs-Magic-Sponge-Eraser-Melamine-Cleaner-Multi-functional-Foam-100x62x20mm-/360886518149?hash=item5406834185:g:3xQAAMXQS6pRpx5O
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:25 pm

Bugger me, Lime juice removes rust? Might have to rub some downstairs. Razz

Fresh lime juice mixed with a little Olive Oil and some chilli and Garlic makes a sensational salad dressing.

And those magic eraser things, I've seen them in the shops and thought they were a con. They actually work? Shocked

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:53 am

Jesus was a munchkin.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/science/experts-use-forensics-tests-to-discover-what-jesus-christ-may-have-looked-like/news-story/9c9a08c91bbf4c5fa7c0094022beb1dd

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:09 am

David wrote:
I've just discovered magic erasers, about half an hour before our most recent house inspection. I don't know how they work and I don't care. They are magic.

They are awesome! I've given them to people and they think I'm nuts! Then they thank me! Sometimes you can pick them up in two dollar shops in one big piece, much cheaper than the supermarket. We have a bulk soap place near us, I bought a pack of ten of the two dollar shop ones for $16, I have 4 upstairs, 4 downstairs and two in the garage.

One of rods work mates had those annoying little scratches on his car door, I said to him give this a go but don't press hard, you'll take the paint off, ho thought I was crazy, but it worked!

They make light work of shower soap scum. And spray the shower screen with vinegar, use the magic block, gets the yuk off completely. Brilliant on stone bench tops, because it never scratches.

Stainless steel that's gone a bit cloudy, door handles etc. want your sink to gleam like new? Spray some vinegar, sprinkle some bicarbonate, let it bubble, scrub with the magic block.

Also takes the grease off of glass or tiled splash back with no damage. Takes ink off anything it hasn't sunk into.

My tool kit: blue micro duster (picks it up doesn't just spread it around) white magic, vinegar in a spray bottle, and also neat, microfibre cloths, and a special chamois thing to shine up bench tops and mirrors!

I recently added a thing from Bunnings that looks like an electric toothbrush, it has different shaped ends for cleaning grout in different places. I used to scrub the grout once or twice a year with bleach and a scrub brush, but my lungs and shoulders and knees are getting old! Used this thing the other day, used that thick toilet gel, put it on the grout lines in the laundry (I wanted brown grout to match the tiles, the tiler said no, and yes it looks better white, but it's a bugger to clean) sprawled on the floor, and this thing worked a charm! Sparkling clean grout again.

Spin mop. You need no other mop. Buy the good one online. Don't get the foot pump one, it snaps off. Use a little vinegar, sometimes I'll use windex. Vinegar cuts through grease. Yes you house smells a bit fish and chip shop like for a while, but it sparkles, it's environmentally friendly, and dirt cheap! Buy the big container.

Yes I have OCD when it comes to cleaning, and yes I have all the same colour hangers, and my wardrobe is colour coded and all the tshirts are in order and grouped together!

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:07 am

Tannin wrote:
Lemon removes rust stains.

Yep, everybody knows that. You can look up "how to remove rust stains" on the multinational monopoly search engine of your choice and every page you see says something like "rub half a lemon on the stain". Yadda yadda. Or lime, orange if you haven't got a lemon or a lime.

These were pretty nasty rust stains on a tile floor. Half-baked home remedies were obviously not going to cut it. You could scrub and scrub with soap or abrasives. This needed an industrial strength stain remover. Or so I thought.

After dithering around for a month and not finding a product that looked like the right answer, today I thought "bugger it!, I've got a lime here that's past its use-by, it won't achieve much but at least it will be a start".

Well you can put me to bed with a shovel. The damn stuff is magic. Stain gone!

Vinegar is even batter at destroying rust (you can concentrate it).
It's very much cheaper than using fruit, you can buy it in what-ever qualities you need and store (or consume) what's left of your metal stipper.
The only trouble I've had using any of the citric acids is the rapid re-oxidisation of the bare metal.
If you give the surface a thin coat of light oil and then wipe it off an hour so later you can hold the fresh surface longer.

Citric acid also totally removes any patina (old black rust) from iron so if you don't want to destroy that use molasses. It's also acid but it is much gentler but can take weeks or even months before the surface is free of red and orange rust.
I hope that's helpful Tony (or at least minimally interesting).

personal note, I'll be in Ballarat most of todae running errands, any chance we can share a pot of tea and a quick catch up maybe around lunch-time?

Last edited by 3.14159 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:24 am; edited 3 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:11 am

What did you think?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:34 pm

New tyre technology being trialled could mean the end to flat tyres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAvxQfusWU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16   

Jump to: