Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The off season --what should our targets be

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdally wrote:
happy to avoid Aish and / or Treloar to get Danger

That only works if Dangerfield wants to come to us and given our strong interest in Treloar I'd say we aren't in the mix for him.

I'd be staggered if we didn't make a big play for him initially.

Hopefully we can land one of them with Swan nearing the end and being our current leading disposal winner.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 am

Dangles wrote:
SwansWay wrote:
I think that JESSE WHITE would dominate if he played mainly on a wing. I don't like the idea of throwing the baby out with the bathwater without trying a few things first. Buckley and the coaching staff need to have more of an open mind when it comes to throwing players in different positions. You just never know what they could bring. Could be the making of him. He's a dangerous player with attributes that not many big guys have.

Agree. When Tarrant was with us the first time and he had the yips in front of goal I used to say that we should try him down back. We didn't and then he went to Freo and the rest his history. White, much like Taz, has all the physical attributes and is definitely worth trying on the wing which would also allow him to be a handy third man up in the ruck around the ground.

Taz always had a more physical approach to the way he played than White. Watched White play CHB against the Northern Blues last year and while he was okay, he certainly didn't convince that he was a born defender. Had reasonable opposition in Waite and Watson.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:28 am

Three pages and still no ones got it right

The goal posts, the $£$%^%%$ goal posts, that's the target

(Oh look, actually no done, Cloke is kicking for goal, eyes down)

Just watch how many do that, it's scary!

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:22 am

jackcass wrote:
Dangles wrote:
SwansWay wrote:
I think that JESSE WHITE would dominate if he played mainly on a wing. I don't like the idea of throwing the baby out with the bathwater without trying a few things first. Buckley and the coaching staff need to have more of an open mind when it comes to throwing players in different positions. You just never know what they could bring. Could be the making of him. He's a dangerous player with attributes that not many big guys have.

Agree. When Tarrant was with us the first time and he had the yips in front of goal I used to say that we should try him down back. We didn't and then he went to Freo and the rest his history. White, much like Taz, has all the physical attributes and is definitely worth trying on the wing which would also allow him to be a handy third man up in the ruck around the ground.

Taz always had a more physical approach to the way he played than White. Watched White play CHB against the Northern Blues last year and while he was okay, he certainly didn't convince that he was a born defender. Had reasonable opposition in Waite and Watson.

Taz had a great pair of hands, made position and read the ball in the air really well, some things you could never accuse White of. I don't think it's a great comparison. Reckon he's goneskis anyway.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:34 am

think positive wrote:

I'd actually prefer that the goals be the in-season target. Seems a shame to waste limited accuracy off-season.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:35 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Dangles wrote:
SwansWay wrote:

Taz had a great pair of hands, made position and read the ball in the air really well, some things you could never accuse White of. I don't think it's a great comparison. Reckon he's goneskis anyway.

Agree on Taz. Can't see White going anywhere until at least the end of 2016.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:39 am

think positive wrote:

which comp did you lead the goal-kicking in?

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:46 am

jackcass wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Dangles wrote:
SwansWay wrote:

Agree on Taz. Can't see White going anywhere until at least the end of 2016.

Taz became a defender. We're talking about making White a wingman like Richo became at Richmond. I just threw up Taz as an example of another player who, like White, had the physical attributes to be tried in more than one position. And again I beleive he'd also be handy as the third man up in the ruck like Blicavs at Geelong. All these guys mentioned have one thing in common, they're all tall and athletic. Whether you believe he could do it or not is a matter for speculation but it's worth a try.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:49 pm

I don't think White would work in defence and Dangles never implied that. Back when Taz was at the Pies I always said to my father that he's not really a forward and maybe he should play on the wing too. Then he left and became a defender. White would kill it on a wing. Mark my words. He'd be tough to match up on in that position. I could see White getting 10-15 Brownlow votes in that position.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Anything not requiring him to out mark his opposite number would be ok, I guess.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:58 pm

SwansWay wrote:
I don't think White would work in defence and Dangles never implied that. Back when Taz was at the Pies I always said to my father that he's not really a forward and maybe he should play on the wing too. Then he left and became a defender. White would kill it on a wing. Mark my words. He'd be tough to match up on in that position. I could see White getting 10-15 Brownlow votes in that position.

I didn't say anyone said anything. I pointed out that Taz is a different player than White and added an observation that White doesn't appear to be a defender. Read back through my past posts and I've actually advocated that White be tried on a wing and as a ruck-rover.

Equally, with the transition of players like Richo and Taz, they both had one thing in common that White lacks, they were both very very good forwards in their own right before they transitioned.

I think White will get squeezed out of the F50 by Moore and Reid so if he wants to sustain his career he needs to reinvent himself. Wing or ruck-rover might be his best options.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:25 pm

John Wren wrote:
think positive wrote:

which comp did you lead the goal-kicking in?

Actually I was a defender mostly, have a lovely trophy that says 'most reliable defender'

(Not sure if that meant I showed up every week though)

But I can tell you now, a few weeks back Cloke missed one from about 15 metres out I could have kicked in my heels. If I was paid that much money, I'd be doing a Johnny and practices 100 shots every night. I'd be too fricken embarrassed to have his figures.
That comment is not offensive, and if it is, well I guess we will be waiting another fricken 15 years for a premiership, if your happy to settle for the goal kicking accuracy served up by this team this year. And last, and the year before that. It's pathetic. 10 weeks out of 11.

As for the Cloke comment, sit in the crowd, and look around when he's kicking, it's so funny how many people just can't watch! Including me!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:26 pm

jackcass wrote:
think positive wrote:

I'd actually prefer that the goals be the in-season target. Seems a shame to waste limited accuracy off-season.

Good point! Wink

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:33 am

Obviously we've gone from boiled lollies to scorched almonds in less than a week, so I'll try not to get too carried away with our terrific win tonight, but what does it suggest are our player needs in the off-season?

With Grundy beginning to dominate, Reid returning next year as an AA defender and Darcy Moore set to become an even more damaging forward, all of a sudden our KPP stocks look in good shape. Add to that our 'new' midfield of Crisp, Greenwood, Adams, De Goey and Sidey, we look stronger and quicker there than we have for some time. Next year should give us the luxury of no longer relying on Pendles or Swanny as our engine room.

So what do we need? Mids, KPPs, forwards or defenders? To be honest I think we've actually got all bases covered - we just need to get more games into our exciting crop of young guns. That said I guess another A grade fast outside midfielder and perhaps another KP forward would be the icing on the cake.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:48 am

Dangles wrote:
We're talking about making White a wingman like Richo became at Richmond.

Richo could mark.

But WTF? Why not give it a try? I reckon White on a wing would be a handful and a difficult man to match up on. He's do a few nice things and be part of our chain for maybe 4 goals a match.

Unfortunately, his opponent would be part of their chain for maybe 10 goals a match. If they had any sense, they'd play a tallish mid on him, an Oxley type. (In other words, a classic genuine wingman.) Someone who can at least contest a mark (you don't need a strong, tall physical match for White 'coz he drops most of them, just someone tall enough to make him work a bit) with some endurance and a bit of toe. Every time White drops a pass, their player - a genuine mid - is odds on to gather the crumb if they are one out. And every time there is a turnover, they have a wingman effectively unmarked (coz White is quick for a big bloke but any decent 190cm mid will burn him off).

Result: we lose. But by all means try it out. You never know if you never go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: