Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Windows 10 upgrade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t Use Windows 10 IF you use Torrents

https://torrentfreak.com/torrent-trackers-ban-windows-10-over-privacy-concerns-150822/

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Culprit wrote:
I will wait for Windows 10B, after they fix the plethora of bugs in Windows 10 and then no need for endless updating. Oh shoot the updating never stops. Shocked

Yeah - I been told never by software when it 1st Comes out as it be full of Bugs and Stuff. Wait at least 6 Months before getting it.

I also agree I hate that software now seems to get 1 update per week at best Shocked

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:58 pm

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/microsoft-intensifies-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8-systems/
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks Tannin, installed my copy of 8.1 Pro on my new build and ran those updates out of town.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/microsoft-intensifies-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8-systems/

So No One can do anything on Windows without Microsft Knowing?

Thank Christ my Windows machines are not Hooked up to the Net Very Happy

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:21 am

Just Like Windows 10, Windows 7 and 8 Also Spy on You http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-spying-on-you.html

Microsoft intensifies data collection on Windows 7 and 8 systems http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/microsoft-intensifies-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8-systems/

Windows 10 Worst Feature To Install On Windows 7 And Windows 8 http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/30/windows-10-spying-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/

It's a time-consuming and far from simple task to undo all these changes Microsoftf inflicted on you without your permission. Thankfully, there is now a very simple one-download fix for these bastard acts from Microsoft. Download it here: https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:41 am

The bastards are pushing harder and pulling new stunts now: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/15/pushy_windows_10/
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:51 am

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/26/microsoft_renamed_data_slurper_reinserted_windows_10/

Quote:

This year Microsoft introduced background tracking services called DiagTrack, or the Diagnostics Tracking Service. It was added to Windows 8.1 installations as well as betas of Windows 10. It arrived without much fanfare in May 14, in the shape of a patch, KB3022345.

It was just one of several slurping enhancements added via the back door.

The data that DiagTrack collected was typical of a spyware programme. The only way you knew you were being monitored was by eyeballing the list of running processes in Task Manager. As Microsoft explained:

Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.

Users thought it had disappeared in recent Windows 10 builds – but it hadn’t. Microsoft had simply renamed it.

The sinister-sounding tracking app was now the beatific and caring “Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service”. Once again, it needs to be disabled manually (this time through the Services control panel).

“It is this kind of overriding desire for control and a disregard for user choices which is harming Windows 10,” says Forbes journo Gordon Kelly, and he’s right.

Microsoft spent millions portraying Google as a greedy and amoral data marauder. Redmond doesn't need to read your email, it told everyone. The Scroogled campaign positioned Microsoft itself as the ethical alternative; the occupier of the moral high ground.

For a while, it was. But Windows 10 is bad for your privacy, and it is damaging Microsoft’s reputation as a trusted consumer brand.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Tannin wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/26/microsoft_renamed_data_slurper_reinserted_windows_10/

Quote:

This year Microsoft introduced background tracking services called DiagTrack, or the Diagnostics Tracking Service. It was added to Windows 8.1 installations as well as betas of Windows 10. It arrived without much fanfare in May 14, in the shape of a patch, KB3022345.

It was just one of several slurping enhancements added via the back door.

The data that DiagTrack collected was typical of a spyware programme. The only way you knew you were being monitored was by eyeballing the list of running processes in Task Manager. As Microsoft explained:

Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.

Users thought it had disappeared in recent Windows 10 builds – but it hadn’t. Microsoft had simply renamed it.

The sinister-sounding tracking app was now the beatific and caring “Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service”. Once again, it needs to be disabled manually (this time through the Services control panel).

“It is this kind of overriding desire for control and a disregard for user choices which is harming Windows 10,” says Forbes journo Gordon Kelly, and he’s right.

Microsoft spent millions portraying Google as a greedy and amoral data marauder. Redmond doesn't need to read your email, it told everyone. The Scroogled campaign positioned Microsoft itself as the ethical alternative; the occupier of the moral high ground.

For a while, it was. But Windows 10 is bad for your privacy, and it is damaging Microsoft’s reputation as a trusted consumer brand.

So Microsoft want to know everything about you.

They can kiss my ass.

Plus there Tax Cheats

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:13 pm

Windows ist Muell. Linux ist die Macht!
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:22 pm

There was also a security thing there for parents to find out what the child was looking up as well, I have heard a few aren't fond of Windows 10 atm.

I've not upgraded, I really cannot afford to, even though it's free, the software I use to broadcast the radio wont work on Windows 10.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:56 pm

I've upgraded, now that I figured out how to stop it killing my sound.

Just had to go into the driver settings and prevent upgrades from changing the driver, works like a charm.

Did a custom install and ticked No to most of the send info boxes.

The data mining doesn't really bother me, Google already knows everything I do.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:57 am

Hi all

Some help needed.

Had a blue screen of death and 0xc000014xc bcd error.

I am tring to rebuild my BCD file for Windows 8.1.

I am getting an error when tring to run the export extension of BCDedit.
bcdedit /export c:\bcd_backup
The store export operation has failed

bootrec /rebuildbcd
It gave me an error: (The requested system device cannot be found), when I answered (Y) yest to (Add installation to boot list? - it finds 1 windows OS).

what can I do next to rebuild the bcd to get 8.1 to boot up?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:19 pm

OK, new developments, hard drive locked when trying to repair and can't be seen in diskpart. Only have access to X:\sources....

So reaching out to any Nicksters who know Windows 8 OS and how to diagnose and resolve these kind of issues.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:20 pm

What about the other ones?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: