Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Michael Clarke

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice piedys, I like your thoughts about Lara, I think Clarke has never let his personal life get in the way of his cricket.
The perception was always there, but this man is a team player, and a guy who strived to do a job when it needed to be done.

He has lifted his game to a new level as skipper, and plaudits must be due.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:34 pm

piedys wrote:
BJ, since he gave the strumpet the arse, and then married and settled down, he looks a lot more at ease in the chair. Hoping Clarke maintains this vein of form into the 2013 Ashes. Minus Ponting.
I'm a BIG Clarke critic, it *might* be time for me to shut up.

Yes I am also looking rather silly Dyso after some scathing attacks including allegations he has a vagina.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:22 pm

T & Dyso, the angst directed at Clarke, in the early days was, from a certain perspective, quite justified.

He had a poor first class batting record when he started being selected for national honours - certainly compared to other State's favourite batting sons - Brad Hodge readily comes to mind.

He was selected on potential and this is something we must give the selectors credit for.

Similarly, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath - 3 of Aussie Cricket's historical elite - were all included in national squads/teams on potential.

Another that comes to mind is Andrew Symonds. He didn't have a long career but the selectors were widely rubbished for sending him to the ODI World Cup. He starred in the Aussies' undefeated Cup win.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 pm

224 n.o. at stumps and it's not beyond possibility he could double that, tomorrow.

... and there are still 3 more Tests in this calendar year. Smile

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Season 2012.

8 Tests (including the current one)

12 innings. 3 not outs.

1265 runs @ 140.55

A strike rate of 66.57

paulmck 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Also a very imaginative captain.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Big T wrote:
piedys wrote:
...I'm a BIG Clarke critic, it *might* be time for me to shut up.

Yes I am also looking rather silly Dyso after some scathing attacks including allegations he has a vagina.

Eeeeppp.... i might be on record saying he was one... Shocked
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Michael Clarke now has 1489 runs for 2012 @ 106.35 from 10 Tests.

Next highest is Alastair Cook with 1249 @ 49.03 from 15 Tests.

Amla and Pietersen are the only other batsmen with 1000 runs or more.

Huss is 9th. on the list with 864 @ 61.71

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:33 am

Donny wrote:
Michael Clarke now has 1489 runs for 2012 @ 106.35 from 10 Tests.

Next highest is Alastair Cook with 1249 @ 49.03 from 15 Tests.

Huss is 9th. on the list with 864 @ 61.71

Ah, ol' Father Time eh? So much changes in sport over a couple of years.

Fair to say this Ashes Tour has been the biggest farce of the lot since 2005?

Ageing players, under-performing, half injured, egomaniac batsmen, poorly coached bowlers.
Doctored pitches. Another recipe for disaster.
All their B-grade bowling attack had to do was pitch outside off-stump, and our dickheads chase it like a moth to the flame.
Never fails on English soil, series after series.
Our bowlers either too retarded or given idiotic instructions, seem to do the opposite.
FAIL. This time, heads will roll.

Not that any two players would make a difference to the series result, but I would have been quite happy to see either Hussey or Hodge in the middle order, failing that, then Klinger.
I care little for their ages, only their proven ability to handle the conditions from the County seasons.
Too bad, so sad.

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Clarke announces his retirement
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/michael-clarke-retire-after-ashes-2015-according-to-reports-australia-england-trent-bridge/2015-08-08

Michael Clarke, Australia's 43rd Test captain and fourth highest Test run-scorer, will retire from international cricket after the fifth Ashes Test at The Oval later this month.

Clarke confirmed the news after Australia slumped to an innings-and-78-run defeat to England 40 minutes into the third morning of the fourth Test at Trent Bridge, telling former teammate and close friend Shane Warne that "the time was right".

"As captain of the team my performances have been nowhere near the level and the standard they need to be an Australian cricketer and to be captain," Clarke said.

"The boys have worked hard, I don't blame anyone int hat change room. As a team we haven't performed as well as we needed to to beat England, and as captain I certainly haven't led from the front."

Clarke told Warne he made the decision to retire in his Nottingham hotel room after the second day's play.

It followed a disastrous first day that saw Australia all out for just 60. Clarke, with innings of 10 and 13, was the only Australian to reach double figures in both innings of the Test.

He had earlier vehmently denied he was considering retireing, but changed his mind and said "it's the right time".

"I started this great game at six years of age so it's hard to walk away, there's no doubt about it, but I think it's the right time," Clarke said.

"I think as a player you build yourself up for big tournaments. The World Cup was that in one-day cricket, and Ashes cricket is that in Test matches.

"Unfortunately I haven't played as well as I would have liked and I think it's the right thing and the right time to give the Australian team and the next captain that chance to prepare for the next Ashes series."

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Shows we are going for Youth after the Ashes Smile
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:59 am

stoliboy wrote:
Clarke announces his retirement
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/michael-clarke-retire-after-ashes-2015-according-to-reports-australia-england-trent-bridge/2015-08-08

Michael Clarke, Australia's 43rd Test captain and fourth highest Test run-scorer, will retire from international cricket after the fifth Ashes Test at The Oval later this month.

Clarke confirmed the news after Australia slumped to an innings-and-78-run defeat to England 40 minutes into the third morning of the fourth Test at Trent Bridge, telling former teammate and close friend Shane Warne that "the time was right".

"As captain of the team my performances have been nowhere near the level and the standard they need to be an Australian cricketer and to be captain," Clarke said.

"The boys have worked hard, I don't blame anyone int hat change room. As a team we haven't performed as well as we needed to to beat England, and as captain I certainly haven't led from the front."

Clarke told Warne he made the decision to retire in his Nottingham hotel room after the second day's play.

It followed a disastrous first day that saw Australia all out for just 60. Clarke, with innings of 10 and 13, was the only Australian to reach double figures in both innings of the Test.

He had earlier vehmently denied he was considering retireing, but changed his mind and said "it's the right time".

"I started this great game at six years of age so it's hard to walk away, there's no doubt about it, but I think it's the right time," Clarke said.

"I think as a player you build yourself up for big tournaments. The World Cup was that in one-day cricket, and Ashes cricket is that in Test matches.

"Unfortunately I haven't played as well as I would have liked and I think it's the right thing and the right time to give the Australian team and the next captain that chance to prepare for the next Ashes series."

I'm reasonably confident he retired in late 2014 but forgot to announce it. On the other hand, he was the only Australian batsman to get to double figures in both innings at Trent Bridge.

The bigger problem is that the next captain, Sir Donald Bradsmith, and virtually the entire top order can't play the moving ball, either, so there's a reasonable chance that Australia will continue to beat up on teams in Australia but fail to make any serious impression on tour.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Sad to see him retire in difficult circumstances and after a humiliating loss to England in the Ashes.

To me Clarke hasn't been in the right frame of mind since Phillip Hughes' tragic passing. Those events really affected Clarke and I don't think he's been the same player since. He was up and about during the summer and during the Cricket World Cup but it's been a steep decline since then.

I had serious doubts about him throughout 2006-2010 where inconsistency and poor form was prevalent but after being appointed captain as a result of Ponting's retirement he became a much better player for it for about three or four years and I thought Clarke cemented himself as one of our greats for Australia.

My favourite moments of him is his test debut against India in 2004 where he recorded a score of 151, his 329 not out at the SCG against India in January 2012 and who can forget his three-match wicket winning haul against India in January 2008 at the SCG, which was a test match surrounded by controversy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: