Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Short term pain long term gain

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:31 pm
Post subject: Short term pain long term gainReply with quote

I know it's to early to call season over as mathematically we are still in than shout but I would use the remainder of the season as a opportunity to try some different things.
Firstly lets leave Scharenberg in and see what he has got. Yesterday he was far from our worst and his disposal under the pump by hand at times bellied it being his first game.
We're lacking rebound punch from the back line so I would play Varcoe back a bit and use his skills and running ability to our advantage.
Yesterday was the first time we had Adams Greenwood Crisp Pendles Swanny Sidey all in the same side all year. While they didn't play well at times they looked very good so we need to keep working on this combination.
Marley provided a bit of run yesterday and broke through the centre a few times and when he did we looked much better. I would play him as our lose man back for the rest of the year and tell him to run and create with Varcoe.
Our wing options need to be more involved. To many times they didn't provide a easy option when we were struggling coming out of defence. I would give guys like seedy or Oxley time on the wing and ask them to run both ways all day.
Toovey looks cooked at the moment playing with nil confidence and getting badly beaten. Give him a spell leave Scharenberg in and give Marsh a game as well. We won't know what he has unless he plays.
Our forward line is so dysfunctional at the moment it's scary. Faz presented well and took some strong marks but missed his first 2 shots at goal which were both very kickable and might have changed the complex of the game had he landed them. When Elliott came on he barely got forward of centre which was weird considering we needed to score to win. I would leave White out and if Cloke doesn't get up this week I would playbGrundy, Elliott, Fasalo, Moore, Swanny/Pendles & PK as our starting forwards. Yes it won't be overly tall but will have skill, marking ability, mobility and could be difficult to man up on considering both Fas and Elliott play taller than they actually are.
Moore showed yesterday he is a lead up forward and with strong hands can't ask him to stand deep and bang it on his head leave Grundy for that and make him get it to ground and let the smaller guys work from there.
Look all isn't lost this year we have a chance to play some younger guys and try some different structures and game styles to see if anything works better than what has the past month or so.
Playing the likes of Scharenberg Marsh etc at least lets us know what we have at the AFL level and worst scenario is we lose and slip down the table for a higher draft pick in a draft they say isn't overly deep.
Play the kids try something new and let's see what happens.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us on Nicks believe we should play the kids.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Good post, a lot to agree with. Re the wing issue, I would like to see White play there, do a role similar to that done by Matty Richardson when he nearly scouped the Brownlow. He can use his athleticism there, has less pressure/responsibility and would be very hard to match up on.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Agree our backline by the EOY should read as follow:

Scharenberg Brown Williams

Moore Reid Sinclair.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Lets see how the VFL do today Reid may come good
Marsh has a question mark over his kicking and we crucify players who miss kicks.
White was a spud to many every game he played gets dropped and is now the messiah

Agree with Scharra staying in
Agree with the mids has taken 18 games to play all of them lets give them time together

Think PK's already been written off
Seedsman needs to improve a lot to stay in
Moore didnt do a lot that is to be expected of a 4 game player definately keep playing him

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:42 pm

neil wrote:
Lets see how the VFL do today Reid may come good
We know what Reid offers if he is going well bring him in othwise let him keep,finding touch and match fitness in the seconds
Marsh has a question mark over his kicking and we crucify players who miss kicks.
He can't be any worse than we've seen recently
White was a spud to many every game he played gets dropped and is now the messiah
White stays out he is no messiah for mine we know what he brings to the table only gets a game if injuries warrant

Agree with Scharra staying in
Agree with the mids has taken 18 games to play all of them lets give them time together

Think PK's already been written off
Maybe but he really hasn't had a chance to show anything in the seniors
Seedsman needs to improve a lot to stay in
True but I believe telling him his in for the remaining games of the year just go out and play football might free the shackles
Moore didnt do a lot that is to be expected of a 4 game player definately keep playing him

His lead up work with strong hands was something to behold at times. After 4 games he has been a bit better each time. His frame is light and his skills are a little off AFL pace but the only way he is going to keep getting better is to play against AFL standard players
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:44 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Good post, a lot to agree with. Re the wing issue, I would like to see White play there, do a role similar to that done by Matty Richardson when he nearly scouped the Brownlow. He can use his athleticism there, has less pressure/responsibility and would be very hard to match up on.

A few weeks ago I mentioned this but I don't think Bucks sees it myself. He has a decent tank and certainly has something to offer there in my opinion.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 am

I would like White to get his place back in the team, but he didn't play well against Williamstown. Pity, but Tapping is a great VFL coach so leave White with him until hopefully White gets the message, because we need White's height and mobility in the side. Meanwhile reward Marsh with a promotion. He can take Frost's spot in the team. As much as I enjoy watching the youth play I think De Goey needs to drop back to the VFL as his form has tapered off in recent weeks. Play Reid and reward Karnezis for consistent effect in the VFL. Keep Scharenberg, Maynard and Moore in the seniors because they didn't do anything wrong against Melbourne. We have to play our best side against Carlton to beat them and not just play the kids for the sake of it.
Museman 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:29 am

Nothing will change, not in our structure and setup anyway thats just not Bux, he has a process and that process shall be followed, it's understandable ...it's him, he obviously believes in his system and accepts that at times it will be a long hall.
The issue is, to my eyes at least, it's a sh!t system within the current football landscape, it's far to much based on what we can do and not enough emphasis on what others can force us to do, his mindset is actually aggressive....overly so in fact, the problem with this is if you are going to be aggressive, you need more than one mode by which to deliver because it doesn't matter who you are aspects will be nutted out by others, and you will have some of your game taken away from you.
We are seeing this now a failure to be able to instigate change when things do not run your way, the question of drinking ones own bath water needs to be asked, some of the decisions border on ignorantly foolish, it was a Madhouse trait and it seems Bux learned something off the old fool along the way, surprising really as i think he has the brain to be a good coach but lacks vision (something he could never be accused of as a player).
Ever stop to think why great players don't often make great coaches? well....it's very hard to see your flaws when you have almost none, so as a outstanding footballer you don't analyze ...you just do...you know it works...you expect it to work and it does. Most great footballers who have become coaches history has shown just expect that their way is the way, and what worked so wonderfully as a player(my way),has to work now, coaching don't go that way and i thought Bux was intelligent enough two know that. But decision after decision year after year of the system breaking down exactly where it did last time provides a compelling argument against that thinking on my behalf.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 am

Museman wrote:
Nothing will change, not in our structure and setup anyway thats just not Bux, he has a process and that process shall be followed, it's understandable ...it's him, he obviously believes in his system and accepts that at times it will be a long hall.
The issue is, to my eyes at least, it's a sh!t system within the current football landscape, it's far to much based on what we can do and not enough emphasis on what others can force us to do, his mindset is actually aggressive....overly so in fact, the problem with this is if you are going to be aggressive, you need more than one mode by which to deliver because it doesn't matter who you are aspects will be nutted out by others, and you will have some of your game taken away from you.
We are seeing this now a failure to be able to instigate change when things do not run your way, the question of drinking ones own bath water needs to be asked, some of the decisions border on ignorantly foolish, it was a Madhouse trait and it seems Bux learned something off the old fool along the way, surprising really as i think he has the brain to be a good coach but lacks vision (something he could never be accused of as a player).
Ever stop to think why great players don't often make great coaches? well....it's very hard to see your flaws when you have almost none, so as a outstanding footballer you don't analyze ...you just do...you know it works...you expect it to work and it does. Most great footballers who have become coaches history has shown just expect that their way is the way, and what worked so wonderfully as a player(my way),has to work now, coaching don't go that way and i thought Bux was intelligent enough two know that. But decision after decision year after year of the system breaking down exactly where it did last time provides a compelling argument against that thinking on my behalf.

Museman a fair post mate. I said over 18 months ago bucks biggest strength as a player could be his biggest weakness as a coach that being his single mindedness and tunnel vision.
I thought he had turned a corner earlier in the year with some decent tactical moves but he has fallen back to the predictable selections and game plans.
I don't know if this is all bucks fault whilst he is the head coach he has assistants there who should be offering up advice and alternatives.
I said somewhere I would go after Brendan Bolton very strongly I think he is a very good tactician and might be able to unlock some of our assets currently not be used to our advantage.
Time will tell but I hope we roll the dice play the kids and see what they have to offer.
As for DeGoey he has been down a bit the past 2 weeks but I would keep him in simply because he offers vision something we are sadly lacking
Museman 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:35 am

Have no issue with keeping the youngsters going providing they have the energy levels and to be honest this could be becoming a problem for JDG, I also believe he has the football brain and i'm a little worried about Bux coaching any X he might have out of him, he's holding a spot so seems willing to conform...not completely I hope.
I actually think this is what's going on with Kennedy, not real sure he's a process footballer...he's a see it get it footballer, and I could see his style butting heads with Bux....dropping after one very poor game wreaked of more than a form thing.
A tactical coach(bolton) to work along side Bux only works if he can accept his way ain't the only way, and here's where it gets iffy, I cannot for the life of me correlate the Bux I see speak and the Bux decision making as a coach, it's polls apart, the balanced forward thinker who appears to relay a message so well in the media seems anything but given selection howlers and stubborn one way playing style of the coach.
Everyone needs a plan B, even if it's only incremental tactical change on any given day....Four years worth of evidence suggest this is not his belief...and for me that's the biggest worry of all, I watched us loose a GF 4 yars ago because someone else had the very same problem.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:24 pm

2 big mobile forwards with poor reflexes and limited kicking skills is one too many.
Benno Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:28 pm

I will probably get howled down - but I don't believe Grundy is that good - especially if you need him to play a forward role. I don't think his skills are up to it. Handy in the ruck though.

I am still trying to figure out why you wouldn't play Jessica White whilst Cloke is injured. Understand his form has been hit and miss, but our forward line was non existent.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Benno wrote:
I will probably get howled down - but I don't believe Grundy is that good - especially if you need him to play a forward role. I don't think his skills are up to it. Handy in the ruck though.

I am starting to think along the same line.
I hope we are both wrong on this.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Read the article about Bucks in the paper today and he said this group won't be in its premiership sweet spot until 2017/18. Even that may be optimistic as Cloke will be past his prime and Moore won't be in his prime at that stage if you go by the "it takes KPPs five years to develop" line of thinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: