Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Greens vs Labor

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I part ways with "classical liberals" because they're no longer liberal; instead, they're the new ultra-conservatives, and are fast becoming the Taliban of the 21st century.

While the world has marched on, they've been wallowing in mothballs and lavender talcum powder. Thus:

1. A focus on shared history and institutions, while always essential in an obvious sense, is the very last concern at the moment contrary to popular hysteria. The urgent priority is to upgrade to a more global, multi-polar agility quick smart. Forget things like quaint debates about multiculturalism; such discussions are the stuff of the 1980s.

2. The individualism story is quite similar: Essential in the broad movement of economic development, but hopelessly out-of-date in postindustrial society. Current libertarian notions are rooted in decades-old geographies, technology, and economics, and centuries-old philosophy; essential in its day, in reality it went the way of the Dodo when we were kids.

While a collectivism of any kind certainly won't do either, a more sophisticated individualism which recognises the highly-integrated nature of local, regional and global socio-economies is essential. Individualist Darwinianism is the punch card of socioeconomics in 2015.

3. The backward software of (1) and (2) is beginning to reflect in the economies of high-income countries, which are emotionally far more stagnate and set in their ways than what you find in the driven BRICs and other hungry countries. You can't live off the philosophical musings of nineteenth-century empires on the one hand, and 1950s suburban American tele-ads on the other, in 2015.

Unfortunately, the great post-war mass of wealth now sits in the accounts of dated, misery gutses who have lost track of the broader world and now can't cope with it. The old farts are like a millstone around the necks of those trying to get on with the reality of this century.

The Greens understand some of this, but they're still falling for the trap of arguing with the outdated old bastards as outsiders and radicals, rather than just assuming control. This says to me they don't quite grasp how much the world has changed, and what their role is as inheritors of that change. The old bastards they're arguing with don't need defeating; they're already finished. Gone, kaput; too staid to catch up. Now they're just spoilers; annoying, to be sure, but still on their way out.

And this lack of inside stance; this inability to assume mainstream responsibility for the world shows in the Greens' lack of practical economic clout. Conventional economics and old hierarchical business is laughable; it is going the way of the Dodo, but there's not a Greens-styled business in sight to replace it. If you can't re-write economics for the times, and if you can't embrace the new opportunities of business for the times, then you can't re-write employment, health, housing and education for the times, either.

That's my problem with the Greens. So, with the bumbling old denialist farts on one side, the yapping teenage rebel alternative on the other, and sheepish, cowardly ALP in between, I've basically wiped the lot of them as a waste of time. I'm personally looking for solutions elsewhere now.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:25 am

Mars?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:43 am

^Mars is a hell of a lot closer to us than the nineteenth century, and even 1950!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:13 am

Tannin wrote:
Mars?

.....the Oort Cloud ? Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:15 am

3.14159 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

<*******************>

Next time I'll tell you what I really think. Rolling Eyes

Thanks, but if I want your opinion, i'll watch the Blot Report!

Humble apologies, it seems I seriously over estimated your intelligence. Thanks for clearing that up.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:23 am

My pleasure.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:
3.14159 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

<*******************>

Next time I'll tell you what I really think. Rolling Eyes

Thanks, but if I want your opinion, i'll watch the Blot Report!

Humble apologies, it seems I seriously over estimated your intelligence. Thanks for clearing that up.

There's a lot of insincere apologies going around the last few days and here we have Stui Magpie (arch Conservative) "aping" them!
Rolling Eyes

I've lost count how many times you've bashed the Unions over the last few years.
Your the first to put the boot in and your the last to take it out when it comes to Labour and Unions
Everything you say I can hear (for myself) on the Bolt report so my comment was just an attempt to save us both time!
If calling you a "notorious Union basher" is in any way offensive it really is time for you to toughen up and grow a pair because the truth isn't slander!
(Your mate Joe Hockey found that out!)
.Face it, you don't like Unions and you never have, denying it makes me question not so much your intelligence but your self awareness,
(are you really that self delusional?)
Anyway, apology (such as it is) accepted and I can assure you over-estimating your intelligence is a mistake I'll never make!
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:18 pm

Lifted from the "Liberal cess-pit" thread.

David wrote:
regan is true fullback wrote:
let us remember something, in a bipartisan way...

The office of Speaker is not a Ministry. It is an office of Parliament. the nearest equivalent is that of Governor General, Ambassador to London or the Chief Justice. So while it is a normal convention that the Government of the day appoints such offices, they are nominally independent.

Hawkey had a bit of trouble with Hayden overspending as GG. no doubt there were other GGs who acted improperly spending wise, such as Kerr. But as the representative of the Lord's Anointed in this realm, the GG gets privileges that us mere mortals can only wonder at.

The Speaker, on the other hand, is appointed by parliament, not executive government. It therefore behooves the speaker, like the mysterious Black Rod, to maintain a higher standard of behaviour than your average MP.

Bronwyn has not. Her blatant political bias, for a start, would go reasonably well as president of the Liberal Party or Chief Whip, but not as chief arbiter of Parliament. Again, her snout in trough behaviour belittles the office of Speaker, the chief officer of parliament.

I agree, but so long as the speaker remains a government MP charged with advancing the government's interests, the position will remain a total farce. Bronwyn Bishop is an extreme case, but the real problem is structural. Until the rules are changed to allow someone from outside parliament to sit in the chair, we'll have this problem.

David, you started this thread asking why I "dislike/find irelevent" anything the Greens say!

This is the most biased speaker this country has ever seen!
She is charged with setting the standards for M.P's yet smashes them aside simply saying (basically)" I thought it was all right, I've been rorting the public purse for 30 years,everyone else was doing it why should it stop now???"
Under her stewardship Democracy has taken a huge hit!
She shields the Government from answering questions in question time, takes lessons from the re-education Mininster while she is sitting in the chair and throws out any opposition that that dares to gainsay her political party members.
Slipper was hounded from the chair for far less and still she sits there "Butt Abbott's self-confessed Fairy Godfather (or something like that) deaf to the overwhelming cries for her resignation.
The P.M is a man with a duty to set similar standards but he falls at every and each hurdle and his silence on this issue is deafening!!!
81% of Australians think she should resign yet all you (the Greens) want to do is sit on your collective hands and mumble some piffle about sorting out benefits sometime in the future and other-wise ignoring what is a criminal breach of her parliamentary entitlements.
She's had umpteen chances to fess up.
She was put on "probation" (w-e that means?) was found to have reoffended so she says "sorry" and all is forgiven and she is still speaker.
Is she (and Abbott) serious???
Try pulling a stunt like that with the ATO and you'd be in slammer by sun-down!
Your response is...
"Yes isn't it awful, but she's just an extreme example, the problem is structural... (are you serious???)

If you (and the Greens) want to be taken seriously, get off the fence because Abbott is the greatest threat to the environment and democracy this country has seen in a long time.
If you don't want to join the fight to get rid off him that's fine but don't expect any love from Labour because you and your party really don't deserve it!

Last edited by 3.14159 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:53 pm

You write as if I'm some kind of representative of the party. I'm not even a member!

While I find Bishop's bizarre behaviour amusing and am happy to see it costing the government credibility, it's still a bit of a sideshow, really. When she steps down (as she most likely will, given her lack of support in the party room), I won't be surprised if the Liberals find someone just as one-eyed and unreasonable to replace her. That's why I'm advocating structural reform. I also have a general distaste for individual scandals and argued as much during the Thomson and Slipper affairs, because I think it's a distraction from the important stuff.

But those are just my views, not necessarily those of the Greens. If anything, I expect they'll back the no-confidence vote, and there have already been Greens politicians speaking out about her behaviour:

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bronwyn-bishops-5000-helicopter-ride-to-liberal-fundraiser-fails-the-sniff-test-joe-hockey-20150716-gidee9.html

What more do you want them to do, exactly? In what way are the Greens 'on the fence' regarding Abbott when it's Labor that happens to be supporting some of their worst legislation (data retention, refugees, whistleblower legislation etc.)?

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:23 pm

David wrote:
You write as if I'm some kind of representative of the party. I'm not even a member!

While I find Bishop's bizarre behaviour amusing and am happy to see it costing the government credibility, it's still a bit of a sideshow, really. When she steps down (as she most likely will, given her lack of support in the party room), I won't be surprised if the Liberals find someone just as one-eyed and unreasonable to replace her. That's why I'm advocating structural reform. I also have a general distaste for individual scandals and argued as much during the Thomson and Slipper affairs.

You crack me up!
You find Bishop bizarre behaviour amusing"?
She's taken $100,000's of thousands of dollars in travel entitlements she wasn't entitled too. TOLD us repaying the money was the sincerest form apology (while stating she did nothing wrong, was put on probation, was found to not paid back more money to go to several weddings (one of which she later claimed was done after she a private and confidential meeting with an unnamed person in relation to her position on a sharing work/home-life balance for the Department of Health, the president of which knew nothing about this meeting or why what-ever it was Bishop was investigating and she thought it was all right???
Yes Minister would have reject that plot line as "too unbelievable!"
How on Earth are you going to get structural reform when you allow crap like this occur in what is the center of our democratic capital???

You been like blood-hound on the trail of wounded fox when-ever there is "pronouncement" from the Royal Commission into Labour leaders, past present and future so so much for "I have a general distaste for personal scandals"...phhht, hog-wash!

Of course your not a rep of the Party but the Party is full of people just like you.
No eye for the main game!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:55 pm

3.14159 wrote:

Anyway, apology (such as it is) accepted and I can assure you over-estimating your intelligence is a mistake I'll never make!

I'm pretty sure you're right there.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:57 pm

Are they exactly the same? Oh you can, can you?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:30 pm

What makes you think I'd allow this stuff to occur? Of course I think she should walk the plank over this. I just don't see it as an issue with the fraction of national significance of, say, the TPP or funding for renewables (two areas in which the Greens haven't taken their eye off the ball these past few weeks).

As for Shorten, I do actually share much of your disgust with the Royal Commission charade. But it just so happens that it's overridden by my deep feeling of despair about the direction of the ALP at the moment, much of which can be lain at the feet of its leadership. If nothing else, Shorten is Abbott's greatest chance of winning the next election right now.

You misread my desire to get rid of Shorten at all costs with a desire to destroy the ALP. On the contrary, I think if the party is to survive it needs to wrest power from the Bill Shorten types in the party ASAP.

Last edited by David on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:55 pm

Lay off Bishop, fellers. B. Bishop has done more good for the country in the last three weeks than in the entire remainder of her career. Thanks to her, the Abbott misgovernment is hopelessly unelectable now, and may never recover. Let's show her our gratitude and give her a free helicopter, all expenses paid!

(Yes, I know, she's already got one. Lets give her another one.)

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:42 pm

David wrote:
1. What makes you think I'd allow this stuff to occur? Of course I think she should walk the plank over this. I just don't see it as an issue with the fraction of national significance of, say, the TPP or funding for renewables (two areas in which the Greens haven't taken their eye off the ball these past few weeks).

2. As for Shorten, I do actually share much of your disgust with the Royal Commission charade. But it just so happens that it's overridden by my deep feeling of despair about the direction of the ALP at the moment, much of which can be lain at the feet of its leadership. If nothing else, Shorten is Abbott's greatest chance of winning the next election right now.

3. You misread my desire to get rid of Shorten at all costs with a desire to destroy the ALP. On the contrary, I think if the party is to survive it needs to wrest power from the Bill Shorten types in the party ASAP.

1. You said it was an "side-show" and of "little national significance", I disagree.
It goes to the very root of what is wrong with this Government!
It does not understand (or value) the Australian people and places liberal M.P's effectively "above the law"!
If the Government doesn't understand that defrauding the Australian taxpayer is wrong (and very relevant) it is incumbent on Us to do something about it because they WILL NOT reform the system unless we make them!!!
An internal structural review is like asking foxes to design a fox proof chicken coup
and you know what, call me a sceptic but I don't trust them to do it!

The TTP and funding renewables are important but they are just symptoms of what is wrong with this country, Tony Abbott and his born to rule mentality!
Get rid of him (and his friends, including his fairy God mother) and we can get on with funding renewable energy and lets have look at what is actually on the table with the TTP because we (the people that have a right to know what it is we are trading away!
(We've had so many "trade deals" the only chip we have left to play with is "Economic penalties to foreign companies" if these deals are ever challenged by legislation!
Yes the Greens have said something on this issue but so has Clive Palmer and he was right on the money too!

2. How can you say "share much the disgust" of the abuse of Royal Commissions when you hang on their every pronouncement?
Your on record as saying your opposed to bullying (in all it's forms) but don't have any problem with Bill Shorten being put under the microscope, blow-torch and media spotlight if the person being subjected to this most destructive and extreme POLITICAL bullying is Bill Shorten????
Not a word have you uttered about the appalling waste of time, money and wood pulp!!! not to mention bringing another pillar of democracy down to this gutter level!!!
You don't like the direction of the ALP so you'll resort to anything to tear Bill Shorten down!
How very Green of you!

3. I think if the party is to survive it needs to wrest power from the Bill Shorten types.

OK, but I think if Democracy is to survive it has to wrest power away from from those seek to destroy it.
I don't believe it is under attack in any meaningful way by the shorten types but even if it was Abbott (and his fairy god-mother) is much greater threat and should be dealt with first!

p.s Why-when did I start really mistrusting the Greens?
When they forced an ETS on the ALP!
When Labour said it wouldn't adopt the Greens "idealistic" 20th Century rooted Asylum seeker policy they threw tantrum, they went into sulk mode, crossed the floor and pulled the teeth of Mining tax and did bugger all till the election except make proper government impossible.
If political parties want to implement their policies they have to be in government to do it and to be in government a party needs policies that the public are in favour of.
This is a point the Greens have NEVER understood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: