Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor to turn back the boats.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

nomadjack wrote:
According to your argument it is the bottom line. They're your words Tannin.

Bottom line for the specific scenario David outlined, as I made clear in the first place and as I have explicitly explained above for your benefit. You are quoting me out of context in such a way as to distort the meaning I made perfectly clear and thus pretend that I said something completely different. If you persist with this nonsense tactic then there is no point in further conversation.

The simple fact is that local policy settings have indeed impacted on the level of arrivals - stopped them completely in fact - so any argument that they do not have an effect is obvious nonsense.

I suspect that what you are really trying to say is, given a baseline where there are restraints on free entry but arrival is nevertheless permitted, then the nature and harshness of those restraints makes little difference to arrival numbers. If that is the case, then I agree. The evidence for that is quite clear, and we have seen it for ourselves over the Howard, Rudd and Gillard years. The cost (years of detention, camp conditions, and so on) has little effect on the demand. Or, as I said in the first place:

Tannin wrote:
we can see that the elasticity of demand is very low ..... But when price drops to zero because supply is effectively infinite ... demand increases massively up to the point where all available demand is satisfied. Conversely, when supply drops to zero (as per Rudd II and Abbott policy), the curve no longer applies and no transactions take place. We don't have to guess this or theorise it, we know it from observed facts on the public record.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:38 am

As far as I can see, the argument that "the boats have stopped" is a red herring. That's a superficial claim that could be made just as well if we were torpedoing vessels in the Indian Ocean or enclosing Australia in a plastic dome, Mr. Burns style. It tells us nothing about deterrence. What we really want to know is, how many refugees in the region are still leaving their place of origin by boat?

If the answer is zero, then your argument is correct: Rudd and Abbott have killed the boat trade. But if it's not, then we don't really know what effect our policies have had (whether it be a massive deterrent, slight deterrent or no deterrent at all), unless of course someone can produce data to that effect. So far, it's all conjecture as far as I can tell, and obviously the government's fog of secrecy isn't helping.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 am

Bah, we already know the answer. None.

(Some may be leaving and then going back again. That is neither here nor there. Some may be going to other places. That too is irrelevant.)

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:46 am

^ The above suggests to me that data on a political matter is of limited use when people want to believe the contrary. Someone who does not ilke that the data says, will always shift the goalposts by challenging the experimental conditions, the influence of exogenous variables, hypothesis construction, or whatever. I do it myself, of course. We all do.

In this case the data shows clearly enough to my satisfaction that the boat arrivals are hugely influenced by Aust Government policy - as one would expect. The debate shoudl really be about whether the policy (and its intentions, execution and implicaitons) are honourable or not.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:48 am

Do you think I am that person?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:32 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ The above suggests to me that data on a political matter is of limited use when people want to believe the contrary. Someone who does not ilke that the data says, will always shift the goalposts by challenging the experimental conditions, the influence of exogenous variables, hypothesis construction, or whatever. I do it myself, of course. We all do.

In this case the data shows clearly enough to my satisfaction that the boat arrivals are hugely influenced by Aust Government policy - as one would expect. The debate shoudl really be about whether the policy (and its intentions, execution and implicaitons) are honourable or not.

Then you are either very easily satisfied, or you have a topic-specific brain malfunction like Tannin. You're in effect saying: "Here's my primary school mathematical and logical error, and sloppy, pre-scientific Sunday School approach to trying to understand a very complex, remote world phenomenon; I can't work out why all these unkind people don't just accept John Howard's bar chart and leave it at that." Laughing

You're taking a mathematically dumb notion (the wonderful public relations world of Howard's bar chart), blending it with an unheard of a priori assumption ("government policy is surely always effective"), stirring in some plain old absurdity ("all policy actions imaginable are moral and reasonable"), and then conflating that hullabaloo with your fear that if you don't tie this down now, in one shot for all time, in twenty years Australia will look like an impoverished Indian city and people will be floating their dead down the Yarra and beating their washing by the Hawkesbury whilst munching on Halal Four 'N Twenties!

Forgive us for our sceptical eye! Laughing

Unfortunately for you, there is zero evidence of relevance, within a framework of reasonable human solutions, which supports the present cowardly delay of responsibility. Howard's bar chart is not meaningful evidence of anything, and certainly not anything statistical; it's political campaign material. What brand of analysis do you imagine you're doing here by working feverishly to confirm gut-level fears? And, lest you use your usual out of saying my post lacks argumentation because I have padded it with rhetorical jibes, let me enumerate some of the great set of extremely dubious—if not outright erroneous—claims your view is tacitly based on:

You claim to know poor folk have no ties of significance and just arbitrarily up and leave their homelands on the basis of whims and fancies; you claim to know the journey to Australia is a likely one and you can even comprehend its complexity and cost and risk calculations; you claim to know only rich folk in collectivist cultures can pull together the money to pay people smugglers; you claim to know the finer points of Australian policy even reaches people and they even believe or understand it when it somehow does; you claim you know the broad global correlation of people movements matching arrivals can be overridden by government "signals"; you claim to know that even if the message happens to reach people's ears that any Australian response short of death will register as less preferable to any other available option in the minds of traumatised, panicked and desperate people who have already pinned their hopes on the mercy of a rich country or the will of god; you claim to know that the high rate of valid claims historically is somehow a mischief to be dismissed and ignored, along with prior global conventions; you claim you know that Abbott's blackout will be effective and miraculously also fail just enough to allow your ears—but not the ears of people smugglers—to find out the full and meaningful facts which will of course then "confirm" your initial primary school maths error; you claim to know dealing with this issue irresponsibly and negligently will have no political ramifications for the nation; and you pretend, in the distracting din of all those non-sequiturs, that towing people away has something to do with a sustainable solution to a global challenge which is only going to get worse.

As with the Iraq invasion, such an approach is incredibly arbitrary for a social science problem of this complexity, and very negligent for a problem which affects this many human lives. Blurting out approved conservative election campaign PR, and then scurrying about Wikipedia looking for evidence to support it, driven by very primitive, over-generalised fears, does not amount to respectable problem solving.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Another problem we need to return to is that, even if we could demonstrate that government policy is significantly deterring people from trying to get to Australia (and while I've seen no data on that, it is at least somewhat plausible), we don't know what percentage of the 'deterred' aren't simply hopping on a boat to somewhere else. These are hugely important details for people who support the current policies on humanitarian grounds (i.e. stopping deaths at sea).

Because, if people are still making it most of the way to Australia before being turned back, there is still the risk of deaths at sea. If people are getting on a boat to Indonesia or Malaysia or Thailand, there is still the risk of deaths at sea. If people are opting to stay in camps instead, there is still the risk of death by starvation, or disease, or persecution.

A policy based on saving lives has to be shown to be saving more lives than it is costing. That should be obvious. Can any of the defenders of this policy demonstrate that this is the case here?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:19 pm

It's just disingenuous doublespeak. We used to recognise this a couple of decades back but it seems that our collective critical distance from the garbage spat out by the poisonous lizards we elect has somewhat dissipated.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:02 pm

David wrote:
Another problem we need to return to is that, even if we could demonstrate that government policy is significantly deterring people from trying to get to Australia (and while I've seen no data on that, it is at least somewhat plausible), we don't know what percentage of the 'deterred' aren't simply hopping on a boat to somewhere else. These are hugely important details for people who support the current policies on humanitarian grounds (i.e. stopping deaths at sea).

Because, if people are still making it most of the way to Australia before being turned back, there is still the risk of deaths at sea. If people are getting on a boat to Indonesia or Malaysia or Thailand, there is still the risk of deaths at sea. If people are opting to stay in camps instead, there is still the risk of death by starvation, or disease, or persecution.

A policy based on saving lives has to be shown to be saving more lives than it is costing. That should be obvious. Can any of the defenders of this policy demonstrate that this is the case here?

Haven't you heard? Those towed away return home to their palatial residences to scheme up new ways of jumping the queue. Others just shrug and say it was worth a try, adding it to their resumes under Other Activities in a bid to look adventurous. Of course, the really lucky ones seek the opulence and safety of refugee camps elsewhere in the region. Laughing

It's one fantasy after the next in aid of avoiding serious problem solving and moral complexity. How else are you going to defeat the marauding brown hordes which invade in the night from their Jungian depositories?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 pm

Yep. Did you know that they get to live in those refugee camps for free? I'm a little surprised we haven't all raced off to do that ourselves.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:10 pm

But the reality is that government policy DOES influence arrival numbers. It has, in point of fact, reduced illegal arrivals to zero. Repeat, ZERO. None. Nil.

The constant bleating of people who don't like the way that Rudd II and Abbott have achieved this carries on in blind, willful, and astonishingly pig-headed ignorance of the facts - facts not even the bleaters can deny.

(I don't like the way they've done it either, it's appalling and more worthy of a South American dictatorship than of this once-fine country. But the fact remains that the policy settings have worked. I would like to deny that coz I despise Rudd and think even less of Abbott, but - unlike the bleating heart brigade - I pay attention to proven facts.)

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:15 pm

Well, you might dislike the bleating heart brigade; heck, there's an entire half or more of the electorate devoted solely to reacting against them.

One of the problems here is that you're fighting a side battle in a much greater war of instability. The adult issues here look nothing like the trite campaign cowardice Beazley acquiesced to all those years ago now.

Here we are, almost a decade-and-a-half later, and the adult problem grows. Whether the burden of that problem is towed away to a remote camp somewhere, or placed on Australia's standing in the region, or shifted onto dead Rohingya, it it is being only temporarily dealt with on the basis of a general Australian ignorance of geography, and a usual lack of emotional discipline.

Have people even noticed what is happened worldwide? A retreat to the hills beyond Ballarat might make you feel a sense of resolution (half your luck!), but it has no bearing on this very high-risk, very challenging problem.

Just take the Indonesia relationship. I mean, as if nothing could ever go wrong there in the midst of such human unity, geological stability and geographic coherence Laughing

The risks build and the threats grow because, unlike the post-war Anglo-European world of our parents, the peoples and countries in our region and similar are still working towards their new settlement wars, trade blocks and Marshall Plans.

Iraq was a turning point in so many ways, especially for the really dumb who somehow missed the message of Vietnam. The peasants are now too sophisticated to control in the old ways. The populations are too big; the technology too transferable; the economic transactions too networked; the death of each and every young person mercifully better-documented; the TV crews and mobile phones too ubiquitous.

Throw in an expected rise of extreme weather events and the ever-present threat of contagious disease, under conditions of massive population growth, and you're not playing tiddly winks that can be managed with Abbott's unsinkable orange dinghies. Almost every serious problem now is a potential Iraq. Everyone you get offside is someone who won't help you in a disaster. Every political enemy is a potential ally of some outfit gone wrong. All that under conditions of economic decline and widening social instability and childish bitterness in the old power countries.

The adult response is not to double-down on the mega failure of Iraq group think. It's to stop feeling so self-entitled and being so immature that we imagine towing away the reality of the world for a few election cycles is a solution without costs. Thirteen plus years and still no adult solution; thirteen plus years and the budget costs mount while the cost of basics like education go through the roof; thirteen plus years and global people movements are at another high; thirteen plus years and Asia is even more unstable; thirteen plus years and the Aussie economy is even more locked into the dirty old commodity cycle; thirteen plus years and the arrogant and juvenile thought process behind Iraq and Tampa carries on.

This whole childish longing for the life of the rural nineteenth-century feudal lord has got to be smashed and quick smart. I for one am tired for paying for other people's lack of discipline, world ignorance, and outright negligence.

The battle you're focusing on is not the right one because even if we get rid of Abbott the same negligent scaremongering and cost-shifting will simply appear in the very next election campaign. Meanwhile, global populations keeps rising, and the dependence of our well-being on the good of the whole keeps growing.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 pm

^ An amusing rant (well, it amused me, nearly everyone else will just say TLDR) but one lacking in any kind of focus or - because of that lack of focus - point.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ An amusing rant (well, it amused me, nearly everyone else will just say TLDR) but one lacking in any kind of focus or - because of that lack of focus - point.

Nice effort to dig into the meme toolbox to silence opposition while maintaining the undisciplined, childish cost-shifting of present policy.

You're out-of-date and way too local on this for a thinker of your calibre. Not getting stale in your old age, are you?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 am

Whinge away chum. So far as I can tell from your recent rants, you don't even know what my views on this topic are. If you would prefer to have a useful and possibly even productive discussion (as opposed to just an excuse for more ranting), perhaps a sensible starting point would be for you to briefly outline my views as you understand them. Then we can either clarify your understanding and move on to more productive territory, or (possibly) agree that your present understanding is more-or-less correct and we can move the discussion on from there.

(You keep telling world + dog how wrong my views are, but so far as I can tell from your (frankly rather disjointed) rambles, you don't seem to have a decent grasp on what those views you oppose so firmly actually are. I have outlined them at various times on these pages, but it's not really fair to expect anyone to have read every post, let alone remember it all.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: