Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 14 - Frankston vs Collingwood at Frankston Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the commentary MB! Great stuff! Very Happy

Also a big thanks to those who attended and provided their thoughts on how the players performed today. From what I can gather Moore will probably be picked for next week's match mainly because of Cloke's injury and would it be worth bringing in Marsh at the expense of someone like Toovey or did Marsh not do enough to justify selection for next week's game?

Last edited by Jezza on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:57 am

Stats are in, courtesy of BigFooty poster grimlock...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:04 am

Jezza wrote:
Thanks again for the commentary MB! Great stuff! Very Happy

Also a big thanks to those who attended and provided their thoughts on how the players performed today. From what I can gather Moore will probably be picked for next week's match mainly because of Cloke's injury and would it be worth bringing in Marsh at the expense of someone like Toovey or did Marsh not do enough to justify selection for next week's game?

Glad you enjoyed it.

Marsh made a case, but I'd much rather have him in for an Oxley or a Maynard over a Toovey, who at least kept his man goalless.

Moore will indeed probably be in for Cloke by default.

Karnezis should also be considered to offer another avenue to goal in the forward line...

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:39 am

perthmagpie wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
perthmagpie wrote:
Seedsman can play the role of Goldsack.

Seedsman is more of an inside player and Goldsack an outside player ...

Sorry it was a post as part of the running dick jokes... Moore Cox etc...

Pretty sure that's what he was playing to
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:30 am

Player review...

2. Sam Dwyer
Decent game playing at the top of the midfield batting order. Picked up the 22 disposals and was probably our best user of the pill on the day. Made a credible case for a recall, but I'd prefer to go for others, is possible. Serviceable depth and would not rend my garments if he got a senior berth.

12. Matthew Scharenberg
Thought he turned in a serviceable game on the whole. At half time, I said he needed to get more urgent with his pressure, a comment I stand by even in light of his season-high of 6 tackles (the majority of which I would not be surprised to find out came after the main break). Collected the 20 disposals, a tick over his season average of 19, and was generally using it pretty well. But against this quality of opposition, I was perhaps hoping for a more dominant display. Is tracking in the right direction though.

14. Clinton Young
Was very ordinary. 16 disposals, the last few of which were kicks which found targets forward of centre. Was hoping for him to put in a strong game to mount an alternative to Seedsman, but was very underwhelmed. Finished with 5 tackles though, so that's something.

17. Jonathan Marsh
Put in yet another good game. 18 disposals and 4 marks at CHB, but surprisingly no tackles, which might harm his chances in the eyes of the committee. I'd like to see him get an opportunity in place of maybe an Oxley or ahead of Goldsack, but I suspect the selectors will opt for experience. Is set to get the aid of Ben Reid again next week, if not called up.

30. Darcy Moore
Looked ominous in the first 5 to 10 minutes playing deep forward, but disappeared almost completely out of the game for the better part of the next two quarters. Positioning inside 50 was poor at times. Got up the ground a bit more after half time and had a little bit more of an influence, before bobbing up in the last stanza for a couple of goals and a nice mark in the goal square. Will get the recall because of Cloke, but wasn't a 'pick me' game. That being said, he did draw the primary defender and their attention in the form of the perennial 3rd man up in Buchan, which allowed Close to have a day out, so his impotent first three quarters weren't entirely for nothing...

33. Patrick Karnezis
Turned in a decent enough performance playing midfield, finishing with 25 disposals (the majority as a linkman) but more importantly, 7 tackles, as well as a nice set-shot goal. The loss of Cloke and the absence of Elliott means we have need of another avenue to goal, especially with the Bulldogs' cadre of intercept marking/rebounding defenders. His magnet should definitely be on the board.

38. Matthew Goodyear
Finished with a measly 9 disposals and a goal, playing it seems mainly as a defensive forward and mid. I know the coaches love the guys who stick to their role, but I'm not sure negating a player in a team which hasn't won a game all year is really worthy enough of an accomplishment to warrant getting into the bests ahead of our best two mids in Moloney and Hellier, for example. He seems a high character kid, but I just can't go along with this whole 'points for turning up' thing.

39. Michael Manteit
Undoubtedly his best game for us. Collected 22 disposals, a couple of nice marks and a goal from a wing. Bounced back from a rather lean outing against the Bulldogs.

46. Mason Cox
From a statistical point of view, his best game for us. 45 hitouts, 10 disposals, 3 tackles, 5 marks and a goal courtesy of one of those marks and a 50. Won the hitouts more courtesy of his height against undersized rucks, but some of his tapwork was excellent and even ingenious at times. Could have broken double digits in the mark tally, but dropped some real sitters that even someone like him should have gobbled up and made some comical mistakes at other times in the game. Still, you have to acknowledge his improvement. Faces a likely re-match with Mark Jamar next week, who took him apart last time.

From our VFL boys...

- Ben Moloney was by far the 'real' BoG. 30 disposals, 9 tackles, 7 Inside 50s and a goal. Having his best season and if the fluro muppets are paying attention (which they usually don't), then he could be a smoky for the Liston on the back of his year to date. Geez, I love this bloke. His absence from the last encounter with Casey was the difference, in my view, so having him in the side again next week will be a massive gain from the last time the two sides met.

- Jack Hellier just keeps on delivering. Our 2nd best mid for the day, finishing up with 26 disposals, 7 tackles and 8 Inisde 50s. When Frankston looked like wrestling their way back into the contest, the captain did what good captains do and stood up. Some of his roving to Cox's taps was just a delight to watch. Obviously appreciated the freedom of playing more minutes in his natural habitat that is the midfield, after Kennedy's promotion to his rightful place in the senior side. I love this bloke as well.

- Good to see Gussy Borthwick back after a bit of an absence. Turned in a serviceable 16 touch game, adding a bit more grunt and pluck to the midfield. Was another who kept the tackle count ticking over, with 7 of his own. Will be interesting to see if he can hold his spot in the side with an expected influx of AFL returnees next week. We like him.

- Ryan Pendlebury had 16 disposals, 6 marks and 6 Rebound 50s, but %$^£$%^&%% me, were any of his touches clean? I swear to Jock, he fumbled just about every touch he got. Not one of his better games, for mine, but he's been super all year for us, so he can be excused a less-than-stellar game. You'll never take me alive, skipper!

- Ash Close bounced back in the best way possible after a shocking debut last week. Gave us a good target inside 50, strong on the lead and in contests, eventually collecting 9 marks which were converted into 3 goals (his fourth was a snap from general play). Covered some territory as a CHF, even took a centre bounce on a wing once or twice. With Moore's likely return to the seniors, I look forward to seeing how he pairs with Gault. We'll need him to deliver the goods again next week if we're to win against a strong Casey outfit. Welcome to the team, Ash.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:32 am

Replay's up:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-07-19/vfl-r14-pies-v-dolphins-1st-quarter

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-07-19/vfl-r14-pies-v-dolphins-2nd-quarter

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-07-19/vfl-r14-pies-v-dolphins-3rd-quarter

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-07-19/vfl-r14-pies-v-dolphins-4th-quarter

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:55 am

Mugwump wrote:
Excellent, thanks. Because of the nature of a "highlights text" call, Cox sounded like BOG, so it's good to get that perspective.

Thanks for the update on Schara. Hopefully he is building his confidence after a nasty setback via the ACL. Any word on Ben Sinclair ? I rate him far more highly than you, and thought he'ds be up for a recall this week, but not now, alas.

No worries.

On Sinclair, I have no idea what happened to him to cause him to miss. Balme might be able to tell us more later today.

You're right, I don't particularly rate him, but with Ramsay out of action for the moment and Toovey in a bit of a slump, we need him around.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:19 am

What happened to Gault?
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:28 am

sinkers and gault both carrying injuries. on goodyear, it was a good lesson in playing a run with role (#14) for the entire game. stuck to the task admirably.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:01 am

Interesting that Moore only had 10 disposals.
Not very good.
PK had 25 disposals and 7 tackles - he must be in line for a recall.
Is it worth rookie listing Moloney?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:13 pm

John Wren wrote:
sinkers and gault both carrying injuries. on goodyear, it was a good lesson in playing a run with role (#14) for the entire game. stuck to the task admirably.

Thanks for the Info - Well watching the game us Fans do not know that

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:17 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Interesting that Moore only had 10 disposals.
Not very good.
PK had 25 disposals and 7 tackles - he must be in line for a recall.
Is it worth rookie listing Moloney?

Well the Ball did not got a Ton towards Moore it seemed for most of the Game to go Towards Close. He had a Solid Game and Showed quite a few Glimpses

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Finalised stats and player observations...

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-07-22/vfl-stats-and-comment-round-14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14   

Jump to: