Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match: Pies pipped again . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

bkelly123 wrote:
jackcass wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
Moore deserves to hold his spot next week I reckon.

Yep, telling 4 possession 1 point game.

I'd love to see Darcy given a chance to play as a defender in the seniors, he has played some great games in defence at VFL level, and at this stage of his development, I think that that is where the majority of his strengths lie.

Now that he's been moved forward I'd like to see them persevere with him there. Certainly given some pointers he's more than capable there.

And if it came to a choice between him and Maynard, hard to argue that Maynard should go to give Moore a further opportunity. I know Maynard made a couple of telling mistakes but as with Moore there were positives. Be interesting to see what happens with Schulz at the MRP but defensive structure seems better with Maynard.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:36 am

Cold comfort but we probably learned more from losing the last 2 games than winning them. Eight players went into Friday's game with a combined total of 138 games experience. Witts, Frost, Langdon, De Goey, Broomhead, Oxley, Maynard and Moore. Amazing effort
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:25 pm

We should forget about development and just pick the best 22 available. Just who that is will be determined by form in the seniors and reserves.
bkelly123 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:28 pm

Dangles wrote:
We should forget about development and just pick the best 22 available. Just who that is will be determined by form in the seniors and reserves.

It could be argued that the team we played on Friday was close to our best 22 available, there are a lot of guys out or not up to scratch in the vfl. Maynard and Moore have been fantastic in the vfl so you can't blame bucks for selecting them with the aim of them playing well, regardless of developement. After that game, bucks will reasses the best 22 we have available to play, and I think at least one of moore and Maynard will remain in the side.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:59 pm

Dangles wrote:

Too one dimensional an outlook IMHO, excellence in the reservers needs to be rewarded. Bucks said when he took over the job that they would pick the best available regardless of age, experience etc.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:35 pm

You criticized what I said and then agreed with it. Confused
bkelly123 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Dangles wrote:
You just agreed with me.

I think excellence in the reserves and developement can coincide.... Which is the case for a number of players that could or have got tent he call-up (DeGoey, Maynard, Moore, Marsh, Scharenberg etc)
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:52 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Cold comfort but we probably learned more from losing the last 2 games than winning them. Eight players went into Friday's game with a combined total of 138 games experience. Witts, Frost, Langdon, De Goey, Broomhead, Oxley, Maynard and Moore. Amazing effort

No doubt. Building like this is one of the joys of footy—no need to apologise.

Nearly 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
Nearly wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
You see Rioli kick 5 goals and it's easy to say it was Tooves fault.

There was a couple of times when Rioli appeared to get loose (didn't always get the ball) which I didn't like. The unforgivable one was when Bruest had marked on the boundary line and Marley was caught deep between 2 Hawks Rioli started to drop back and away to the other side and Marley should have covered him while someone else come over to cover marley's man. By the time Markey realised he was 30m on his own and Bruest had spotted him and another easy shot from relatively in front of goal.

Disagree with this. I saw that unfold and Marley was fully aware of what Rioli was doing. He had to try and cover both but couldn't leave the man in the goal until the kicker was committed else the kick would just have gone there. Once the kicker committed Marley tried to get to Rioli but was never gonna make it.

Just smart play by Rioli to take advantage of a 2 on 1. Nothing else Marley could do.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. Marley started to bolt when we realised the kick was going to go to him. Rioli was the more dangerous as he was running to the fat side space. At worse if he goes to the other guy it's a tougher shot in the pocket. All he has to do is call for someone to cover him as he was the closest to Rioli and had to go. I reckon if it was Frost he would have gone whether we cover the other guy on the skinny side well who knows but you always need to cover the more dangerous option.

I'll have to watch that again, thought the other guy was pretty much in the goal square rather than the thin side. If that was the case then totally agree.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:05 pm

bkelly123 wrote:
Dangles wrote:
You just agreed with me.

I think excellence in the reserves and developement can coincide.... Which is the case for a number of players that could or have got tent he call-up (DeGoey, Maynard, Moore, Marsh, Scharenberg etc)

Never said it couldn't. But at this stage we should be trying to go as far as we can this year which means picking the best 22 should be the priority.
Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:16 am

Jezza wrote:
Kwah-LeBaire wrote:
Before the season started, most people were saying we'd struggle to make the eight. Now they're complaining because we haven't locked up a top four position. Yes, there are areas that could use some improvement, but, bloody hell, this side is traveling okay. Two first gamers played last night, in what was a close-run loss to the reigning premiers. Impressive.

I see constant improvement, with a huge upside to the team. I am loving their efforts and expect to see better things over the next three years.

Mr. Buckley, take a bow.

Quality post! I think it's amazing how far we've come considering I never believed we would finish in the top eight let alone be pushing for a spot in the eight.

These two narrow losses to two strong sides hurt but the performances by the playing group have been superb and should be commended by everyone. I honestly didn't think we would get close to beating Fremantle and Hawthorn so the fact that we've lost to them by 10 points or under speaks of our remarkable improvement this year.

Looking at the big picture our future is one of the most exciting you'll see in the league. Hawthorn had 55 more games experience across the board last night and they were more than three years older than us in age so it's remarkable how close the match was when you look at it that way especially playing two debutants in Moore and Maynard as well.

They may have won the match last night with experience and class in the end but Hawthorn is an ageing team with more one crack at the flag if they're lucky and we're a rising team that will be on the up for a long time coming if all goes to plan. The future is bright!

We're on the right track, Lads. The Freo and Hawks game have confirmed this for me. I've seen signs during the year thus far, and now I can stamp the paperwork.....CONFIRMED.

We've jumped a mile compared to what I thought we'd be at this stage. Many things have been fixed compared to the last 2-3 years that have driven me crazy.

I hate losing, but geez I'm rapt for the first time in a long time as to where we are at.

Go the Pies!!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:25 am

Nearly wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
Nearly wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
You see Rioli kick 5 goals and it's easy to say it was Tooves fault.

There was a couple of times when Rioli appeared to get loose (didn't always get the ball) which I didn't like. The unforgivable one was when Bruest had marked on the boundary line and Marley was caught deep between 2 Hawks Rioli started to drop back and away to the other side and Marley should have covered him while someone else come over to cover marley's man. By the time Markey realised he was 30m on his own and Bruest had spotted him and another easy shot from relatively in front of goal.

Disagree with this. I saw that unfold and Marley was fully aware of what Rioli was doing. He had to try and cover both but couldn't leave the man in the goal until the kicker was committed else the kick would just have gone there. Once the kicker committed Marley tried to get to Rioli but was never gonna make it.

Just smart play by Rioli to take advantage of a 2 on 1. Nothing else Marley could do.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. Marley started to bolt when we realised the kick was going to go to him. Rioli was the more dangerous as he was running to the fat side space. At worse if he goes to the other guy it's a tougher shot in the pocket. All he has to do is call for someone to cover him as he was the closest to Rioli and had to go. I reckon if it was Frost he would have gone whether we cover the other guy on the skinny side well who knows but you always need to cover the more dangerous option.

I'll have to watch that again, thought the other guy was pretty much in the goal square rather than the thin side. If that was the case then totally agree.

I haven't re-watched but I'm pretty sure it's Maynard who gets caught between the 2 players. Nice if a first gamer had that sort of confidence but from the narrow focus of the TV, hard to know where the support was going to come from.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Dangles wrote:
But at this stage we should be trying to go as far as we can this year which means picking the best 22 should be the priority.

I fully expect a lot of disagreement here but realistically we are not right up there to win a flag this year. So to me it has to be a very subtle but important balance between winning enough games to possibly make the finals and making sure that we get invaluable game time into your promising youngsters. There are a few more like Shazza, Abbott and (if fit) Freeman etc who will hopefully get a few games before the season is over.
I think that Buck's and the club have got this tight balance right this season and we are obviously ahead of expectations compared to all the "sack Buck's" threads we had at this time last year. It will be bloody fantastic to have a team this time next year where over 95% of the players would have had senior experience thanks to Buck's playing them this year. The years we will peak as a team will begin from 2017 onwards although we might give it a shot in 2016.
What we need is what posters at Nick's never have in abundance - Patience

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:18 am

Lazza wrote:
Dangles wrote:
But at this stage we should be trying to go as far as we can this year which means picking the best 22 should be the priority.

I fully expect a lot of disagreement here but realistically we are not right up there to win a flag this year. So to me it has to be a very subtle but important balance between winning enough games to possibly make the finals and making sure that we get invaluable game time into your promising youngsters. There are a few more like Shazza, Abbott and (if fit) Freeman etc who will hopefully get a few games before the season is over.
I think that Buck's and the club have got this tight balance right this season and we are obviously ahead of expectations compared to all the "sack Buck's" threads we had at this time last year. It will be bloody fantastic to have a team this time next year where over 95% of the players would have had senior experience thanks to Buck's playing them this year. The years we will peak as a team will begin from 2017 onwards although we might give it a shot in 2016.
What we need is what posters at Nick's never have in abundance - Patience

Fail to find anything you say to disagree with other than Freeman or Abbott getting a game this year. It's taken half a season for De Goey to justify his place in the side until the game against Hawthorn. Moore is just too skinny to compete so do we keep gifting him games for the sake of his development. Maynard is different. Saw enough of him in the first half to think we should keep playing him. The mistakes people mention all happened in the second half and were the result of having too much ambition. For a kid playing his first game he slotted perfectly into the backline and plays as a natural half back. Need to give him some slack but that's up to the selectors to persevere with him in the team.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:31 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Fail to find anything you say to disagree with other than Freeman or Abbott getting a game this year. It's taken half a season for De Goey to justify his place in the side until the game against Hawthorn. Moore is just too skinny to compete so do we keep gifting him games for the sake of his development. Maynard is different. Saw enough of him in the first half to think we should keep playing him. The mistakes people mention all happened in the second half and were the result of having too much ambition. For a kid playing his first game he slotted perfectly into the backline and plays as a natural half back. Need to give him some slack but that's up to the selectors to persevere with him in the team.

Agree fully.

As an update to my post, it does look like Freeman will struggle to get a senior game this year due to his hammy problems. With Abbott, he is a chance I reckon if the right opportunity comes along.
I know we are still in 2015 but geez, I cant wait for this amazing bloody ride to get up to another level next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17   

Jump to: