Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Torrent Sites Blocked in Australia(Offical)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because torrents aren't the only way to download this sort of stuff. #fail
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Joel wrote:
It's funny because torrents aren't the only way to download this sort of stuff. #fail

do you use USENET?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 pm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/worlds_best_vpns_fall_flat_in_security_tests/
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Tannin wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/worlds_best_vpns_fall_flat_in_security_tests/

Yeah - I read that IPv6 was hacked because the Torrent Clients who used them did not work after that.

Though some people just Turned off IPv6

VPN’s Companies would hate that Article.

You think something like that would be Fixed you think.

Thanks TANNIN for Link

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:58 pm

IPv6: the Windows Vista of networking.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:10 am

Tannin wrote:
IPv6: the Windows Vista of networking.

Hopefully it be Upgraded from it soon then.

I remember Windows Vista being like a Virus as everything seemed to Crash on it Wink

I am looking at getting a VPN from PIA and that seems not to have the IPv6 Problem

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:11 am

^ Which remionds me of a post I made to that effect in another place more tan a year ago. Let's see if I can hunt it down:

In another place, Tannin wrote:
IPv6 is the Windows Vista of networking. Or possibly the Windows 8. Yep, it's got all the features, yep, it is technically miles ahead of what went before, yep, it is very clever, yep, it's got loads and loads of gee-wiz new features, and yep, everybody hates it because it doesn't work the way they expect it to and it breaks stuff.

IPv6 has failed in the market the way Vista failed. If it was anything remotely like what people wanted, it would have been a huge success by now, but hardly anybody uses it or wants it. Everybody understands IPv4, even your granny can get her mind around it if you make analogies with street addresses and post box numbers. Above all, IPv4 has those non-routable address blocks and with readily available $30 NAT boxes, with only a very basic skill set, anyone can make sure that packets which belong inside the building stay inside the building. Simply, the market does not want IPv6, it wants IPv4 with extra numbers.

To the IPv6 Committee: piss off. We, the rest of the world, don't want your bloated, over-complicated, intrusive Vista of a product. That's why we have been assiduously avoiding it for longer than we have been laughing and pointing at Windows ME. It's been around and been "about to become the future" since before most teenagers were born, since HTML 4 was an RFC awaiting official approval (never mind XML, let alone HTML 5), since OS/2 was a not uncommon operating system, since Netscape Navigator was high-tech and popular, since search meant Yahoo or Alta Vista, since nine years before the very first iPhone was released, and it still hasn't caught on. That's what we people in the trade call a "hint".

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 am

Tannin wrote:
^ Which remionds me of a post I made to that effect in another place more tan a year ago. Let's see if I can hunt it down:

In another place, Tannin wrote:
IPv6 is the Windows Vista of networking. Or possibly the Windows 8. Yep, it's got all the features, yep, it is technically miles ahead of what went before, yep, it is very clever, yep, it's got loads and loads of gee-wiz new features, and yep, everybody hates it because it doesn't work the way they expect it to and it breaks stuff.

IPv6 has failed in the market the way Vista failed. If it was anything remotely like what people wanted, it would have been a huge success by now, but hardly anybody uses it or wants it. Everybody understands IPv4, even your granny can get her mind around it if you make analogies with street addresses and post box numbers. Above all, IPv4 has those non-routable address blocks and with readily available $30 NAT boxes, with only a very basic skill set, anyone can make sure that packets which belong inside the building stay inside the building. Simply, the market does not want IPv6, it wants IPv4 with extra numbers.

To the IPv6 Committee: piss off. We, the rest of the world, don't want your bloated, over-complicated, intrusive Vista of a product. That's why we have been assiduously avoiding it for longer than we have been laughing and pointing at Windows ME. It's been around and been "about to become the future" since before most teenagers were born, since HTML 4 was an RFC awaiting official approval (never mind XML, let alone HTML 5), since OS/2 was a not uncommon operating system, since Netscape Navigator was high-tech and popular, since search meant Yahoo or Alta Vista, since nine years before the very first iPhone was released, and it still hasn't caught on. That's what we people in the trade call a "hint".

So did Microsoft make IPv6?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:37 am

No, it was the one thing worse than a Microsoft design, a committee effort.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:39 am

There must be an alternate universe where OS/2 beat windows, Netscape is still the browser of choice, Facebook was bought by Myspace and killed and Alta Vista's popularity prevented Google from being any more than Bing.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:41 am

OS/2 was vastly superior to Windows. I don't mean slightly, in some arcane techo ways, I mean vastly better. It was not far off a full decade ahead. (In some aspects, it is still better, though not too many now.) Windows didn't match early 1990s vintage OS/2 for stability, user interface design, flexibility, or multi-taking power until about the turn of the century. But Windows was marketed by the very best firm in the business (as they were then - not now!) and OS/2 was marketed by IBM who, in consumer space, couldn't sell a cold beer in a crowded desert. Sad, but that's history.

Actually, Netscape did become the browser of choice, but only after a long and messy death, a resurrection on the third day, and couple of name changes by deed poll. In its original incarnation (then still called "Netscape"), Netscape only ever seemed decent because the competition was the worst, buggiest, least secure, most dangerous browser of all time. But it too was marketed by the all-time grandmasters of selling snake oil, and it too went to its grave. But then came the resurrection: Netscape reemerged under a new name (Mozilla, which was actually its old name before it was Netscape) and with vastly improved and modernised code. Bit by bit, it began eating into Internet Explorer's near-total dominance, changing it's name twice more along the way to become Firebird, and then Firefox. After some years, it knocked the horrid Internet Exploder off its perch.

(And then, only a few years later, was itself knocked off by a new and not-very-good browser from a company which was even better at selling stuff to everyone than Microsoft. Well, actually, that's the wrong way about. Microsoft was great at selling things to everyone, Google is superb at selling everyone to things, which is a much cleverer idea.)

In that alternative universe where Myspace bought Facebook, they mismanaged it into oblivion inside two years, then went out of business. No other universe is possible.

I can imagine a universe where Alta Vista remained top dog. I cannot imagine a world where Bing succeeded. Do what you like with the laws of physics, make water flow uphill, mandate two cats in every elementary particle, I still cannot imagine the execrable Bing succeeding.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 am

I haven't come across any banned torrent sites yet, not to say they haven't banned some but the typical ones I am using haven't been blocked.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:32 am

The Prototype wrote:
I haven't come across any banned torrent sites yet, not to say they haven't banned some but the typical ones I am using haven't been blocked.

I say at the Moment they are building a list so they can go to the Courts to Ban the Sites they want Banned

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:38 pm

People are Claiming that Article is out of date and Problems have been fixed

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2423595

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Every cinephile's favourite tracker – which we are no longer at liberty to refer to by name in public, lest it get too much of a profile – was just resurrected last week after being taken down by a Dutch anti-piracy organisation at the end of May. I'm still hoping and praying that it is spared the Wrath of Turnbull.

Frankly, I don't care if the whole Internet gets banned so long as that site stays up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: